headlight bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Getting ready to install Headlight modulator. While I'm at it, are there any replacement bulbs that throw more light that anyone is happy with? Didn't see this topic in my search this am (but that was before the second cup of joe).

Dutch 1201

Order Silver Stars or other "euro" halogen bulbs from Powerbulbs.com in the UK. They ship them anywhere in the world cheaper than you can get them in the US. They have lots of choices.

Watch out for the "super bright" models. They tend to burn out faster than the standard models. Seems like almost ALL H4s you can buy "OTC" are better than the ones Yamaha puts in as new.

Getting ready to install Headlight modulator. While I'm at it, are there any replacement bulbs that throw more light that anyone is happy with? Didn't see this topic in my search this am (but that was before the second cup of joe).
Dutch 1201

Just installed a modulator a few days ago and did not have to remove the bulbs. I thought about replacing the bulbs also, but held off to really think about it. The reasoning is the factory bulbs have a slight yellow ting to them and are easy to see in daylight, which is were I do 90% of my driving and the reason for the headlight modulator. Well while driving around town I noticed some bikes which had whiter lights and at certain distances appeared to be the sun just reflecting off of chrome (possibly from a car). Now this was only my observation, but I think I like the yellower bulb modulated. It really stands out and I know annoys some drivers (so I know it's obvious!)

Phillips Vision Plus bulbs rock! Argued back and forth but found better reviews about the V+ bulbs and subjective reviews commenting on better light output. Bought them from Murphs Kits, a vendor with great prices and great products and I'm more than happy with these bulbs.

Phillips Vision Plus bulbs rock! Argued back and forth but found better reviews about the V+ bulbs and subjective reviews commenting on better light output. Bought them from Murphs Kits, a vendor with great prices and great products and I'm more than happy with these bulbs.
That's a pretty good deal at Murphs! $34 a pair shipped. Powerbulbs is about $31 shipped from the UK. Takes a while to get them here, too.

NAPA has some "BriteLites" or some such thing, that claim to be whiter and brighter than OEM-equivalent, and run about $10 each. Anybody tried them yet?

NAPA has some "BriteLites" or some such thing, that claim to be whiter and brighter than OEM-equivalent, and run about $10 each. Anybody tried them yet?
I got a pair of "Super White" bulbs at AutoZone. They were certainly bright.... for about 3 months. :angry2:

I have a set of PIAA lights. They are 110 watt, but only draw the power of 55w bulbs. I have yet to ride at night, or low light situation, so I'm reserving judgement. I had PIAA's on my old Ninja, and they worked quite good.

Philips are just now marketing a new headlight bulb in Europe under the brand "MotoVision".

It's a brighter bulb with a distinctive orange halo and the slogan goes
logo_be_seen.jpg

s_motovision_usp.jpg

Not all too expensive either, a pair will cost some EUR 26,00 plus shipping.

Stef

I got a pair of "Super White" bulbs at AutoZone. They were certainly bright.... for about 3 months. :angry2:
I do remember the NAPA bulbs having a relatively low life expectancy rating, so I figured I'd just stick with the high beam bulbs in my Land Cruiser that are still working after 14 years!