Headlight Adjustment Cable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
Just curious as to why the owners manual tells you in big bold letters to not remove the headlight adjustment cable when you remove the panels (forgot the panel letters and I am too lazy to go to the garage right now). I have seen several posting where people have taken them off and all seems fine, just wondering what the deal is. Is there a trick to getting them back on or something?

I will be following this one, because I just had my panels off and the cables disconnected. Not having a service manual yet, I didn't know any better. :dntknw: They seemed to go back together easily enough though ! :D

I've had the panels off enough times to do it in my sleep -

1. I've never removed the little adjustment knobs. Not necessary.

2. Never had a problem reassembling.

3. Always adjust lights after all back together.

I don't know, but then the manual says not to adjust the handlebars yourself but to have a your Yamaha Service Technian do it.

Likely then a liability issue , as headlights , taillights, brakes and controlls are all "road safety" items....(but then what ain't on a motorcycle?)

As for the headlight adjusters, I'm thinking of putting motors on them to make them "dance" durring the day...

KM

I've had the panels off enough times to do it in my sleep -
1. I've never removed the little adjustment knobs. Not necessary.

2. Never had a problem reassembling.

3. Always adjust lights after all back together.
Good advice.

The screws that hold those little suckers on have Loctite on them and are very easy to strip.

I've had those panels off lots of times. I don't see how you'd get the two panels, on which the adjusters are mounted, off without removing the knobs and nuts.

The knobs have to be removed in order to remove the front black panels indeed, but it's absolutely no big deal to remove the knobs (just one little set screw on each). The 'problem' is to reinstall the cable once you remove the large nut visible when you remove the knobs. By the way, the knobs and nuts are part of the assembly process. And I'm glad I removed them when swapping panels since tech broke one of the plastic parts with the threads, and wouldn't have noticed without removal (everybody should check them).

Anyway, yes, it's a little tricky to reinstall the cables due to their resistance to bend, especially the right one, but nothing you can't do with a bit of patience. Take care.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
The knobs have to be removed in order to remove the front black panels indeed, but it's absolutely no big deal to remove the knobs (just one little set screw on each). The 'problem' is to reinstall the cable once you remove the large nut visible when you remove the knobs. By the way, the knobs and nuts are part of the assembly process. And I'm glad I removed them when swapping panels since tech broke one of the plastic parts with the threads, and wouldn't have noticed without removal (everybody should check them).
Anyway, yes, it's a little tricky to reinstall the cables due to their resistance to bend, especially the right one, but nothing you can't do with a bit of patience. Take care.
Actually, it isn't necessary to remove the knobs and nuts at all, and while it's one way to do it, it's the hard way. Rather, from the back of the panel, you unscrew the knurled collar holding the cable to the back of the shaft, just like we used to disconnect Dad's speedometer cable so the miles driven wouldn't show. Whoops...did I say that out loud?

--

JohnM

Actually, it isn't necessary to remove the knobs and nuts at all, and while it's one way to do it, it's the hard way. Rather, from the back of the panel, you unscrew the knurled collar holding the cable to the back of the shaft, just like we used to disconnect Dad's speedometer cable so the miles driven wouldn't show. Whoops...did I say that out loud? --

JohnM

In my case, it was my mom's 63 Rambler American. And Yes, you did say that out loud.....

Actually, it isn't necessary to remove the knobs and nuts at all, and while it's one way to do it, it's the hard way. Rather, from the back of the panel, you unscrew the knurled collar holding the cable to the back of the shaft, just like we used to disconnect Dad's speedometer cable so the miles driven wouldn't show. Whoops...did I say that out loud? --

JohnM
That's the same method I use. Works great!

But I never did that on Dad's car. I always listened to my parents and never lied to them or disobeyed them. :evilsmiley03: BTW, I have a bridge for sale....

JohnM
That's the same method I use. Works great!

But I never did that on Dad's car. I always listened to my parents and never lied to them or disobeyed them. :evilsmiley03: BTW, I have a bridge for sale....

Same method for me as well, removing the panels that is.

As far as taking my dad's bike out (68' Yamaha 125 Enduro) I would ride it exactly 10 or 20 miles and methodically return it to the exact place in the garage and my dad would assume he recalled the mileage wrong. Did it all the time.

About 5 years ago I told him all about it, he said "ya I know all about it" :blink:

My method for removing those panels was to strip one of the screws, cuss, get the channel lock, and crush the knob like a walnut so I'd have access to the screw. I haven't ordered the replacement yet so I don't know what that lesson is going to cost me. :dntknw: