Harley Davucati??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both companies have a lot in common, even though most of their product offerings pursue different market segments.
Umm... lemme see here....

1. Both have V-Twin engines

2. Both compete against Japanese bikes

3. Both carry an 'image'

4. Both are over priced

5. ....... :dntknw:

Yup, lots in common....

Click

Click

Click

What the heck is wrong with this thing? :glare:

Oh, the safety.

Be with you in a minute......

It's been a couple of years since I looked at Duc North America's corporate balance sheet, but I could see why they'd want a buyer. They had debt up to their eyeballs. Harley's management would never buy that.

I've never understood Harley Davidson or the mystique or the price.

I have a bike that I love, an 07 FJR AE. It is comfortable, smooth as glass, nimble and light and beautiful and comes stock with 145hp as if I need more and linked ABS breaks and beautifully lined bags on the rear. I can't understand why they don't fly off the shelves. I paid 16800 driveout and that included 600 bucks for an extended warranty. How could a better deal exist?

(please don't answer that if you got the same thing for less, it will just depress me)

I know a woman that just bought a Harley Softail Screaming eagle Springer ( I think). She drove it out for 31,000 dollars. Yep, that's right. 31k. At hearing that I just stood there unable to respond. She bragged about how fast it was and threw me the keys so I could see for myself. When I came back I jokingly said, I'll race ya to the second traffic light and let you start up at the first. Gotta a frown for that.

"but yours isn't a Harley."......she said.

I considered Harley to be the last dot com bubble that hasn't (completely) burst. I been waiting foir ten years, yet peeople are still trampling each other for the opportunity to buy one. I've heard thir stock is continuously falling. They already have what i consider the overpriced and underperforming Buell and now there going to merge with an over priced and underperfroming Italian bike (IMO) that apparently is on its back.

In all sincerity, can someone explain to me in real world and econmic terms what reasonably explains all of this?

Ps Gun...I'm still here. I'm gonna want that beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling MNFJR05, come in John, come in. Davucati-sounds like a cheese.... :p

pint.gif
:drinks:
pint.gif

I'm good for it. You signed up for WFO, right?

pint.gif
:drinks:
pint.gif

I'm good for it. You signed up for WFO, right?

I don't know if I can get away for that or not. Got a lot of work to do. I'll try. I am planning to come to La about the second week in September. Gonna rent an ST1300 at Eaglerider's near LAX and cruise about for four days, probably visit a relative in Santa Monica for a dinner or two....ride up to Ojai and so forth. Maybe I can find you then.

Regards

Martin aka Jamma

ps I'll get our second beers.

I've never understood Harley Davidson or the mystique or the price.

In all sincerity, can someone explain to me in real world and econmic terms what reasonably explains all of this?

Simple... Status, image, and peer pressure. Yes, apparently we're still in high school.

My friend bought a "duce" at the tune of $27,000. And, of course, he had to add stuff cause he wants it to be as shiny as my bike. We went for a ride one day and switched bikes. He took off on my bike and I followed on his. After awhile I got his attention to pull over. I walked over, gave him the keys and told him I wanted my bike back. The duce is a little more sporty looking than the usual but I still wasn't impressed. He went back to the dealer a year later and bought another one....I'm not sure what it is..they all look alike to me. My husband and I tease him...tell him he likes to go to the H-D dealer to be verbally abused and charged for it! I love the story they give him every time he buys one....."it retains it value...you won't loose any money, they actually increase in value over time" and yet when he bought the last one, he wanted to use the Duce as a trade in and they said NO!

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you about Harley. I currently own two and have owned eleven. Is my FJR faster and smoother and a lot of other things? Yep. I also have a Gold Wing, and a Triumph and..... They're all motorcycles and have their own personalities. Yes, Harleys can be overpriced. The Screaming Eagle versions with 110 cu. in. pushrod engines ( and mucho chrome) sell in the upper-twenty thou range. Not for me, but some folks like them. Ah, but you can get a nice Road King Classic with cruise and bags, etc for about 18,000. Well, $18,142 is what I paid for mine.

Do Harleys hold good resale value? Yes, but you pay more for them in the beginning, so maybe that's a wash. I'm not an expert on these things - I just buy them because it's what I want.

It's interesting to note that Harley is still using that old pushrod engine design.... but Yamaha is also doing the same thing in the Roadstar line, as is Kawasaki in a couple of their bikes. Belt drive was something that Harley went with many years ago, and now Victory uses the belt drive, and Yamaha cruisers....

I grew up around Harleys. The engine, primary chaincase, and the transmissions are separate. Pushrod engines are easy to work on. Maybe it's in my "comfort factor". I have a stack of parts catalogs here and would you believe that I can get Harley parts way back to something like 1936?

Here are a few of mine.

https://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgal...pe=&ppuser=

'Simple... Status, image, and peer pressure. Yes, apparently we're still in high school.'

hope you're not implying that everyone who rides a hog does so for these reasons. kind of like accusing all sportbike riders of being squids imo..

'I'm not sure what it is..they all look alike to me.'

they do to a lot of people until they start to look at em. kind how all sportbikes look the same to harley riders ;)

no need to bash hd just cause the bike doesn't spin your wheels. different strokes..

I saw 4 HD's take off on a group ride from a neighbor's house. I'm at home working...jealous. I'd rather be on a HD than sitting at this computer.

They already have what i consider the overpriced and underperforming Buell and now there going to merge with an over priced and underperfroming Italian bike (IMO) that apparently is on its back.

I love this forum........... Wanna tell us AGAIN about my UNDERPERFORMING - OVERPRICED Italian bike (I got a 1098) - I'll take a chance and race ur silkysmooth 145hp FJR with my under performing overpriced Italian bike -- for pinks maybe? (Wait, I wouldn't do such a thing - that would be childish) Afterwards, we'll sit down, I will look over my new FJR, and buy you a brew, and explain it all!

My friend bought a "duce" at the tune of $27,000. And, of course, he had to add stuff cause he wants it to be as shiny as my bike. We went for a ride one day and switched bikes. He took off on my bike and I followed on his. After awhile I got his attention to pull over. I walked over, gave him the keys and told him I wanted my bike back. The duce is a little more sporty looking than the usual but I still wasn't impressed. He went back to the dealer a year later and bought another one....I'm not sure what it is..they all look alike to me. My husband and I tease him...tell him he likes to go to the H-D dealer to be verbally abused and charged for it! I love the story they give him every time he buys one....."it retains it value...you won't loose any money, they actually increase in value over time" and yet when he bought the last one, he wanted to use the Duce as a trade in and they said NO!
By the way, not to offend - but it's DEUCE

hope you're not implying that everyone who rides a hog does so for these reasons. kind of like accusing all sportbike riders of being squids imo..
Right on bro..... See I'm dying on two counts here, I've got a DEUCE - couldn't deal with the peer pressure, it was just too great, and I got a Ducati 1098 - one of those under performing (9.85 @ 145 in the 1/4 -and handles pretty well too from what I can gather) over priced ($15,000 - overpriced?) Italian bikes. Oh well - lifes a bitch.

Let the Games Begin -

They already have what i consider the overpriced and underperforming Buell and now there going to merge with an over priced and underperfroming Italian bike (IMO) that apparently is on its back.

I love this forum........... Wanna tell us AGAIN about my UNDERPERFORMING - OVERPRICED Italian bike (I got a 1098) - I'll take a chance and race ur silkysmooth 145hp FJR with my under performing overpriced Italian bike -- for pinks maybe? (Wait, I wouldn't do such a thing - that would be childish) Afterwards, we'll sit down, I will look over my new FJR, and buy you a brew, and explain it all!

By the way, not to offend - but it's DEUCE

Right on bro..... See I'm dying to two counts here I've got a DEUCE - couldn't refuse the peer pressure was just oo great and I got a Ducati 1098 - one of those under performing (9.85 @ 145 in the 1/4 -and handles pretty well too) over priced Italian bikes. Oh well - lifes a bitch.

Let the Games Begin -

yea what he said!!

no need to bash hd just cause the bike doesn't spin your wheels. different strokes..
I see you're kind of new around here, stick around Harley bashing is THE acceptable form of recreation around here ---

What ya gonna do, afterall it IS an FJR forum ---- 'they all (bikes that is) got something to offer'