Handgun on a bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard that a Kahr PM9 in a Crossbreed supertuck holster is a good combo off bike. Nice hunk of leather between you and the gun. On bike I've heard that a simple sleeve holster in the tank bag works good and can be easily transferred into a jacket or pants pocket.

Oh and handgunlaw.us is an excellent site for understanding reciprocity and each state's individual carry laws.... so I'm told.

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Obviously, the biggest one - Which gun do you carry and what went into the decision to use that particualar gun? What do you like or dislike about it? I'm trying to select a style and caliber of gun first, then concentrate on manufacturers. Is this the wrong way to do this type of research?

2. Where do you keep the gun on your bike? Do you have some kind of special holster or other accessory that makes things easier when traveling with the gun?

3. Do you have a concealed weopons permit and to the best of your knowledge, are there any places you can't bring your gun even with that permit?
1. Walther PPS 9mm. Single stack, which contributes to it being a good choice for CC. Single stack means the rounds sit on top of each other in one stack in the magazine, allowing it to be narrower in the grip than a double stack, and due to this, easier to conceal.

2. In the Smuggler. Loaded.

3. Yes, I have a CHL, and there are places in Texas that a gun cannot be carried into, even with a CHL. That info is delineated in the class that is mandatory to obtain the CHL, called out in the manual given out in the class, and also declared in signs posted at the doors of the establishments. For a great website for information on Concealed Carry, I recommend USA Carry, which includes a map where you can select your home state, and learn what other states accept your permit: https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html I feel for the folks in Illinois...

Illinois ban on concealed carry has been ruled unconstitutional, the state was given 180 days to enact laws in regards to concealed carry.

Hopefully Illinois will be correcting that issue shortly.

House Bill HBO154 is in committee now, so we'll see.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=85&GA=98&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=0154&GAID=12&LegID=69138&SpecSess=&Session=

...A good general rule of thumb is to put the gun in one saddlebag and the rounds in the other, preferably not already in a magazine...
Huh?! I hope you mean you have a fully loaded magazine in the pistol also. Otherwise, why carry?! My Ruger LCP in .380 Auto is a darn fine little concealable weapon. Yes, I'd rather be carrying my Para Ordinance P12-45, but it's too bulky for easy concealment in riding gear.
Pants was looking for something to protect himself once stopped for the day. I can't imagine carrying while riding, thinking I could ride and wield at the same time.

Pull in to a campsite, load up a magazine and go to sleep. Simple.

My opinion was based on appeasing any LEO's one might encounter. Yes it's probably overkill but,,,, you hate to look like you're itching for a fight.

YMMV

First - mods/admin thanks for merging my thread into this thread. Good information here.

Second - several of you have sent me PM's with your opinions on my questions. Thank you for doing such as I am learning a lot already.

Originally I thought I might want to carry the handgun in my tank bag, but upon more thinking, Boker is making sense. My primary concern is some protection when I'm out in the middle of no where camping by myself or with 1 or 2 other people.

I have read that website regarding concealed carry permitting (reciprocity and the like) - again, very informative. Hopefully when I take the CCW class, I will learn exactly where I can and cannot have the handgun.

Regarding which gun to buy, 15 youtube videos have revealed 15 different opinions. I'll have to find another way. Some police officer friends have offered to take me to the vendor they use for guns/ammo/accessories and shooting range. The owner there should be able to let me try out a selection and I hope I will get a good eduction then.

Until then, as always, I'd appreciate any advice you are willing to share.

Shoot a bunch of different guns. Make sure you try revolver, double action, striker fired, single action, da/sa, etc. There are considerably differences between the grips and trigger actions of various pistols out there. Find one that feels good. Take those LEOs up on their offer.

Unfortunately, I live in CA a state where getting a CCW permit is very hard or comes at a high price, I've never carried my legally registered handgun on my bike (gun in one bag ammo in the other), I'm leaning on the side of bringing it with me since I am traveling alone on my road trip and you never know what may come your way. I will research the laws for the states I'm traveling in. Any guys or gals you ride with a weapon on their bike your pointers are greatly appreciated
If you adhere to California law you should be good anywhere else with the possible exception of Communist China! (Don't hold me to this) I too am an oppressed CA resident.

Carrying a gun in your bike is useless, when the shit hits the fan it will do so quickly and that gun in the bike will not help you. Of course there are always exceptions but if you cant have it on you dont bother. IMHO...this is even more true if you have to separate the ammo from the gun like many states require...
Respectfully disagree. The possible scenarios are endless.

hppants had a situation come up recently (here) that led to the revival of this thread, and the availability of a handgun may have prevented a real bad outcome in that case. BUT . . . that had nothing to do with carrying concealed while riding. That's a real different thing from transporting an unloaded, locked-away weapon--legal most everywhere, I think. And in Pants' case, sounds like the gun had been stored during the ride.

I think the FJR is an incredibly effective tool for getting yourself out of most every kind of bad situation that would come up on a bike trip. And there are plenty of far less extreme options when you can't just accelerate away than pulling a gun; many of them are even legal.

Me, I get into damn few shoot-outs, so I'm OK with not carrying on my person. I am starting to think about putting my S&W into a sidecase, though, on some of the long solo camping trips I take, thanks to the post I mentioned above.

1. Obviously, the biggest one - Which gun do you carry and what went into the decision to use that particualar gun? What do you like or dislike about it? I'm trying to select a style and caliber of gun first, then concentrate on manufacturers. Is this the wrong way to do this type of research?
2. Where do you keep the gun on your bike? Do you have some kind of special holster or other accessory that makes things easier when traveling with the gun?

3. Do you have a concealed weopons permit and to the best of your knowledge, are there any places you can't bring your gun even with that permit?

Friends - I know that for the most part this forum is widely entertaining. But please, this is a very serious matter to me right now. I don't want to mis-interpret any advice you offer. I really appreciate in advance any suggestions you may have.

Cheers.

1- My preference for a CCW weapon is a Kahr PM9 with Federal Premium 147 gr Hydra-Shock JHP ammo. Easily concealable, very light weight, thin, excellent trigger but an expensive purchase.

IMG_2974.jpg

2- De Santis belt side Holster with thumb break that provides security while doing anything active. When traveling through a state that does not allow my use of the belt side holster I unload the weapon and keep a loaded clip in a separate location from the unloaded handgun that I encase in a form fitting plastic case in my tank bag.

https://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=De-Santis-Belt-Slide-Holster-leather-Black-Left1139.jpg&w=326&h=278

3- yes I have a ccw permit. Loaded and on my side is not happening in CA.

Hope this helps and take all training very seriously. Be sure you know when you can use deadly force and that you are aware of the repercussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get a CCW permit, you have to give up some basic human rights.

You can no longer flip the bird at the asshat that just pulled out in front of you without looking.

You can no longer tell some belligerent asshat to fuk off.

You can no longer return some lowlifes beady glare.

You are no longer allowed to get angry!

Walk softly my friend...

When you get a CCW permit, you have to give up some basic human rights.You can no longer flip the bird at the asshat that just pulled out in front of you without looking.

Walk softly my friend...
+10

When you get a CCW permit, you have to give up some basic human rights.You can no longer flip the bird at the asshat that just pulled out in front of you without looking.

Walk softly my friend...
+10
Hi Rich. Glad to see you woke up.

My compliments on the wonderful and sensible responses here. I can agree with every one since Pants resurrected this thread so either we are all smart together or else you are all as demented as I am.

What SacramentMike said about using the FJR to get yourself out of a bind makes excellent sense. The only time I ever even thought I would need a gun while riding occurred on a trip in Arkansas. A biker gang asshat pulled out of a gas station right in front of me and my little group of 4. The rest of the "gang" had to pull out behind us. This enraged them, you figure the logic. They would pull up alongside and shout their displeasure, make rude hand gestures and generally looked like idiots. Had it just been myself and Dad, the ST and the FJR could easily have put enough distance between us that it might have even been fun. However, I had two of my cousins with me, one on a Harley Street Glide, the other on a Honda Shadow 750.

Dad finally was ready to do battle, I did not want to end my motorcycle vacation in an Arkansas jail. Finally, they all got around us. To this day I feel a tinge of cowardice. To let that go was very very difficult for me. The thing is, they had no idea what they were up against. They could not have known that the "sheep" in our little group were in fact "sheep dogs" that were armed. A confrontation would have ended very badly for us all. Dad taught me at a very early age that carrying a weapon created a certain responsibility. A very heavy responsibility. Once you pull that trigger, you can't say "Sorry" and take it back.

A biker gang asshat . . . rest of the "gang" . . . enraged them . . . shout their displeasure . . . rude hand gestures . . .

The thing is, they had no idea what they were up against. They could not have known that the "sheep" in our little group were in fact "sheep dogs" that were armed. A confrontation would have ended very badly for us all.
Ugly situation, RH. Maybe even uglier than you knew. How sure are you they weren't armed too? Don't you ever watch "Sons of Anarchy," for pete's sake? :lol: Of the many outcomes, a gun battle would have been about the worst. I think the way yours turned out was about the best.

A biker gang asshat . . . rest of the "gang" . . . enraged them . . . shout their displeasure . . . rude hand gestures . . .

The thing is, they had no idea what they were up against. They could not have known that the "sheep" in our little group were in fact "sheep dogs" that were armed. A confrontation would have ended very badly for us all.
Ugly situation, RH. Maybe even uglier than you knew. How sure are you they weren't armed too? Don't you ever watch "Sons of Anarchy," for pete's sake?
laugh.png
Of the many outcomes, a gun battle would have been about the worst. I think the way yours turned out was about the best.
Agreed. I have heard of situations where even the CHP doesn't want to deal with those Mofos. Best to avoid a biker gang MC. Rude gestures and comments don't deserve a bullet in return or a bloodbath.. Let the asshats be asshats let them get around you or put some distance between you and them (best done in the twisties - in the straights some of those modded Harley POS can move at a good clip).

The MC gang knew you guys were law abiding citizens, not respected 1% ers like themselves.

Due to the 2nd amendment they may have been held in check by the thought that you may be armed.

If guns were illegal they would have felt a secure advantage.

"a few sessons at the range" aren't enough to instill the muscle memory needed during a high stress self defense situation. get the CHL training, then go to a firearms self defense class (perferably an intro, intermediate, and advanced with lots of practive in between).

Drill, drill, drill.

Armed or not, you made the right choice, given the background you've laid out here. The enemy in this case made an assumption that strength in numbers would prevail regardless. Had they escalated the situation, you would have been in a bad place - darned if you do (stop and confront) darned if you don't (duty to retreat).

I have been blessed in the fact that I've never been forced to the point of deadly force out of uniform, as you said, you can not say "I'm sorry". Tactically, in a one to many situation, you are still at a disadvantage (you armed, then not) - marksmanship would have to be will get you so far, but how many would have to go down before you bent the will of the mob?

How does this tie to riding and carrying? Run the scenario - could you have stopped, dismounted, drawn, fired, and maneuvered to escape attack or return fire? Ride on was the right decision, armed or not, because you are here today. Change any single detail or action of the scenario, and the entire outcome changes. You had to consider the best course of action for you entire group, which you did, IMHO.

Think about this next time you are at the range - how fast can you draw (if the range allows) raise from the ready position, acquire the (static) target, and fire one well aimed round? Now two on one target, now multiple targets? Now move to cover while engaging the target. How quickly can you stop the bike, draw, acquire, fire?

Training can never stop. No one can give you the right answer for any give situation during the event- you can only come to the best answer you can at that exact moment time.

practice. practice. practice...

Dad finally was ready to do battle, I did not want to end my motorcycle vacation in an Arkansas jail. Finally, they all got around us. To this day I feel a tinge of cowardice. To let that go was very very difficult for me. The thing is, they had no idea what they were up against. They could not have known that the "sheep" in our little group were in fact "sheep dogs" that were armed. A confrontation would have ended very badly for us all. Dad taught me at a very early age that carrying a weapon created a certain responsibility. A very heavy responsibility. Once you pull that trigger, you can't say "Sorry" and take it back.

A cool head on a motorcycle is absolutely essential for survival...in all sorts of situations. Pride and machismo will get people hurt and you never really know if it'll be you or them. When dealing with a large group of azzhats, the teenage cell phone driver or the road-rage idiot, putting distance between you and them is the best course, however sometimes you need to do it in a non-provoking kind of way, especially with the large group of azzhats. Moving to the right and making it easier for them to get by will almost always de-escalate the situation. They can carry on being 1% cool morons and you can continue on knowing the truth.