Hang up and drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The public-safety community really stepped up and convinced the legislators that were on the fence,
Unfortunately, I think these are the same people that won't allow lane sharing, target motorcycle riders in traffic enforcement, and generally are not very supportive of the motorcycle community in general. It also won't be a very big step to prevent people including us from using GPS or hand-free cell in the future.

I prefer it remained a secondary offense. Folks that weave, squatting in the left lane, or committing other infractions would get pulled over for that and popped anyway.

Texting....yeah I gotta agree with that part. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope that works better for you than it did down here in California. It's been a year since the law went into effect, and I barely notice a difference. I still see tons of self-centered asshats texting and talking on the phone every day on my commute. People seem to consider it nothing more than a suggestion down here...

Anyway, here's hoping for better results for y'all.

Hope that works better for you than it did down here in California. It's been a year since the law went into effect, and I barely notice a difference. I still see tons of self-centered asshats texting and talking on the phone every day on my commute. People seem to consider it nothing more than a suggestion down here...
I think one almost needs to get that first ticket and then they will say... durn, that hurts, I'll change my behavior.

MONEY changes behavior... nothing else really does.

Gunny.

The public-safety community really stepped up and convinced the legislators that were on the fence,
Unfortunately, I think these are the same people that won't allow lane sharing, target motorcycle riders in traffic enforcement, and generally are not very supportive of the motorcycle community in general. It also won't be a very big step to prevent people including us from using GPS or hand-free cell in the future.

I prefer it remained a secondary offense. Folks that weave, squatting in the left lane, or committing other infractions would get pulled over for that and popped anyway.

Texting....yeah I gotta agree with that part. ;)
GUNNY - nail the drivers that demonstrate they cannot control their car.

I think one almost needs to get that first ticket and then they will say... durn, that hurts, I'll change my behavior.

MONEY changes behavior... nothing else really does.

Then they might consider upping the fine(s) and penalties for it:

The fine for a first offense, including penalty assessments, is $76. A second offense is $190. However, although a violation of the handheld cell phone ban is a reportable offense and will appear on your driving record, it will not count as a point.

And pulling over a driver for talking on the cell phone is probably fairly low on the list for law enforcement.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]I wouldn't be surprixed of NHTSA will come up with grant $$ for emphasis enforcement. This is what they did when the seatbelt laws went from a secondary to a primary offense. A ton of $$ spent on OT for cops to write these tickets and the compliance numbers will improve. [/SIZE]

Nest you'll want drivers to stop eating while trying to merge onto the highway.

Or...actually use their turn signals because they thought ahead and planned to change lanes.

Or...use their mirrors and be aware of traffic situations around them.

Or.....

Fuggedaboudit! Like what has happened in California since the law passed.....nothing!

The only thing that "might" be useful is that, since there is a law about talking on one's cell phone while driving, they could be ticketed for an accident and then things would be sorted out by the insurance companies and the court system.

We've had the law here in Albuquerque for a few years now. Doesn't work. I see just as many people using their phones as before. I haven't even heard of anyone getting a ticket using their cellphone. :angry2:

Thank God, the Government has swung into action. Everything will be fine now, boy. My dying ass, you'd never know it was illegal to phone and/or text while driving here in Cali. Maybe Washingtonians pay closer attention to what the legislature decrees for them. Last week heading down to Death Valley on I-5 (that's "the five" for you Angelinos), I saw something I've often heard of but never witnessed before. She had a freakin' NOVEL balanced on the steering wheel! Nice.

The cell phone ban is enforced in this area and will get you cited if a LEO sees you talking or texting. Its kind of like the speed limit. Its a limit but nobody obeys it and its okay as long as you don't get caught. :good:

Same thing in NJ... All it is, is a convenient excuse to generate revenue on demand.

Hmmm... seems the common perception here is the laws don't have any affect on driver behavior. Wonder if any research has been done to see what the outcome of cell phone bans.

Nice Report

Here's a taste:

DISCUSSION

The current study is a continuation of research assessing how bans on driver hand-held

cellphone use affect such use. As of September 2009, seven US states and DC ban talking on hand-held

cellphones while driving. Rates of driver hand-held phone use were tracked in New York, Connecticut,

and DC. For all three jurisdictions, there were substantial declines in driver hand-held phone use

immediately after the ban. When observed several years after the ban, phone use still was lower than

would have been expected without the ban, but the size of the reduction varied.

Determining the effects of a ban was most straightforward in DC, where one pre-law observation

survey and three post-law surveys were conducted in DC and in nearby areas of Virginia and Maryland,

states without bans. Relative to trends in driver cellphone use in Maryland and Virginia, the ban

produced an estimated 41% reduction in phone use immediately after the law and an estimated 43%

reduction nearly 5 years later. Long-term reductions were observed among drivers in DC no matter in

which jurisdiction the vehicles were registered.

It would seem that these bans do work.

So we motocyclistas need to support these bans... and make sure we're not counter productive in the revolution to rid this earth of the cell phone scourge!! :2handed_rune: