Hand guard install issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the current thread on handguard install, but I have a question along similar lines...

I would like to install guards to keep my hands out of the weather, but can't use the favored V-Strom solution. I installed Kuryakyn ISO grips (which I love) and they do not have bar ends. Has anyone uncovered a solution for guard install with no "outside" attachment point?

Black+Kuryakyn+ISO+Grips.jpg

. I installed Kuryakyn ISO grips (which I love) and they do not have bar ends.
Again, the FJRTech article can help. The first picture shows a set of early V-Strom handguards that don't attach at the end. The article was updated as everybody else prefers the end attachments, but you should be able to order an older set of V-Strom handguards and still use the overall wisdom of the article.

I have an old set myself in a drawer. They were suboptimal as they'd move around a bit, but had the newer ones not come to market I think I could have tweaked them to be almost as good.

Hmmm. I installed mine over standard grips with the screw-on bar end. I don't see away with your nice grips to mount the vstrom guards :( .

I have the new ones that are to attach to the bar ends

Since I have a throttlemeister bar end(s), the ends of my hand guards merely rest against those with no attachment...the opening of the ends were made larger so they don't move up and down by themselves. No issues for years that way even thought they don't look purdy but everyone here knows I'm a dedicated function over form guy...

I also added two sets of Gaurald sheet metal windbreaks...one each above & below

6358747093_bb180b0522.jpg

Yo Mikey, cut down those grip ends just a bit and you can still 'attach' the guard ends to the TMs. I have done it on mine. Having those things free-floating would drive me nuts.