Headset/Intercom TOTAL NEUB........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog9

Reaction score
OK, bear with me here, I am pretty good with electronics, and doing electrical work, and do all my own stuff, but have never dealt with motorcycle intercoms, etc. Here is what I want to do, and am asking if this is a workable plan, and for advice from you experienced folks.

I want to hard wire both of my full face helmets with an intercom system (speakers & mic), and have a plug/Jack in teh helmet and bike. I dont know if this is clear, but basically I want to wire the headset into the helmet and leave it so there is a jack, and not a chord hanging out. Likewise on the bike, so there would be a patch chord (like between a guitar and amp) between helmet and FJR.

I dont want bluetooth or wireless in the helmet, want them to be individually plugged in.

I envision the two helmets being hard wired J&M and Chatterbox. Anyone doing this? or something like it? Thanks.

OK, bear with me here, I am pretty good with electronics, and doing electrical work, and do all my own stuff, but have never dealt with motorcycle intercoms, etc. Here is what I want to do, and am asking if this is a workable plan, and for advice from you experienced folks.
I want to hard wire both of my full face helmets with an intercom system (speakers & mic), and have a plug/Jack in teh helmet and bike. I dont know if this is clear, but basically I want to wire the headset into the helmet and leave it so there is a jack, and not a chord hanging out. Likewise on the bike, so there would be a patch chord (like between a guitar and amp) between helmet and FJR.

I dont want bluetooth or wireless in the helmet, want them to be individually plugged in.

I envision the two helmets being hard wired J&M and Chatterbox. Anyone doing this? or something like it? Thanks.

How about the starcom1 digital with the PROFIT kit. This kit basically does away with all the exposed wires and leaves two waterproof connection points (one for the rider and the other for the passenger ANYWHERE you choose on the bike). If you are serious about your kit and don't mind spending some $$$, speak to Mike @ Woody's Importarium in England:

Woody's Importarium Ltd (Sportouring) https://www.sportouring.co.uk

Tel: 01443 742421

Fax: 01443 740202

Mike is great to deal with and helped me wih all my starcom1 intercom kit, bluetooth dongles, headset kits and even free helmet installation on the new Schuberth C3's i purchased from him. Truly a nice fellow.

I don't have any pictures of my install yet as my kit is only arriving next week...

Anyway - good luck with your search

Regards,

E

I installed a Starcom Advanced. It allows the Pillion Papazarri and I to chit chat while riding, we listen to Sirius satellite radio, and I get yelled at by the Zumo's Cyber Sally when I miss a turn.

Our helmets have the speakers and mic's as you descibe. We have coiled cords we use between the helmets and the jacks I mounted on the left side of the bike, just below the seat. When I commute, I usually don't bother with plugging in so I toss the coiled patch cord as you descibed it into the Givi case.

Try calling Jeff at BikeEffects.

Using a Starcom1 system, you can get all your inputs down to one cable leading to each helmet. The Starcom helmet headset has a female 6-pin mini-DIN connector that can easily be secured to the side of each helmet. You then have a coiled extension cable that bridges the gap between the Starcom1 unit and the helmet.

To avoid constant plugging/unplugging, I normally hang my helmet(s) on the mirror(s), without bothering to disconnect at all. But if you need to lock the helmet(s) away, simply unplug the extension cable from the helmet and drape it around the bars or over the seats, depending on where you place the unit.

The #1 problem I have with Starcom1 systems is that all the cables are expensive and long. If you are handy with electronic work/cables, you can cut and shorten the cables to a better length. They use real wire, not the braided stuff, so soldering is straightforward.

Here are two threads I posted months ago, dealing with my Starcom1 installation. Perhaps they will give you some ideas.

Mounting the Starcom1 up front in special box

Making a custom Starcom1 PTT

*** NOTE - I'm certain the resistor values I noted in the PTT thread are incorrect. They were correct at the time, but since then it has been determined that Starcom made a mistake in their own PTT switch. I believe the correct value has been determined to be 1k ohm.

HA

*** EDIT - Just searched for you and verified that YES, 1k ohm was FredW's final solution. See here for details: FredW fixes Starcom1 Advance PTT w/VOX disable issue

Last edited by a moderator:
...but basically I want to wire the headset into the helmet and leave it so there is a jack, and not a chord hanging out. Likewise on the bike, so there would be a patch chord (like between a guitar and amp) between helmet and FJR...
If I understand your question correctly, you want to put a jack plug into the helmet; you specifically want to avoid a short pigtail hanging down from the helmet? This would require some major surgury (ie cutting the shell and foam) to the helmet to install the jack, if I am understanding your question. I haven't seen or heard of this being done, nor would I recommend cutting the shell in any way. You might be able to come up with an inventive way to bond a jack to the outside of the helmet shell. But in the end, you would have something just as ugly as the pigtail hanging down, IMHO. FYI, you can install the headsets so that there is only about 1" of the plug visible. Good Luck.

Bulldog,

When you mount up the Starcom1 (or just about any other brand) headset in your helmet, you usually are left with a short (6-10") pigtail with a DIN connector on the end. When I am not using the intercom (which means I am probably riding something other than the FJR) I simply wrap the end of the cord back behind my neck and it tucks in between the padding and wind blocker flap on the other side of my head.

Having a pigtail is important so that you can see the cable jack and plug when you are connecting up with the helmet on.

Well, here's a couple thousand words:

2690105690098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

2059017530098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

Some helmets, unlike my HJC AC-12 above, have a wind flap that goes all the way around the rear circumference of the helmet that the cable can be tucked into. But even as this one is, I have never had it come out from under the flap when riding along. However, if one was truly anal retentive about it, they could attach a piece of velcro "hooks" to the cable near the end so it would stay put.

go to radio shack and get two male and two female 1/8 stereo phone jacks. if you wire your mic to one female jack and your ears to the other female jack. epoxy the female jacks between the liner and shell with the hole pointing down and just visible at the bottom edge of your helmet. i like it just behind the left ear. now put the male plugs on the lead coming from your comm unit. mark them somehow so that you don't plug them in backward or use two different sizes of jacks. this allows you to just listen to a radio or hook up any thing you want by just making an adapter cable and you will be hard pressed to notice it is installed.

If I am following you correctly, you want as discrete a connection as possible at all ends. The stealthiest headsets I have seen are the J&M (Seen Here) which use a plastic clamp on the shell of the helmet to hold the connector in place. Then the cord that plugs into that clamp will disconnect directly at the helmet and only the black plastic piece will remain. On the bike side it will depend on what intercom system you are using. I just bought a Starcom1 Advance kit (Seen Here) , and have not gotten it completely installed yet, but I have been considering some of the sleeker install options. As someone else has mentioned there is a ProKit (Seen Here) which creates a common mounting point with 2 jacks or you can buy extension cables (Seen Here) to mount through plastic panels giving a fairly flush and subtle connection. I plan to use the Starcom1 daily for hearing MP3s over the Zumo as well as some directions and phone calls so mine will be plugged in the majority of my time on the bike. For this reason I am considering a bulkhead cable for the rider connection and simply keeping the pigtail for the passenger tucked under the seat considering how infrequently it will be used along with its ease of access. Although the J&M mounts up a little more nicely on the helmet side, I think you get a lot more functionality and bang for your buck out of a system like the Starcom1. The unit, headsets, and cables were all significantly less expensive, and, so far as I can tell, are of similar quality. YMMV. I dealt with Jeff at Bikeeffects.com in getting my system sorted out and can't recommend him highly enough. He spent quite a bit of time helping me to understand how to accomplish what I wanted to do and offered excellent service the whole way. Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Hey guys, thanks much, will keep you posted on what I do. We've got Scorpion EXO 700's. Actually jus bought her a new silver/black to match mine, the red burst I bought her last year (she only test fit it in the store) is now "out of fashion" with the Galaxy blue FJR, so it is on craiglsist if anyone is intersted.

Really like the Scorpions, seem to be a lot of helmet for the money. Thanks again!

I have been selling and using the Starcom system for a few years now. Give me a call at 707-224-9262 if I can help you in any way.

Starcom at Bike Effects

See link below for discount information.