Headlight bulb replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
What is the leading brand amongst the knowledgeable for a replacement.Nothing exotic, just another H4, but good quality. Bosch seems to be gone?

The OEM bulb is Philips - I agree with not looking to the 'blue tint' and 'we make more light with the same watts' bulbs like PIAA .

if one went out, the other usually isn't far behind, so change them both.

What is the leading brand amongst the knowledgeable for a replacement.Nothing exotic, just another H4, but good quality. Bosch seems to be gone?
Philips and Osram/Sylvania are the biggies. If you want to stay with a standard wattage and color temp. bulb, you might want to consider a long service (heavy duty) one (as well as MC specific ones). They seem to be made more vibration resistant to last longer Although the mfg's. avg. life hours listing are no guarantee they'll last that long, it's a reference point anyhow. Search Ebay and Amazon for the best prices.

Agree with bramfrank. Usually the other bulb is not far behind failing too, so buy 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powerbulbs usually has some sort of sale on Phillips bulbs. Think they're in the UK, but they usually have free shipping to the US. They email out a sale notice every now and then.

When my headlight bulbs go, I am replacing with the same as OEM. My '07 has over 70,000 miles with the original bulbs and I doubt I'll do better with anything else. Now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure I will be jinxed with a double failure in the immediate future.

Ross

Yes, replace both.

I put HID low beam only in mine when I first had it. I didn't like them because they used too much power, not instant on (like when switching from hi beam to low), and even with multiple adjustments, I couldn't seem to get them to where oncoming traffic wouldn't flash me and sometimes leave their hi beams on blinding me. Others here have used HIDs and like them, but I don't.

So, I did put the PIAA's in that I bought off ebay for reduced cost. I don't think they were worth it either but I carry the OEM ones as spares and will go back to a good durable pair when one of the PIAAs go out.

One of them is easy to get out, but the other is a be-otch. IIRC the right one is easy...

Yes, replace both.

I put HID low beam only in mine when I first had it. I didn't like them because they used too much power
You got this reversed around, the stock halogen require more wattage draw than HID's. 50/55w for stock halogen vs. 35w +/- 1w depending on ballast. The only time HID's draw more is during "lamp-up" which is just a quick surge.

Real HID's are the absolute best solution for your visibility and they will draw ~30-40% less wattage than the crappy stock halogens.

Got some H4s at the Honda shop, made in Hungary. Always respected big reds quality and these are original equip. goodies for wings. $19 out the door for the pair. Now as to the chore-what a b., lots more difficulty with the right side, took 3times the effort as the left. Not a roadside task.

Why are we not allowed to start a thread about cupping tires, or Amsoil vs. Rotax vs. Yamalube??

Just sayin..

Got some H4s at the Honda shop, made in Hungary. Always respected big reds quality and these are original equip. goodies for wings. $19 out the door for the pair. Now as to the chore-what a b., lots more difficulty with the right side, took 3times the effort as the left. Not a roadside task.
Hungary huh. Sounds like Narva which is also a quality bulb. $19 OTD sounds good too.

Sylvania Silver Star Ultras, 55W just like the stockers but alot brighter white light, B) about $40 each. The best "standard" buld out there. ;)

I'm telling ya, Premium HID's (Philips/Osram) and forget about it.

Silver Stars are a band aid to the situation and for that much cashola? a total waste of your money. The filament is still the same as a standard halogen but the glass is tinted blue which filters some of yellowish out (BS solution to get a whiter light). Why? in doing so you take away that yellowish light that creates some of the lumen's (brightness)so they only appear brighter because they fool the eye with a higher degree "kelvin scale" color.

I got HID's in all my vehicles, some stock like my Caddy CTS, others like my FJR with hi-end kits installed. Secret is to make sure you have covered/reflector capsule or projector housings (no open filament bulb housing). This way you do not blind oncoming peeps with the reflector in full torch mode. With the FJR and a servo powered hi/lo you will get the capsule shield built into the bulb.

Stick with the Phillips/Osram bulb. I've used Silverstars in my my car with good life but prefer the stock Phillips bulb pattern and light color.

Wow, And I thought I could see better and farther with them. :dribble: Thanks for straightening me out on that. What a mistake, I feel like such a dumb ass now. :p

I've been running Osram Silver Star 9003XV 3,200K bulbs for about a year and will continue to do so until I'm gifted with HIDs that work well with the stock reflector buckets for both high beams and low beams. The bulbs are expensive and like all higher output bulbs will have a shorter life. I like the beam pattern and brightness. I also like the color of the lights, not yellow and not blue. My bike can usually be picked out in a group of bikes by my headlights. I am into my third riding year with the bulbs so the shorter life is acceptable. After saying that I suppose I ought to go buy a replacement set since I probably cursed myself.

I too would recommend HIDs even though I do not have them in my bike (I have them in my truck). Make sure you go with a brand someone else here has used and can vouch for. The ones on my truck are 55 watt ballasts I used on the high beams only. They are spectacularly bright and excellent for spotting the forest rats BUT they take a good 10 seconds to warm up from cold. Fortuantaly, my low beams remain on when I flick on my high beams so I am never in darkness, but this wouldn't apply to most vehicles. The HIDs for the FJRs replace dual filaments so this isn't an issue anyway i suppose.

If I had the time or inclination I would install HIDs but for now I use these. They are the brightest conventional halogens you can get but at a cost of about 20% less life (compared to the Sivanias or Nighthawks which have 10% less life but are not as bright) than OEM. The difference IS noticeable but no where near as much as HIDs. I highly recommend them but make sure you wear gloves when installing as they are not very tolerant to oils.

The UK is the only place where I know them to be available from and I have ordered three times from the above link and received super fast service.

When my headlight bulbs go, I am replacing with the same as OEM. My '07 has over 70,000 miles with the original bulbs and I doubt I'll do better with anything else. Now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure I will be jinxed with a double failure in the immediate future.

Ross
Now that didn't take long! Pulled up behing a van and was admiring the FJR's reflection in the bumper and WTF. Left headlight gone. Couldn't get OEM bulbs so put in a cheap set for now with the expectation that they won't last forever. Hopefully the skin heals on the back of my hand before I have to go back in there to replace them again.

Ross