Heated Gear and Passenger Heat Troller

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcobb

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK, ...I'm acquiring all the farkles and knowledge to get the steed set up the way we want.

For those of you who have Heated Gear for your pillion, what type of heat troller do you use, portable or mounted?

If mounted, where did you put it?

Obviously, I don't want the control of her heated jacket up front, which would require her to be telling me all the time to turn it up, now turn it down, etc. etc. etc. you get the picture :blink:

I've looked at the side panel, but would rather not have to either:

a) splice in a connector to disconnect it every time I take the side panel off

or

B) remove the heat troller every time I take the side panel off

This doesn't leave much choice other than to go with the portable heat troller, which we've pretty much decided on, but wanted to see what the forum collective had to offer.

Thanks

Randy

Get a portable one. That way if you ever get a 2nd bike you can still use it. Also, you only need them in the cold months so no point in drilling holes for something you are not going to use year round. If it ever breaks, you can send it for fixing a lot easier.

I use warmandsafe and am extremely happy. Very durable.

OK, ...I'm acquiring all the farkles and knowledge to get the steed set up the way we want.
For those of you who have Heated Gear for your pillion, what type of heat troller do you use, portable or mounted?

If mounted, where did you put it?

Obviously, I don't want the control of her heated jacket up front, which would require her to be telling me all the time to turn it up, now turn it down, etc. etc. etc. you get the picture :blink:

I've looked at the side panel, but would rather not have to either:

a) splice in a connector to disconnect it every time I take the side panel off

or

B) remove the heat troller every time I take the side panel off

This doesn't leave much choice other than to go with the portable heat troller, which we've pretty much decided on, but wanted to see what the forum collective had to offer.

Thanks

Randy

Randy

If you look at the body work just to the rear of the back seat, under the grab rail you will see a triangle shaped section. That may be a great spot for the mounted HeatTroller knob and bulkhead fitting. Out of the way but easy to get to by the passenger. It's also a good spot for a helmet speaker plug in. Something to think about.

Brodie

Randy:

I recommend the portable/clip to your belt type of controller for both of you. Have permanently mounted receptacles on the bike so that you can each plug in and control your own temperature. You can easily move bike to bike with this set up too. All four of our bikes have a front mounted connector while two of them also have rear connectors for when we ride two up. Powerlet can hook you right up with all of the hardware you will need.

Dave

Buy Synergy heated liners. They come with a nice electronic controller. As mentioned above, put two Powerlet outlets on the bike itself, one up front for you, one near the rear grab bar or down low near the Hard/Soft lever for the passenger.

In my experience it's much better to keep your rider and passenger connections separated than in the same spot. But what do I know, I've only logged about 50,000 two-up miles recently.

:)

Portable, but I hate the clips and put velcro on it. The velcro can stick to the wind flap or pocket velcro that is on most jackets.

Thanks Folks, all good suggesstions to be sure.

We'll check out the panel underneath the grab handle. That didn't look all that accessible and convenient when we were checking out possible placements with the wife sitting on the bike.....but we'll look again.

We already have Warm-n-Safe gear and the ease of their coax connector doesn't lend me to go the powerlet route....good stuff and all, but I like to keep it simple. Why put a powerlet connector in when the little connector sticking out between the seat is easy, convenient, and can be stowed away if not being used.....thats my thought anyway. We have our other bikes all set up this way and its great, especially when moving around alot during those spirited canyon rides :p

We use the Warm and safe gear also. I have a dual rear powerlet socket installed and run two wires from the powerlet up under the seat. One comes out between the two piece seat and the other up in front of the seat and tank. The wires have coax connectors that we plug the two portable heat trollers into. The wires stay connected with the bike and everything else goes with us when we get off the bike.

Works easily for us.

The powerlet socket makes a nice place to plug in a battery tender too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out PREMIER CYCLES the have a great sale on and all the hook ups you need for what you want to do for seperate controls.

I just purchased a set from them about five minutes ago at a great price. Thet are a good company I have purchased from them before and never a problem, they work with their customers..