Heat shield for 05 is working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried wrapping the headers with ceramic tape?Anyone with more experience with header tape?

There was talk on the old forum about this from a few in the UK who tried it. They claimed it didn't do what was expected, AND started to corrode the pipes.

If I had the cash, I'd get the header Jet Hot coated.

Personally, I'm amazed that Jeff had such success with the Thermo-Tec heat shield being used upside down.

The foil side should ALWAYS face the heat source.....this case being the motor. One would think it's basically useless flipped over, considering the heat isn't coming from the tank.

Interesting.

I used 2 layers of Thermo-Tec on the underside of my tank three years ago, and the tank heat is non existent now. But I peeled and stuck the stuff to the underside of the tank with the foil side facing the motor, I didn't just lay it over the motor. I also lined that black plastic piece on the side of the tank with it. I never tried to remove the rubber piece though, that's also interesting to try.

BTW penguin.....you should stick this stuff to the inside of your fairing near the headers. You wouldn't have had to waste time wrapping them with the ceramic tape.

I also remember reading on one of the forums about that thermal "bubble wrap" stuff. The person said it started to melt after numerous trips in hot weather traffic. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't say either way. I DO know this Thermo-Tec stuff looks just like the day I put it on.

I installed the ThermoTec this weekend. I replaced the plastic over the adhesive with reinforced foil from duct wrap. I took it out for an hour with the fuel level starting at 3 bars, but the temperature was only about 80, so not much of a test. Hot legs, lukewarm tank. Still, a 25% full lukewarm tank after an hour is promising, so I think it will help. I need a hot day and several hours to know for sure. Any heat barrier, whether reflective, insulating, or both will only slow the heat flow. Diverting the heat (Jestal wings?) before it gets under the tank and/or venting out the heat up top seems to be needed. Not much room to work up top though.

I did debate a lot about whether or not to try the Thermotec stuff with the foil side up or down. I agree that the best method would probably be foil down, but it has worked fine the other way for me.

My mod does nothing about the hot air coming from the frame. That's another issue that requires some aerodynamic changes to the fairing etc. I have seen some posts on that mod, but have not tackled it yet.

I can definitively say that keeping that hot air from escaping anywhere above the frame makes a HUGE difference in rider comfort and tank heat. So I am opposed to removing any rubber thingies because it has the opposite effect.

It's been 95+ around here with high humidity. I can ride comfortably in jeans as long as I remember to keep my left leg an inch or so off the side. Not because of tank heat but because of frame heat.

The only 100% cure I see will require some specially made ducts to induce cool air flow above the engine, or buy an 06.

Jeff