Handlsing with topcase attached

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found the screen does have an effect. The smaller the screen, and lower (in other words, smaller frontal area) seems to minimise the disturbed airflow effect. This observation is subjective. I ride with a screen that is about 4 in higher and 2 in wider than stock, and if I feel the 'airflow effect' (when riding fast with a topbox and no pillion) lowering the screen improves 'steadiness'.
I am wondering about the screen as well. I have what I believe to be a CalSci screen I had on for the cooler months, and I didn't notice any squirreleyness with that, but than I just can't remember if I did the higher speed / top box combo much with that screen on... Now I have a much smaller CeeBaileys flip screen on, which does seem to let quit a bit more buffeting through to my helmet in heavy highway traffic. The screen could very well be the difference for why some have this issue and others do not.

In the meantime I found a nice closeout Nelson Rigg CL100 at Newenough.com for $46 plus shipping. I'll see how much that improves the bikes backside. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Run with a GIVI top box and side bags on all the time. No issues at all with stability or handling. Just did a 1600 mile run across Nevada and back - speeds in triple digits some times and afternoon cross winds with gusts up to 40-50 mph, now with cross winds that high you are leaning over to ride in a straight line anyway but otherwise very stable.

Riding solo with a Givi V46 and a VStream windshield I get a noticeable weave at anything above 60 mph. I'm in agreement with others that have surmised that the windshield has a large impact on the airflow around the rider. Adding a passenger eliminates the weaving. I've noticed the same thing to a much lesser degree with a MG Norge and an Aprilia Caponord using the same Givi V46.

An interesting item to add when discussing the buffeting is what windscreen you are using. Does it make a difference? For example, the Rifle screens allow a lot more air to pass under the screen, which decreases the back pressure you feel with a stock screen. I wonder if this smooths out the air enough between the rider and the top case so that any buffeting is lessened? If you feel a lot of buffeting, could you change screens to reduce the effect?
+1. The problem could be buffeting that can involve pretty large (10's of pounds) side load forces at elevated freeway speeds. The airflow around the case is predominantly influenced by you and your windscreen. Play with riding position in the speed range where this is occurring. If it IS buffeting, you should be able to make it come and go just by moving forward and backward on the bike. Go run the test and tell us what happens.

W2

I can attest to dancing at a high rate of speed. Over the weekend trip, we hit 140mph on gps and my fathers bike was "dancing" to the point that I could see it from my vantage point. I think it started to happen around the 130mph zone. Besides that, I don't think there was any "dancing".

Did a IronButt 1800 mi. ride with no issues. Is your load in you case secure and not shifting around?

Been discussed before, but yes, that is a known condition, at least at some speeds and prevailing wind conditions. Cause and cure might be a little different than you think, though. Seems that it's a phenomenon that occurs only when 1 up, and that it may be the result of the air turbulence created by the vacant pillion seat.

After reading that diagnosis from someone else on the board maybe 4 years ago, and having experienced the vacant pillion with top case dance (while living in northern Nevada), I tried to duplicate it both with a pillion rider and with the pillion seat taken up with tail bag and tent/sleeping bag, etc on top of it. Couldn't get the bike to dance either way. So, I've continued to fill that space one way or another if I have the top box on and am going to be in windy areas or above certain speeds. As a result, I haven't experienced that dancing in years. YMMV

I have the same issue with the GIVI as well - dancing around. This only occurs at speeds above 65 or so. I agree with Eskibum when the pillon space is filled with either SO or tents sleeping bags, etc it is minimized. I also think that the weight and size of the rider contribute to this issue as well. It is a little unerving, but just lighten your grip and let the bike go where it may.......with minimal correction.

J

I have the same situation, but also a solution: Only use the trunk with a pillion.

If no pillion is readily available, then blow one up:

21189_large.jpg

But please... be sure that she (or he) is ATGATT!!!

(edit: anyone seen any good waterproof boots for a "woman" with no feet?)