Heat shield for 05 is working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The material is not very thick, maybe .040" or so. I thought about double-layering it as you have suggested. I believe the biggest impact would be in trying to conform it to shape. Laminated adhesive layers would substantially stiffen the product and make it very difficult to shape.

I bought the stuff from Summit Racing. They were awesome to deal with! Fantastic service and much cheaper than JC Whitney for the same stuff.

Heat Shield Material Link

The '06 heat shield is $60. Now I'm not sure it would fit as the '06 doesn't appear to have that thermostat (?) above and to the left of the T-bar implying that stuff have changed in there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running with a 3/8" thick foil-backed insulating blanket under the tank of my 05 for many months now; originally tried & suggested by FJRocket, as I recall; he was building his own airplane and obtained it from a plane-building supply company. It is not secured other than being 'sandwiched' by the tank itself, thus it is easily removed when the tank is raised. Checking on it periodically has revealed no problems, and it has reduced the tank heat significantly (which was an issue for me being shorter & having to hug the tank) I cut it to the proper shape, then cut tight fitting slots to let the necessary hoses/lines through; no issues.

the insulator

Last edited by a moderator:
The '06 heat shield is $60. Now I'm not sure it would fit as the '06 doesn't appear to have that thermostat (?) above and to the left of the T-bar implying that stuff have changed in there...
Thats the air injection system control valve just beside the t-bar. It does seem to be missing on the 06 pictures.

I've been running with a 3/8" thick foil-backed insulating blanket under the tank of my 05 for many months now; originally tried & suggested by FJRocket, as I recall; he was building his own airplane and obtained it from a plane-building supply company.
The Insulator material sounds promising. I have a couple questions you could answer.

1. 4x6 what? Inches, feet???

2. 1-ply, 2-ply etc., what are the thicknesses of each?

I really don't mind ripping out my shield and making another with a different material. I'm sold on how well this mod works. And I think you have to be about my height, 5'10", or shorter and live in a warm climate to truly appreciate the heat problem.

I also agree that the CO setting is a big factor. I'm not ready to go that far just yet because I don't have access to an EGA. So that would be an expensive purchase for me. EGA tests are not required in most NC counties, and never on motorcycles in this state. Maybe I should ride to CA to get it tested!

:D

@Jeff

I'll check the package from my left over piece for you when I get home from work tomorrow. I do not recall if the material is 1 or 2 ply, but did measure the thickness @ 3/8" which appeared to be about the max. you can comfortably get under the tank. The '4 x 6' I'm sure referred to 'feet'; as it arrives in a large roll. I'll post the further findings tomorrow.

Brad

You can only squeeze so much under the tank. Thought I saw something about removing the black rubber insert pieces on the side of the tank. Does it do anything or will it just let more heat come at you from that opening?

You can only squeeze so much under the tank. Thought I saw something about removing the black rubber insert pieces on the side of the tank. Does it do anything or will it just let more heat come at you from that opening?
...it works for some, not for others. In my opinion, it depends on your height & the type of windshield. Easy enough to try though; the black rubber pieces are a cinch to remove & put back if you don't like the results. In my case, being 5'9" with a stock windshield, when I removed the pieces and put the windshield in the highest position, it created some vacuum @ speed that pulled heat out of those areas making it even hotter for me. Another member that runs with a CeeBailey windshield w/flip reported no such problem and reported it reduces the heat for him.

So I guess there isn't a yes or no. So I guess I'll just have to try it both ways. I don't really notice heat anyway but just thought for the summer it might be worth doing.

Okay Jeff, here you go:The package says 'Insulator, One Ply 4' x 6' sheet'

P/N 09-27400.

Regards

Brad
Thanks Man!

I'll order it tonight and take more pics when I replace the existing shield material. I'm very convinced that this is the way to go. The shield is working flawlessly.

FJRMGM said earlier in this thread that...

"till you take out the two rubber thingies on each side of the tank that hold the heat under the tank you are just keeping the heat trapped and it can't escape.

Four of us were on a ride this weekend in 90 degree weather. We stopped to get gas at 135 miles into the ride and so we had less than half a tank of gas each.

I have removed the rubber thingies on my bike - so, I had them feel how hot (not warm) their tanks were, then feel my tank, which was just warm. A very noticeable difference.

They were convinced because they were all complaining about how much heat was coming off the tank."

I was one of the four on the ride with Mike at the time and there was a major difference in temperatures.

Our tanks were hot, Mike's was warm and not even close to being hot.

Jeff,

You first posted in April. Now it's late June in NC, so I assume it's "warmer". How is it working? Have you modified it since the original install? Any info is much appreciated.

I used the 3/8" insulation from the aircraft supplier & cut it to fit under the tank & extended it out to include the "rubber thingies".

I had burned my legs from the heat last summer. The frame got too hot & the plastic got hot, too.

I now find the tank doesn't get hot at all & I can't feel the heat through the black plastic parts anymore. Granted, I haven't run into the worst heat while on a trip yet. However, I'm happy with the results. :D

dobias :glare:

Glad this post came back up. I wanted to thank Jeff for his idea, it works really well. The heat has moved from the seat area to my lower legs. Much more comfortable after several hours in the saddle. I used this material insteadSummit Racing

Jayke

I put the rubber thingies back on after one long ride in the heat. It pushed the hot air on the left side out on my leg above the knee. Very annoying and hot.

Glad this post came back up. I wanted to thank Jeff for his idea, it works really well. The heat has moved from the seat area to my lower legs. Much more comfortable after several hours in the saddle. I used this material insteadSummit Racing
Jayke
Your very welcome! This forum has helped me very much and it's great to know that I can return some of that.

BTW - I recently did throttle body sync and plug change on my 05. The adhesive backing on the heat shield material was super easy to peel off. The shield was easy to put back in place and works great, even in our 95+ F and 100% humidity.

Has anyone tried wrapping the headers with ceramic tape?

We recently did this on a race bike after having a problem with the header pipe coming too close to the race fairings. Without tape, we burned a whole through the fairing. With tape, fairing doesn't even get hot.

But, the tape was very expensive. And as such, I don't want to go waste the money if it isn't going to help. And I also wonder how that tape would last over thousands of miles.

Anyone with more experience with header tape?