Harley Ride Planner - Anyone use it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find! I just bought Rand McNally's Motorcycle Map book which highlights the better riding routes . . . it's not perfect but it keeps you off the slab's

Pretty interesting,

I honestly thought this was going to be a joke. You know, like it only routes

you within a 25mile radius of home, and keeps you near bars and Harley shops....

Thanks.

A guy at work told me about. Just planned my trip to Oshkosh next month. Also did a test route for the Total Control class tomorrow and uploaded to my 2720. Was in the house, so it wasn't locked up to the satellites, but it looks like it only has the starting and ending waypoints and a straight, as the crow flies, line between the two.

It is incredibly easy to plan the route (a la google maps) and upload to the gps. But you may have to put some interim waypoints for the Garmin to get the route you want between the endpoints.

A guy at work told me about. Just planned my trip to Oshkosh next month. Also did a test route for the Total Control class tomorrow and uploaded to my 2720. Was in the house, so it wasn't locked up to the satellites, but it looks like it only has the starting and ending waypoints and a straight, as the crow flies, line between the two.
It is incredibly easy to plan the route (a la google maps) and upload to the gps. But you may have to put some interim waypoints for the Garmin to get the route you want between the endpoints.

i really like the madmaps

www.madmaps.com

regional maps with looks ploted out for motorcyclists... it made my trip to deals gap

much more enjoyable... the also have maps for the garmins...

Thanks! Didn't know there was such a thing. Looks like it could be a useful tool.

Surprised you don't need to enter a Hardley serial# to use it :lol:

Of all places to find a decent route planner. Stumbled onto it a couple of years ago. I believe its Microsoft powered. A group of us riders toss routes around to each other and when its ready, I export the GPX file from HD to the Garmin. Works out great.

I just tried it. Told it to route me from Portland OR to Boise, ID, and to avoid highways. I thought that meant "avoid freeways", but apparently not, as it routed me totally on I84 all the way. It's crap.

Pretty interesting,

I honestly thought this was going to be a joke. You know, like it only routes

you within a 25mile radius of home, and keeps you near bars and Harley shops....

Thanks.

I honestly thought this was going to be a joke. You know, like it only routesyou within a 25mile radius of home, and keeps you near bars and Harley shops....
:lol:
Pretty Cool stuff!!

But I too expected the Joke so I must add :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used it to plan my last trip back east and thought it was the best. Only disappointment was that it doesn't work on the IPod Touch. That would have been nice while on the road.

Yep, had the route with just start and stop endpoints and I dragged the route to where I wanted it. Downloaded it to my 2720. Pulled up the route, to find it had the two end points, with a straight line drawn between the two, not even on roads. The green box said to drive north to the endpoint - no turns or anything.

So it looks like you have to add waypoints, like MapSource. So it looks like less of an advantage than orginally thought.