Header installation help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonian

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my stock exhaust with the Muzzy full system. While I am in a holding pattern waiting for my exhaust gaskets to arrive I decided to "test fit" the header. What followed next was about an hour of sheer frustration. For the life of me I couldn't get the Muzzy header to line up correctly. It was fairly easy to get the outside two started, but the inside two were kicking my ass. I tried inserting all four at once very slowly but when that failed I tried aligning starting from left to right and when that got old, from right to left. I could get the outboard one on and a nuts started but progress would rapidly come to a halt on the 2nd. I am gonna call it a night but was hoping someone could chime in as to whether this sounds normal and if there is some installation technique to ease this process. Maybe all I need is a 2nd set of hands? Thanks.

Just thinking out loud, but if a second set of hands is not readily available, why not take some measurements b/w the hole positions of the OEM header and the Muzzy or put them together and facing each other to see if or more likely where the Muzzy is out of spec. Once you have identified this, use something like tiedown to adjust the particular header pipe and secure with a few zip-ties, mount it up then snip the zip-ties off.

Or simply adjust (bend) the offending header pipe as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I do remember that being a bit of a challenge. Especially since I didn't fully remove the radiator to do it, but chose just to swing it forward after disconnecting the hoses. As I recall, getting them all started (just a little bit) simultaneously was the trick. Once you push one of the outside pipes all the way into the head the other side will be cocked too far to line up. I also remember having to give them a thump to get them to go into place

Comparing to the stock header probably won't help much since they are two separate headers.

Also, no need to wait on the new gaskets. Those copper exhaust gaskets can be reused dozens of times. Goober the gaskets and the ports in the head with the stickiest grease you have a round to hold the gaskets up in the head and help you get those pipes to slide in. The grease will burn off the first time you start it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I do remember that being a bit of a challenge. Especially since I didn't fully remove the radiator to do it, but chose just to swing it forward after disconnecting the hoses. As I recall, getting them all started (just a little bit) simultaneously was the trick. Once you push one of the outside pipes all the way into the head the other side will be cocked too far to line up. I also remember having to give them a thump to get them to go into place
Comparing to the stock header probably won't help much since they are two separate headers.

Also, no need to wait on the new gaskets. Those copper exhaust gaskets can be reused dozens of times. Goober the gaskets and the ports in the head with the stickiest grease you have a round to hold the gaskets up in the head and help you get those pipes to slide in. The grease will burn off the first time you start it.
Great tips, thank you. Glad to know it's not just me.

I reused the original gaskets when I installed my Muzzy with no issues. It has been a few years since I did it, but I don't remember having a lot of trouble lining up the Muzzy to the head. I also just swung the radiator out a little bit. I don't remember disconnecting any hoses. I placed a piece of cardboard on the back of the radiator to protect it while I worked. Of course I have a Gen 1 with the flat radiator.

Well, got the system on tonight. Trick to the header was a guy on each side and a slight prying of the center pipes (to spread them apart) to get it to slip in. No way I could have done it without an assist. Got the map loaded and am quite happy with the look and sound. Not nearly as obnoxious as my Duc but still plenty loud. I will have to see how me and the wife like it on the road. Oh, and got impatient waiting on the new gasket so reused the old and all was good. Another tip is Parker super oring lubricant is awesome for holding the gaskets in place. Super sticky stuff!