Hand gets numb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason my fingers and hands fall a sleep. Shake them off or put the cruise on for a bit and they come back. Normally on my Ultra I don't have this problem. I was thinking that it maybe my riding position and I'm maybe leaning to far forward could be the issue. I have grip puppies and handle bar ends already

I was wondering if there are any favorite risers for the FJR. I read that the company from Germany makes one and installation is pretty easy with no drilling or modifications. I don't believe the stem ball mount would be an issue.

Any imput from u seasoned veterans would be much appreciated

Gen II 2010
Hey Jeff!

For your numbness (which is coming from the "hi-vibe" or high buzz as some call it here.... there is a cure! ...but it will cost you
wink.png

Take that K16GT test drive buddy. Smooth as silk, no vibes at any speeds, no numbness period. 'Nuff said
smile.png
The original poster HOLLYWOOD GT didn't mention a thing about vibration.

Just that his fingers and hands gets numb.

You can see by his avatar pic he's a Big Boy, lots of pressure on his hands when riding.......HOWIE and FRED W. are spot on about the hand nerve thing in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
We put on 430kms today. The issue I had with my left hand is totally gone. My left hand was acting up a little and I found the bar was slightly in more then the other. So I adjusted it when I got home and with try it again. Very happy with the mv risers.
Photos of your nice farkle on the bike??
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

I assume that you chosen the version with the solar thermometer??

My right hand gets numb all the time...thumb, pointer, middle, and sometimes ring.. (never the pinky...that little guy is holding his own...)

For my issue, Howie was spot on(I cant belive i said that...) ... I have some medial nerve issues.. I think they said stiction... (like cheap fork seals... )

go to youtube, search for median nerve excersizes... Neurologist sent me to PT for a month, she taught some new tricks, and it helped me to go from 5 minutes until it got numb, to maybe half hour or so on this bike(stock bars..gonna try mv soon)... twist on the Throttlemeister, move my arm and had a little, and im good for another half hr... the longer the ride, the longer the intervals seem to become after a while.

Look at this... then look more, somthign else may work for you...(yes..i picked the one with the pretty girl... i was hoping it would help keep your attention long enought to maybe help you)

My right hand gets numb all the time...thumb, pointer, middle, and sometimes ring.. (never the pinky...that little guy is holding his own...)
For my issue, Howie was spot on(I cant belive i said that...) ... I have some medial nerve issues.. I think they said stiction... (like cheap fork seals... )

go to youtube, search for median nerve excersizes... Neurologist sent me to PT for a month, she taught some new tricks, and it helped me to go from 5 minutes until it got numb, to maybe half hour or so on this bike(stock bars..gonna try mv soon)... twist on the Throttlemeister, move my arm and had a little, and im good for another half hr... the longer the ride, the longer the intervals seem to become after a while.

Look at this... then look more, somthign else may work for you...(yes..i picked the one with the pretty girl... i was hoping it would help keep your attention long enought to maybe help you)

Good find and smart using the one w a girlie in it (at least for us horn-dawgs here).

It was nice meeting you Sat at Mike's :) Hope to meetup a lot more soon too!

Good find and smart using the one w a girlie in it (at least for us horn-dawgs here).
It was nice meeting you Sat at Mike's
smile.png
Hope to meetup a lot more soon too!
Ya Work with what you got ya know ;)

This stuff really did help me, and I saw the results yesterday and Saturday riding to Eden and back (that really was a paradise hehehe) before i did this stuff, 588 miles would have been filled with discomfort.. and I dont do it a lot like im supposed to (Great talker.. bad listener...) like once or twice a week.

(Hey KJ... You didnt add to your tag line yet... a suggestion: "My name is KJ. I'm a Rally-Ho, I admit I have a drinking problem, AND I will slab for beaver")

Anything that helps get weight off the hands is helpful, and Freds comments were very good. Another inexpensive aid is the Techspec tank pads. These let you better grip the tank with the insides of your legs keeping you from sliding forward. This can make a huge difference in getting weight off the wrists, and is often overlooked.

Anything that helps get weight off the hands is helpful, and Freds comments were very good. Another inexpensive aid is the Techspec tank pads. These let you better grip the tank with the insides of your legs keeping you from sliding forward. This can make a huge difference in getting weight off the wrists, and is often overlooked.
...appreciate this tip...is there any other pad makers that have a more complete padding for the FJR; say, including for the top of the tank?

It was nice meeting you Sat at Mike's
smile.png
Hope to meetup a lot more soon too!
(Hey KJ... You didnt add to your tag line yet... a suggestion: "My name is KJ. I'm a Rally-Ho, I admit I have a drinking problem, AND I will slab for beaver")
LMAO...

That would mean I'm a double Ho! (Ho-Ho?)

Does one has to wear a Nike shirt for this therapy

...cause I was thinking that was the most important part of this video

I had the same issue when I got my bike a year and half ago. Learned riding position and foot placement, which helped, but still had issues. What I discovered as the main culprit was gloves, or how I wore them. I would wrap the end quite snugly, and this was my mistake. Once I wrapped them more loosely, I could ride all day. I assume a restricted blood flow was causing it, as all is good now.

To add to posture checks, you should be able to loosely flap your elbows about whilst riding. If you can't, you have too much pressure on your arms.
I read about this several years ago and do it often on rides. Works well for me except for one annoying flaw. The version I read said to flap your elbows like a chicken. Now every time I do so I fight to get that damn

out of my head.
weirdsmiley.gif

To add to posture checks, you should be able to loosely flap your elbows about whilst riding. If you can't, you have too much pressure on your arms.
I read about this several years ago and do it often on rides. Works well for me except for one annoying flaw. The version I read said to flap your elbows like a chicken. Now every time I do so I fight to get that damn

At least you don't need to worry about head-sets and music while you ride ;) .