• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hand/handlebar covers for riding in inclement weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump.

I know this isn't the most likely farkle you're considering in this type of weather, but I'll need to set this up now so we have them by the time the weather hits. Invest for the future...

Reminder that I have a set I'm bringing for show 'n tell. Look me up at NAFO - I'll be on the blue '06. :eek:inksmiley:

How did these do at NAFO?
Work with the Suzuki had guards that Toecutter has?
Sorry, been meaning to update on this matter since I got home late Monday.

I was able to field test the covers a couple of times on the NAFO trip. Put them on in an eastern Oregon thunderstorm. It only lasted about 10-15 minutes, but I kept the covers on for awhile after that. They worked well. Used them again on my trip down from Mt. Evans and back to the Marriott during a hail and rain storm. There, they worked really well.

I parked next to an '04 with VStrom handguards one day at NAFO and put the covers on it. They fit awesome. In fact, if I'm being honest, they fit better. The handguards provided a little support for the cover to "stand up" around the handlebar and lever. It should be noted that I never had a problem with the cover activating the brake light, as some were concerned.

Over the next week or two, I hope to get back down to Watershed and meet with their folks on the results of the FJR field test and how far they'd be willing to go on the group buy, based on the bit of interest shown.

I had a number of people express interest at NAFO, but I couldn't keep track well enough, so please shoot me a PM if you're interested in a set of these. We're on the bubble of reaching an amount worthy of a discount. If we don't achieve that amount, I will still provide purchase/contact info for Watershed if you're interested in picking up a set at the regular cost.

FJR_pig,

Thanks for the follow up on seeing if they work with the handguards and if there was any problems with them contacting the levers. :clapping:

I'm definitely interested now. PM sent.

Final bump

Last call. I hope to meet with Watershed this week or next. I don't believe we have enough interest to sustain a group buy, but we're on the bubble.

Will update after the meeting to provide details of the GB or contact info if you wish to pursue individual orders.

Jason

Final bump
Last call. I hope to meet with Watershed this week or next. I don't believe we have enough interest to sustain a group buy, but we're on the bubble.

Will update after the meeting to provide details of the GB or contact info if you wish to pursue individual orders.

Jason
Are they FJR specific? If not, open it up to ST.N that should get it over the top.

Jason,

Any updates on these? I'm starting to feel the little something in the air telling me it's time to start thinking about solutions to these irritations :derisive:

Thanks,

Jim

When I saw the pictures you posted my first thought was "How are these different than Hippo Hands?", which retail for $65 or so. As OlyFJR pointed out, one of the problems with hippo hands is that wind pressure forces them into the brake lever, activating them. And so one really needs to install stiffeners of some kind inside them
You are right on with keeping the cloth off your hands.It also defeats the purpose of having your hands in a air pocket,so the wind doesn't press the fabric against them.

I think they do much better than heated grips,and heated gloves.The ones I had in the mid 70's,had stiffeners that kept it away from my hands,and levers.My hands can ride in comfort with just summer gloves,in temps.as low as 15º ± (which I can say,from having done it over Christmas from Denver,to Danville,Va.,and back.

Whatever brand you buy/make....go with stiffeners!

I,'ve made a pair,all you need to do is sew a sleeve inside,and leave one end open to slide a piece of soft aluminium in so you can take it out to wash.

Jason,
Any updates on these? I'm starting to feel the little something in the air telling me it's time to start thinking about solutions to these irritations :derisive:

Thanks,

Jim
I hear you. It is going to be that time of year very soon here, too. I tried to set this up over the summer - I knew it would take some time and a bit of convincing to buy something like this mid-summer, but getting folks to look long range on this was an uphill battle. Now, here we are and unfortunately, there was not enough interest around here to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer to agree to a group buy.

They don't currently sell this product to civilians. I believe they will be available soon, but it may not be in time for this season. If that changes, I will update immediately. I talk to the manufacturer regularly for a few reasons.

I apologize for the drop in communication on this.

Jason,

Thanks,

Jim
I hear you. It is going to be that time of year very soon here, too. I tried to set this up over the summer - I knew it would take some time and a bit of convincing to buy something like this mid-summer, but getting folks to look long range on this was an uphill battle. Now, here we are and unfortunately, there was not enough interest around here to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer to agree to a group buy.

They don't currently sell this product to civilians. I believe they will be available soon, but it may not be in time for this season. If that changes, I will update immediately. I talk to the manufacturer regularly for a few reasons.

no appologies required Mr Pig - I for one really appreciate you looking into this for us all.

Good on ya! - cheers - Bull

Thanks for the trouble . I'll keep watching :pilot:

Admins - will you please move this thread to the "FJR Vendor Offers" section of the Forum? Seems more appropriate to relocate at this point. Thank you again for your support on this (Warchild and Ignacio).

All - Significant changes have occurred surrounding the availability of this product as originally planned. After the group buy fell through due to insufficient interest, a fellow-forum member (Sockmonkey) and I stood up a company called Sport/Touring Specialties, based out of Tualatin, Oregon. We are making these grip covers available through our company now and hope to have other premium sport touring products available soon, too. We are shipping out our first batch this week to some forum members who remained persistent on the purchase of these and are committed to warm/dry hands - very exciting!

At the risk of getting into too much detail here and using the Forum as an advertising vehicle, I will hold off on further information and ask that you PM or email me at [email protected] should you have interest in pursuing the purchase of the grip covers. You may also email Sockmonkey at [email protected]. No website yet, but it is on the way.

Thanks!

Jason, ...a.k.a. FJR_pig, ...a.k.a. new small business owner :)

:pig_ball:

Mine arrived today as well, they look nice!

Thanks again for all the legwork, research and getting this done.

Mine are on in five minutes with no instructions! Dam that flat tire I want to try them out! Thanks for the good service guys.