• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hand/handlebar covers for riding in inclement weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_pig

Bud Light Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Some of you that PM'd me with interest about a year ago may recall this idea. Admittedly, it has taken me awhile to get rolling, but here we are. My first goal has been to give you all a heads up before most leave for NAFO so you can seek me out if interested and my second goal is to get this set up before the cold weather hits. :cold:

Here is what I can share so far:

The product: Grip covers for inclement weather, made by WaterShed (CLICK for their company website) These things will keep your hands warm and dry. :beach: Note that WaterShed does not currently have these up on their website, but you can learn about the material they're made of. Note that these are only available in the color black, with silver retro-reflective trim.

The price: Currently sold only to law enforcement agencies at $150 a pair. They are willing to do a staggered discount dependent upon the number of orders filled by FJR Forum members. I think it will potentially get down to $100.

I have used their products (jackets and rain pants) at work for about ten years. This stuff is outstanding and these grip covers are made just as well. Their functionality for all of our farkle happy members will be one of the bigger selling points. Refer to the pics and waterproof zips for an example of that. Seriously, these zippers look like they could survive re-entry. You'll have to see them.

2663254874_3cd6f9a378.jpg

2663254250_9087c55597.jpg

2663253710_0d976186f5.jpg

I don't know these folks and am not affiliated with them, however they are based in Salem, where one of my offices is. I called them up after seeing the covers they're making for police bikes, described the Forum and asked about this product for civilian bikes. I was told to "come on by." I finally did just that after my own "ride to work" day last Friday. Met with a mid-level sales rep and pitched the idea of a group buy. This sales person was luke warm and we parted with me agreeing to poll our membership after explaining the product and posting some photos. If it worked out, great. If not, fine, I have very little invested in this and I gave it a shot.

I leave and am standing out in their parking lot making some work calls when a guy pops up in front of me holding his biz card. I hang up, take his card and he introduces himself as the President of WaterShed. Says he wants to talk with me further and despite what his sales person just said, he would be very interested in pursuing this with us.

Long story short, we went back into his office and spoke. I walked out of there 30 minutes later with a sample pair and an agreement with him that I'll make them available for viewing on my bike at NAFO to aid in our group buy.

For those that are interested, when the time comes (NOT NOW), my plan is to have you contact WaterShed on your own, mention the FJR Forum so that the tally rises for our group buy and we shoot for the biggest discount. I am not about to submit orders for others, get involved with shipping or collect any money. Hell no.

What now: Now that the word is out, shoot me a PM. I'll track numbers of those interested so that I can relay to WaterShed and arrange a pre-determined discount. I think this will be a pain, but I don't know another way and I'll deal with it. If you want to see them in person, find me at NAFO and we can go out to the bikes. I'll have them on, too, while out tire kicking. You'll be welcome to try them on your farkle-laden handlebars if so inclined.

:pig_ball:

I'm interested in possibly getting a pair if this goes through. I was looking at 'hippo-hands' last year but decided to wait and decide if I wanted to just get heated gloves instead. I am also curious how quickly you can get your hands out in case of an emergency. I know that if you have to let go of the handlebars it's probably too late to save it at that point, but I'm curious none the less. I'm also interested if they press against the levers at highway speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pig,

Those are pretty popular here in MN. Mostly for sleds..never seen them on a bike. Neat idea.

WW

When I saw the pictures you posted my first thought was "How are these different than Hippo Hands?", which retail for $65 or so. As OlyFJR pointed out, one of the problems with hippo hands is that wind pressure forces them into the brake lever, activating them. And so one really needs to install stiffeners of some kind inside them.

I ended up installing V-Strom hand guards as an alternative.

But I'd be interested to have a look at these at NAFO and see how they addressed the "lever contact" problem.

When I saw the pictures you posted my first thought was "How are these different than Hippo Hands?", which retail for $65 or so. As OlyFJR pointed out, one of the problems with hippo hands is that wind pressure forces them into the brake lever, activating them. And so one really needs to install stiffeners of some kind inside them.
I ended up installing V-Strom hand guards as an alternative.

But I'd be interested to have a look at these at NAFO and see how they addressed the "lever contact" problem.
Not having seen that particular hippo hand model in person, I can only speak from what I see in the photos on that website.

This WaterShed model looks to be significantly handier (no pun intended) for packing on your bike. The WaterShed model is thinner and flexible, making it easier to fold and store. I have not spent serious time in the saddle with them on yet, but from what I can tell, their weight, or lack of, will make it difficult to generate force on the brake or clutch lever. I think a "stiffener" will create a wing of some type with this fabric and is unnecessary. I also think you might prefer the waterproof zippers for farkles growing off the handlebar. I saw one photo on the Hippo Hands website where the mirror was poking out - it looked like there was plenty of space for water to pour through. Maybe that's the photo, though, I don't know.

Like you said, take a look at these at NAFO. As for everything for the bike, it's probably not for everyone, but I just wanted to make them available to those who are interested.

I am also curious how quickly you can get your hands out in case of an emergency. I know that if you have to let go of the handlebars it's probably too late to save it at that point, but I'm curious none the less.
Your hands are not too deep into these. Just deep enough to keep your hands warmer and dry. I'm about as anal with safety as you can possibly get and I don't have an issue with riding with these on the handlebars.

I was getting a performance award up in Skagit Co Washington here a few weeks back and the Moto Officer had them on his bike. He was pretty well sold on them saying that they are easy on easy off and with his grip warmers he never had issues with cold hands.

I have the V-Strom hand Gaurds and ST1330 heated grips and these might not be a bad thing to add for the winter up here, that is if the price is right.

I use a very similar product on my quad in the winter, I just hate gloves. They work great, Id be interested in a set of those for the fej

They work great, Id be interested in a set of those for the fej
Please send me a PM if so. I'm tracking those interested in my message box for the time being. Trying to make this as easy on myself as possible. Thanks.

Will these fit over V-Strom hand guards? If you don't know yet, we can check it out next week....I'll bring some (hand guards) to NAFO.

Will these fit over V-Strom hand guards? If you don't know yet, we can check it out next week....I'll bring some (hand guards) to NAFO.
I think they will, but I don't know because I don't have any. Do bring them to NAFO and we'll try it out. The opening that slides over the handelbars is made to be pretty wide if necessary. Find me.