Handgun on a bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurry vision

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I live in CA a state where getting a CCW permit is very hard or comes at a high price, I've never carried my legally registered handgun on my bike (gun in one bag ammo in the other), I'm leaning on the side of bringing it with me since I am traveling alone on my road trip and you never know what may come your way. I will research the laws for the states I'm traveling in. Any guys or gals you ride with a weapon on their bike your pointers are greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, I live in CA a state where getting a CCW permit is very hard or comes at a high price, I've never carried my legally registered handgun on my bike (gun in one bag ammo in the other), I'm leaning on the side of bringing it with me since I am traveling alone on my road trip and you never know what may come your way. I will research the laws for the states I'm traveling in. Any guys or gals you ride with a weapon on their bike your pointers are greatly appreciated

Tour Arizona. We are a state that gets the second amendment and allows it's citizens to carry openly or concealed with a permit. NRA is your best resource on traveling with a firearm. I will tell you I usually carry when I ride, but I won't tell you where or when. I wrote a lot more but deleted it because it was a rant against anti-gun folks and not on topic.

Burk

Last edited by a moderator:
Carrying a gun in your bike is useless, when the shit hits the fan it will do so quickly and that gun in the bike will not help you. Of course there are always exceptions but if you cant have it on you dont bother. IMHO...this is even more true if you have to separate the ammo from the gun like many states require...

I carry a can of pepper spray in the tank bag that is easily accessible for minor miscreants... The other, More permanent attitude adjuster is the last resort.

It seems to me the choice of CCW is more significant than being able to quickly access it while riding a bike. Its hard to imagine a situation where the brake or throttle wouldn't be a better solution. Anyone with a CCW permit knows your legal standing is jeopardized by not taking reasonable action to avoid a confrontation.

Like many others have said, I highly suggest you read up on what it means to carry a weapon on you and what you can and can't do legally with it. Also read up on carrying concealed. Get an understanding of what each state considers carrying concealed. Understand what can legally happen to you if you have a weapon on you in the states you'll be traveling in. Think about situations where you might need to use a weapon and if you think you'll actually be able to. Decide then if you feel its worth it to you.

I carry mine in a few different ways. Being law enforcement, I don't have to worry about it as we can carry in all states regardless of where we are comissioned. I sometimes carry mine in my tank bag. I sometimes will wear a holster and carry it on my side. Usually a Sig P226 when carrying in that manner. I recently purchased one of the 5.11 tactical concealed carry shirts that has pockets made under the arms that will hold a small frame handgun. I carry a Bursa .380 or IAI .380 when wearing that shirt, and you don't even know it's there. Works well, only downside is that if you go sliding down the concrete you have that hard piece of steel digging in to you. I like to have my handgun accessible, but I agree with the earlier post about things happening quickly while on the bike. The chances of you being able to use a handgun while riding are pretty slim for a variety of reasons. I carry mine so I can have it while OFF the bike. Eating, sight-seeing, etc....

Anyone with a CCW permit knows your legal standing is jeopardized by not taking reasonable action to avoid a confrontation.
All joking aside, This is the truth.

Numero Uno- Can you live with the fact that you shot and killed someone? If not, Don't carry a gun.

Numero Dos- Don't shoot to maim... EVER!

Numero Tres- Have 10k minimum for your lawyer retainer fees.

I have several more rules for carrying, But these are the most important to think about before drawing your gun, Or even carrying a gun.

It seems to me the choice of CCW is more significant than being able to quickly access it while riding a bike. Its hard to imagine a situation where the brake or throttle wouldn't be a better solution. Anyone with a CCW permit knows your legal standing is jeopardized by not taking reasonable action to avoid a confrontation.
I would not carry a handgun for legal self defense on my bike, to be used while on my bike, but I damn sure would be glad to have it with me when I got there.

After a summer camping trip, there were a few times we camped in some very rural mountainous areas, where we should have brought a weapon due to the wildlife. Since I tow a trailer when we camp, I could easily carry my 30-30 in a padded case.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/ is an excellent resource for state by state laws.

You're pretty much always safe transporting (in the US) if it's locked in a case, unloaded, separate from ammo and inaccessible from where you sit.

I have a concealed carry permit for OH and FL. BTW, out of state residents can get a non-resident FL permit that is valid in many states throughout the US: https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf If I'm traveling on the road, it goes with me. I have yet to carry it on me while I ride, but I like to have it on the bike so I can take it with me while I'm off the bike(if it's allowed where I'm at). Or if something were to happen, i.e. breakdown, out of gas, well then I've got it for peace of mind if that happens at an inopportune time and/or location.

When I bought my FJR (used) I flew 600 miles away to meet a total stranger and hand him cash for the bike so I could ride it home alone. I did speak with him several times and felt he was who he represented himself to be. Regardless, my concealed carry pistol flew with me, was present for the meet and p/u, and then rode home in the saddlebag. FWIW, my concealed carry license was good in MO, where we met, and every state except Illinois on the way home.

I live by the "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" school of thought. I pray I'll never need one to protect myself or my family. I would bring it with me, but you probably already guessed that.

-Paul

Carrying a gun in your bike is useless, when the shit hits the fan it will do so quickly and that gun in the bike will not help you. Of course there are always exceptions but if you cant have it on you dont bother. IMHO...this is even more true if you have to separate the ammo from the gun like many states require...
What if you have to sleep outside, with the critters and low-life's & such?

I was once in the "needed one and didn't have it" situation. Thought I might have had to single-handedly fight to keep my date from getting snatched by at least three thugs.

Never again....

In Calif., you don't need to have the handgun and ammunition in separate locked containers (e.g., saddlebags), but it must be unloaded and in a locked container "in" the vehicle. (Statue says "in" but I'll presume that since they weren't really considering a motorcycle, strapping a locked container to the bike would be the same as throwing a locked container on the seat of a car.) I've heard conflicting opinions on this, and some people say that the ammunition and handgun must be carried separately, but the statute only says that you may not have the ammunition attached to or in the gun. (I.e., no rounds in the chamber, wheel gun cylinders or magazine if the magazine is in the gun.) BTW, the statute specifically precludes a locked glove box in a car from qualifying as the necessary "locked container", but I don't have any reason to believe that the locked saddlebag on our bikes doesn't qualify.

Three potential violations here -- carrying concealed, carrying loaded in a place accessable to the public, and carrying an unregistered firearm when committing either of the first two. The last one is a felony. (I won't bother going into the BS about having to carry it to and from the vehicle in a locked container, and assume that in most circumstances, you do that in a place where it's otherwise legal to carry it concealed -- like on your property or at your campsite.) The registration BS -- in Calif., only handguns and assault weapons must be registered. If you bought it in Calif. within the last 25 years or so, it's registered. If you bought it while residing in another state, you have 60 days from the time you move into Calif (moved here with intent to make Calif your residence) to register it with the DOJ. If you don't and get busted carrying illegally (loaded or concealed -- typically misdemeanors if no priors, not a felon, etc.), you get a felony charge for the lack of registration, too.

In Calif., you can carry concealed and/or loaded at your residence, and for the purpose of the statutes, they consider your temporary lodging (e.g., motel or campsite) as the same thing. BUT . . . that is only if it is not otherwise prohibited in those locations. E.g., you probably don't want to be doing that in a campsite that is in a State Park, nor do you want to have a gun within 1000 yards of a school. I won't go into open carry.

The Calif statutory scheme is so convoluted that it is almost impossible to adequately grasp. Amazingly, the DOJ publication synopsizing Calif gun laws leaves a number of questions unanswered, and tells you that if you have any questions, consult a LEO or attorney. LOL -- this from THE friggin' authority on it!!! Most attorneys cannot begin to tell you the answer to many gun law questions and would charge you for doing the research. Even criminal defense attorneys are not thoroughly conversant with the gun laws, since their primary exposure is simply to research and know the fairly narrow application to specific charges they've encountered in the few cases where they have had to defend such charges. LEOs have given conflicting opinions on a number of issues -- whether the magazine must be in a separate container from the locked up weapon is just one such discussion I've been a party to in a gun shop with a LEO (there's at least one other statutory provision relating to weapons and ammunition in the same area that is deceptively similar and confuses the issue). Another beaut is the question of what qualifies as a place that is accessible to the public for the purpose of the prohibition against carrying loaded. I'm not knocking LEOs at all here -- the point is that the California gun laws are SO damn convoluted that it is VERY difficult for anyone to adequately know all potentially applicable prohibitions, even for those of us with law degrees -- unless you specialize in it, and I can only think of one lawyer I think might fit that criteria off the top of my head.

So, I feel secure carrying an unloaded and registered handgun in my locked saddlebag to and from my residence and places of lodging/campsites. If you have a legitimate need to defend yourself with deadly force, you get a pass for concealed/loaded possession and brandishing it at the threat also. (NOT suggesting brandishing or use of weapon for anything BUT last resort here.) I'll take the chance that that will cover me if I am stranded by the side of the road and need to pull it out to thwart a bad guy, though the chances are that I'll at least try to get my bike off the right of way just in case the powers disagree with me -- may not help much, but California roadways are pretty much the highest example of where you are usually not allowed to carry a loaded firearm.

I was once in the "needed one and didn't have it" situation. Thought I might have had to single-handedly fight to keep my date from getting snatched by at least three thugs.
Never again....
Toe -- late one night long ago (~ 34 years) as a 23 y.o. college student in Reno, I was with my date and a friend with his when two huge thugs invited themselves to sit with us and crowded into our restaurant booth to intimidate all of us and try to leave with our dates. VERY weird and scary, and I was wishing I had my Python with me that night while trying to calmly negotiate a bad circumstance that the restaurant was doing nothing about. Fortunately, we had finished eating when they barged in, and we somehow managed to get out of there after enduring about 15 minutes of truly unique intimidation. Don't know that I'd have done anything differently if carrying (and without a CCW in Calif, still never do in those circumstances), but I know I'd have felt a LOT better about the situation if the odds were more even in the event they had taken it any further.

I would not carry a handgun for legal self defense on my bike, to be used while on my bike, but I damn sure would be glad to have it with me when I got there.

There is no way I would be able to use my weapon while on the bike..ain't gonna happen. +1 on the above comment.