Hardwiring a GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalecom

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was discussed many times here before but I just cannot find the thread. Can someone show me the link or suggestion on how to hardwire the power to a Garmin Zumo GPS or the likes besides directly connecting to the battery. Thanks.

Well, for starters, do you want it on all the time, on/off with the ignition key

or on only after the engine starts?

Your answer will determine where to tap into power.

I power my Zumo 665 from the power out from my Digital Starcom1. The reason for this is to minimize the chance of ground loops that could add noise to the audio.

My Zumo is wired to the heated grip power wires, which is switched power. I had it unswitched for a long time, but decided to try it this way. I like it, but it depends on your needs and preferences.

If you wire it to this power source, you'll have to remove the left fairing to find the plug-in and splice it there. The GPS will only come on when the start button is pushed, not just when the key is turned. However, you can leave it powered by just using the kil switch.

Lots of different ways...

I want it switched for sure. I see an open connector when I loosened the top left panel where the heated grip adjuster is, just underneath it. Wonder if this is an auxiliary power connector, but I'm not sure. I may have to take pics of that connector when I get home.

The FJR doesn't have any Auxiliary Power connectors, all connectors have a purpose. I assume that your heated grips are working? I would guess that either your glove box isn't working or more likely, your 4 way flashers aren't working. Off to check the schematic and see what else is in that area that may be unplugged and not working...

My Zumo is connected directly to the batery for 5 years now and when riding I leave it on all day even at lunch, never had any problem, of course I don’t leave it on the motorcycle overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR doesn't have any Auxiliary Power connectors, all connectors have a purpose. I assume that your heated grips are working? I would guess that either your glove box isn't working or more likely, your 4 way flashers aren't working. Off to check the schematic and see what else is in that area that may be unplugged and not working...
It does look suspicious, everything works from the list you mentioned. I will take pics later when I get home.

I have my GPS wired so that it can be turned on independent of the key being on, but it is not hardwired to the battery. I have an unswitched power strip installed that goes to the battery through a fuse. I sometimes do some extensive searching or navigation when the engine is off because I don't want to have the key on the whole time so the unswitched power works for me.

A couple of times I have come into the garage the following after noon and found my GPS still on :whistle: While this has pissed off my battery, my bike still started ok. Disclaimer: My GPS is a down grade Streetpilot 2730.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Zumo is connected directly to the batery for 5 years now and when riding I leave it on all day even at lunch, never had any problem, of course I don’t leave it on the motorcycle overnight.
This looks like the easiest way. I may forget to turn it off and I'm afraid I would drain the battery. Just to be safe...

[quote name='HotRodZilla' timestamp='1326233237' post='927130'

Lots of different ways...

I'm considering all options:)

I sometimes do some extensive searching or navigation when the engine is off because I don't want to have the key on the whole time so the unswitched power works for me.
This. You'll find yourself out in the boonies wanting to use the GPS, and there's no reason to have the bike on, or even on and running, if you're gonna be a few minutes there. Wire it to unswitched power and turn the dang thing off when you're done with it. :)

I sometimes do some extensive searching or navigation when the engine is off because I don't want to have the key on the whole time so the unswitched power works for me.
This. You'll find yourself out in the boonies wanting to use the GPS, and there's no reason to have the bike on, or even on and running, if you're gonna be a few minutes there. Wire it to unswitched power and turn the dang thing off when you're done with it. :)
Your GPS doesn't have a battery?? Weird. Mine will run for about 4hrs without external power.

Jalecom, I'm on the forum from my phone, so I don't know what year bike you have. I think 2010 was the first year all FJRs came with heated grips. The other GenIIs are wired for them, but no grips installed. That's the power source I used.

mine is wired for both unswitched or switched with a lil mini digikey water resistant toggle

basically I installed a fuzeblock and use the hot side of the auto shield retraction for switched power - i.e relay activation of power from the battery

it wires direct to the battery for unswitched power

each of the 8 circuits can be switched or unswitched by the position of the respective fuse

I took two of the 8 circuits, set one for switched and one for unswitched, and put a toggle switch between them

so mostly, I leave my accessories unswitched, but can hit the toggle (mostly in the garage) to play with the GPS, look at sitting voltage on the datel,

talk on the CB, or work on the radar detector

I also find myself going switched shutting down the lighted stuff at night as not to draw attention to the bike sitting in a restaurant parking lot, for example

I like it wired that way very much

pic: the front powerlet powers the farkles from the fuzeblock through the lil toggle on the outside / far right

the rear powerlet is unswitched and used to plug in the tender when sitting in the garage

the inside toggle is a spare and not wired

3308359922_f3b6c3abd7.jpg

Your GPS doesn't have a battery?? Weird. Mine will run for about 4hrs without external power.

Jalecom, I'm on the forum from my phone, so I don't know what year bike you have. I think 2010 was the first year all FJRs came with heated grips. The other GenIIs are wired for them, but no grips installed. That's the power source I used.
I have an 09 AE so its got factory grip warmers.

Here's that suspicious looking connector. It's 4 connector but only 2 wires.

544795bf.png

e53592cb.png

930342ec.png

I have an 09 AE so its got factory grip warmers.

Here's that suspicious looking connector. It's 4 connector but only 2 wires...
I would not pick up the power in this location. I am not positive but I believe the input at the controller is only live once the bike has reached a certain speed. There is a relay before the controller that receives it's signal to energize from the ECU and speed is a parameter for the heated grips to function. If you are not using the outlet in the accessory box I would use that to power the Zumo since the 1 amp fuse is acceptable for powering the GPS.