Headlight bulb replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't bother with HID headlight field conversions - most are crap, many can't be properly adjusted because the reflector isn't designed fot the size of the plasma ball that HIDs produce, but more important they simply aren't road legal. Neither are higher wattage bulbs and such.

I personally use HID driving lights (technically legal) and I have stock bulbs in the reflectors with a headlight modulator for daytime conspicuity, the best of both worlds.

Do not buy high wattage halogen bulbs - they stress the anemic headlight wiring and throw off enough heat that they can melt things. Do not buy 'blue' bulbs - they are just regular yellow-ish halogens dyed blue, so they actually throw less light than conventional ones (though because they are blue, they 'seem' brighter. Do not bother paying big bucks for name bulbs claiming to break the laws of physics - the 'white' silverstars and such get 'better' light by running more compact filament placement and at filament temperatures and they don't last as long as 'normal' bulbs for all the extra money they cost.

If there was a technology I'd install in the standard reflector, it iwould be HIR - but alas they don't make them in an H4 configuration.

Don't bother with HID headlight field conversions - most are crap, many can't be properly adjusted because the reflector isn't designed fot the size of the plasma ball that HIDs produce, but more important they simply aren't road legal. Neither are higher wattage bulbs and such.

I personally use HID driving lights (technically legal) and I have stock bulbs in the reflectors with a headlight modulator for daytime conspicuity, the best of both worlds.

Do not buy high wattage halogen bulbs - they stress the anemic headlight wiring and throw off enough heat that they can melt things. Do not buy 'blue' bulbs - they are just regular yellow-ish halogens dyed blue, so they actually throw less light than conventional ones (though because they are blue, they 'seem' brighter. Do not bother paying big bucks for name bulbs claiming to break the laws of physics - the 'white' silverstars and such get 'better' light by running more compact filament placement and at filament temperatures and they don't last as long as 'normal' bulbs for all the extra money they cost.

If there was a technology I'd install in the standard reflector, it iwould be HIR - but alas they don't make them in an H4 configuration.
Love the part "but more important they are illegal" LMAO!! :lol:

...and posted to a site where we all follow the legal posted speed limits and never pass on double solids, probably jaywalk just about every time we cross the street to get to our parked bikes... oh yeah, we are strictly a legal bunch here!

Osram/Philips HID's and you have the best. Don't have them aimed above oncoming driver sightlines and you will not get flashed. Cops? Yeah right, been driving HID for 10 years, never even a mention. The rice burners out in CA with high wattage HID's may get a bit of riff but mainly b/c of their color temps or the open filament reflectors which are obnoxious to any oncoming vehicles.