hard time using the center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might try the search function at the top of the page with "centerstand+lift".

It will bring up several pages, and near the bottom of the first page is a couple of threads on lifting technique.

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad or like a 90# weakling. I read all the tips on search and still can't use the centerstand!

To use the center stand it is really easy. Most people do not know the technique.

What you do guaranteed to work. After you dismount the bike stand the bike straight up. next depress the center stand so both sides of the stand touch the ground, now with your hand in the slot by the rear of the seat ont the left side, Take your foot and stand on the stand while lifting and pulling back at the same time the bike will stand up on the center stand with out much efort.. this is the proper technique and the easiest to do.

Now you have noproblems.

The key to get it on the center stand is to make sure that both feet of the center stand are touching the pavementand the front forks is in line with the rear or perfectly straight.

:) :) :)

To use the center stand it is really easy. Most people do not know the technique.

What you do guaranteed to work. After you dismount the bike stand the bike straight up. next depress the center stand so both sides of the stand touch the ground, now with your hand in the slot by the rear of the seat ont the left side, Take your foot and stand on the stand while lifting and pulling back at the same time the bike will stand up on the center stand with out much efort.. this is the proper technique and the easiest to do.

Now you have noproblems.

The key to get it on the center stand is to make sure that both feet of the center stand are touching the pavementand the front forks is in line with the rear or perfectly straight.

:) :) :)

I would add in this important step: Before dismounting, place the bike in neutral as this prevents additional forces resisting the slight backward motion the bike must move through while the lift is happening. I'd also emphasize that the downward force with your right foot on the center stand foot pad does more of the lifting than does your right hand pulling up on the bike. The motion is as much a rocking back onto the stand as it is lifting.

Also, make sure both sides of the center stand are on hard, level concrete as dirt and blacktop are often not level nor hard enough for a reliable stand once it's up.

27Man :rolleyes:

The center stand is designed to work with balance and weight. First straighten the front end to align the wheels. Now with your left hand steading the bike place your right footing the center stand pad push the stand down till the feet touch the ground. Now take your right hand and grab the lifting point on the left side of the bike and transfer all your weight to your right foot like your stepping on a beer can to flatten it At the same time lift up with your right hand only. Your left arm is only to steady the bike and to make sure the front end doesn't turn. Keep your shoulders parallel with the bike and lean slightly over the bike when you do the lifting part. With practice this is one smooth action and the bike will leap up on the stand like magic. We taught this method in the motorcycle classes and I have seen 100 lb women put Honda gold wings up with ease. Good Luck with this new skill. Wink Winckler Racer157

27man has a great summary:

• Before dismounting, place the bike in neutral
  • put the side stand down and dismount
  • make sure both sides of the center stand are on hard, level [surface]
  • push down on the center stand lever and make sure both legs are touching the ground before starting
  • downward force with your right foot on the center stand foot pad does more of the lifting than does your right hand pulling up on the bike.
  • The motion is as much a rocking back onto the stand as it is lifting.
Once you learn how to do it, your right hand will do almost no work at all, it will just guide and stabilize the process. I could do it with no hand at all except it helps my balance. More of the force should be backwards instead of up.

This is a little embarrassing but I'm finding it difficult to put the FJR up on the center stand. Any helpful tips?
If after reading, absorbing and practicing (plus working out three times weekly) you still can't quite master the technique, try this.

Place a 2" x 6" board, beveled about 45 degrees on one end, behind the rear wheel. Back the rear tire on to the board. Now, once again go through the the methods described earlier and see what happens.

Capt. Bob

I asked my dealer for help and they had no clue. The service manager came out and tried to rock it up using just the handlebars. Almost gave himself whiplash trying to jerk the bike up. I lost a little confidence that day.

My problem was that I wasn't holding the bike up straignt enough. I had to get someone to stand on the other side of the bike while I got the feel of what it's like to hold the bike straight up and down on both center stand feet. At first it felt like the bike was going to tip beyond the point of no return. Also known as the point of 'Oh shit, my bike!' Once I got that feeling down, no problems.

I'm not a big fan of having my bike in neutral, especially with all the talk of side stand failure, so I use the clutch.

I also mount and start the bike before I bring it down onto the rubber. That way, if the bike starts to tip one way or the other (it has and the sliders paid for themselves that day) I can 'ride it out'.

27man has a great summary:
  • [sNIP]
  • The motion is as much a rocking back onto the stand as it is lifting.
Once you learn how to do it, your right hand will do almost no work at all, it will just guide and stabilize the process. I could do it with no hand at all except it helps my balance. More of the force should be backwards instead of up.
This was my biggest stumbling block, when I first bought the bike I was afraid of the weight and was timid with the foot part. As I got more confident, I started using the centerstand more, but was pushing straight down on the foot while trying to lift the bike with my right arm. Damn near gave myself a hernia. Someone showed me to push the pedal away, toward the rear wheel, the first time I tried it I didn't wanna look like a weenie, and stomped the shit out of the pedal. The bike flew up onto the stand and slid a foot backward! It's all about technique. Practice with a friend/someone you trust on the other side to help balance should it get away form you.

Not to be a smart ass, but if the service manager at my dealer doesn't know how to put the bike on the centerstand.I would have lost all faith in them as a dealer. IMHO

i got mine up on the centerstand using the tips mentioned. but what's best way to get it down? i just pushed it forward from left (kickstand) side but didn't like that mehtod since brakes on the right side handlebar. Would want better control... tips?

i got mine up on the centerstand using the tips mentioned. but what's best way to get it down? i just pushed it forward from left (kickstand) side but didn't like that mehtod since brakes on the right side handlebar. Would want better control... tips?
I just hold both handlebars, and push on those, covering the brake lever. I put the front brake on immediately I feel the rear wheel hit the ground (taking care to keep the handlebars straight).

I also like to have my side-stand down, that way I can lean the bike towards me BUT ONLY AFTER IT'S STOPPED :huh: . I've heard some say the side-stand may tip the bike over if it hits the ground, but mine has never hit the ground).

It needs a bit of care if my tank bag is on as I have to bend my right arm round it, but having done it a few times it is no problem.

Thanks to everyone, I'm away from home but as soon as I get back, I'm going to practice what seems to be quite simple a way to get this beauty on the center stand!

Personally, I never take the bike off the center stand unless I am sitting on the bike. The two times I've dropped a bike in a lot have been when taking the bike off the center stand while dismounted.

I just hold both handlebars, and push on those, covering the brake lever. I put the front brake on immediately I feel the rear wheel hit the ground (taking care to keep the handlebars straight).

I also like to have my side-stand down, that way I can lean the bike towards me BUT ONLY AFTER IT'S STOPPED :huh: . I've heard some say the side-stand may tip the bike over if it hits the ground, but mine has never hit the ground).

It needs a bit of care if my tank bag is on as I have to bend my right arm round it, but having done it a few times it is no problem.
This is an OK way, but after almost dumping it to the right side doing this, I now always sit on it like I am riding it, and rock it forward off the CS. That way I have a leg on each side to steady it no matter which way it goes, plus each hand on a strong side grip on the bars.

...This is an OK way, but after almost dumping it to the right side doing this, I now always sit on it like I am riding it, and rock it forward off the CS. That way I have a leg on each side to steady it no matter which way it goes, plus each hand on a strong side grip on the bars.
Yeah, but I'm a short-@rs= and can't push forward with my feet while sitting on it when it's on its center-stand :( .

I too only rock my bike off the centerstand while sitting on it. But I can see where if you had a shorter inseam that that could be a problem. When my dealer delivered my bike to my office it was on the c/s and as I was walking out of the office he was taking it off the c/s, he was on the left side of the bike. He wound up with the bike laying on him, only the saddlebag got damaged and they replaced it at first service. But I had to pick the bike up off him and back it off the trailer, I hit the starter button coasting back off the trailer got to the end of the ramp and lit off down the street. He remarked to my wife, I take it he's ridin before. I kinda got a kick out off it. :D