Hand Warmers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you are waiting for the folks to answer your questions, copy and paste this line, including the quote marks into the search box: "hippo hands" and browse through some of the relevant threads.

Thanks Alan, remember we spoke a few years ago regarding heated grips? I ended up getting the oem Yamaha grips. I,m happy with them however I find that my fingertips still get cold. I just ordered a pair of Hippo Hands so we,ll see if that "completes the package" thanks

Does anyone have those Atv/Motorcycle hand warmers that go over the handlebars that you stick your whole hand into? I,ve seen them on ATVs and wonder if they would work ok on the bike? Looks like you stick your whole hand into it as it fits over the bars and covers the brake and clutch handles. Anyone know what I mean? do they work?
They work very well, I love 'em, and have used them 12 months/year for a few hundred thousand miles. With heated grips, you can use lighter gloves for better control feel when traction is less than ideal (snow, mud). In any conditions, they will keep your hands warmer and drier, more easily.

To keep them from backing into the levers at speed, add a set of handguards from a V-Strom or (maybe, experiment pending, and probably expensive) a Super Tenere. The original Hippo Hands don't have much room around the control switches, and can be difficult to get an ideal fit, but work well enough. The Moto Mitts are very expensive ($200!), but have nice waterproof dual zippers on two tracks along the top, which gives more flexibiltiy to fit them around everything that's mounted to the bars. They also have much more room around, and therefore, better access to, those switches.

Do you have the V Strom hand guards with your hippo hands? does this combo work well?

John Ryan

Have a pair of cheapo QuadBoss and they work great. Keeps your hands much warmer and as others mentioned you can use lighter gloves with heated grips. To reduce the chance of an errant brake light, make a stand off from the bar end weight to hold the mitt away from the brake lever.

For cold weather riding they are a worthwhile investment.

--G
Are the Quadboss covers large enough to fit over Vstrom hand guards?

The $9 ATV/4wheeler covers from Bi-Mart are large enough to fit over my Vstrom hand guards, I would presume that the Quadboss covers would too.

Have a pair of cheapo QuadBoss and they work great. Keeps your hands much warmer and as others mentioned you can use lighter gloves with heated grips. To reduce the chance of an errant brake light, make a stand off from the bar end weight to hold the mitt away from the brake lever.

For cold weather riding they are a worthwhile investment.

--G
Are the Quadboss covers large enough to fit over Vstrom hand guards?
Nope. You'd have to hack up the [bar] hole to get over the hand guards and even then, the front to back length [iMO] wouldn't be long enough. I use these from Cycra that mount on the bar end only. The front to back length of the muffs is OK with them. For VStrom guards I'm afraid the only options are large Hippo Hands or WaterShed.

--G