Heated Gear - Made the leap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright you watery tarts ... but a hard mount point might be nice, especially if the pillion needs to wear my or their own electric gear.
I would hate to have a hard mount.The reason is that I inevitably forget to unplug when I get off (me being a watery tart). With a flying lead, the plug and socket straighten out and disconnect with minimum strain on anything.
Good point and I have done this more than I care to admit. However what sort of saves it here is that in order to connect to the Powerlet hard mounts you'll most likely need one of their short adapters, in my case a Powerlet to SAE. Should you put any pull on the wire I find it usually comes apart at the SAE end. I'd imagine a coax connection should pull apart even easier there.

One other thing I've found at this same connection point (SAE) is that for whatever reason I'll occasionally find it has come apart, usually soon after getting on the bike. Five or ten minutes of me wondering if I'm feeling heat and fiddling with the controller when I'll look down and see the connection separated. First time I saw the pigtail flopping around by the wheel was the last. My solution was to take a simple twist-tie attached by one turn onto the wire on both sides of the connection. Not only will it help hold the ends together should the connection come apart but by using only one turn it also won't prevent it from breaking apart at that point should you dismount and forget you're connected. Sorta like a fusible link if you will.
I don't have an adapter. I only run a heated vest, which came with a coax plug, I sourced a mating coax socket to use on my supply lead.
I've never had it separate while riding (but I have forgotten to connect it before setting off :( ). I can only connect it when sat on the bike, I've deliberately kept the lead length relatively short, this reduces any flapping that might induce disconnection.

Combination of heated vest and grips keeps me reasonably comfortable to a few degrees below freezing. I've never been out in really cold weather. Where I am, there will always be ice on the road in very cold weather, I don't "do" ice.

Saturday I rode over Snoqualmie Pass and Chinook pass in Washington. (Snow along the road in Chinook Pass) Borrowed a Hotwire Jacket and I now know what I want for Christmas. That gear worked way better than I expected.

Logic takes a hit when stopped for a short fuel/bio break and you look forward to getting back on the bike to warm up.
rolleyes.gif

Warmnsafe fired my order tied to a rocket. Shipped a couple of hours after you people forced me to place the order. Should arrive today. Bring on the cold. Their website, if you haven't noticed, has a picture of Dee Snider from Twisted Sister on his Yamaha, touring Croatia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warmnsafe fired my order tied to a rocket. Shipped a couple of hours after you people forced me to place the order. Should arrive today. Bring on the cold. Their website, if you haven't noticed, has a picture of Dee Snider from Twisted Sister on his Yamaha, touring Croatia.
Touring on a Yam GTS 1000 no less, that is pretty cool! The bike with the unique front end...

01923010.jpg

Yamaha%20GTS1000%20ABS%20%204.jpg

Touring on a Yam GTS 1000 no less, that is pretty cool! The bike with the unique front end...

01923010.jpg
Full heated ATGATT while riding a rice burner?? There's so many Long Island pirates who'd have to do some soul searching if that pic got out.
tonguesmiley.gif
(He does enjoy a fantastic good-guy reputation around here.)

This is the shit. Amazing, instantaneous heat. Make the cold your bitch. I got the gen 4. Don't know how gen 3 is, but the 4 is supple, all over heat. Like jumping into a warm bath immediately when you turn it on. Called manufacturer with a question. Owner answered immediately and was super nice. Thanks bigjohn and pants for pushing me over the edge. I stood in the garage beside the bike and powered up. The heat was instant. This is iron-man-suit stuff. I've logged thousands of miles in the teens and twenties. This is a game changer. Yep. I know I'm late to the game. I'm happy nonetheless.

You guys! I already own a Tourmaster Synergy 2 Jacket and gloves, but the jacket has failed to supply the power to the gloves after a couple of years. So last night I ordered a Firstgear heated jacket. I understand that it will run off the Tourmaster dual controller that I already have and power the Tourmaster Synergy 2 gloves and if not I have a pair of Firstgear heated glove liners from before to use. You all loured me into spending my money! Seriously it's the best thing since rock and roll. I try to ride for Chicago to San Diego every Christmas. The first few years I didn't know about heated gear and I suffered. One year I left Chicago with a box of fifty of those chemical packs that you shake and they make a little heat. Boy did I suffer! Once I went to the heated gear it was like I became a god over cold. Now how do we make it so there is no more snow or ice on roads?

After reading this thread it might be time to upgrade my heaters. Been happy with my old TM Synergy, but seems the new stuff heats quicker and might just be the ticket to mo'better warmth!

Y'all are nothing but a bunch of enablers...
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I have the TM Synergy 2, it has worked pretty flawlessly. You have to keep the connector clean, i just use a little alcohol on a swab a couple times a year, or it sometimes cuts out. When it does a little twisting gets it back going. Heated gear does open options, like snowboarding on the FJR...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167690-spring-in-wydaho/

SEsbMp.jpg

My system for wiring to the heated gear has worked out pretty well for me. And best of all, it was cheap. Those that have been around for a while may remember my Frugal Yankee PDB (Power Distribution Box) project, about 5 years ago, which is really just a small Radio Shack project box with a Euro style Terminal strip inside. I use it to split the power line coming from a relay switched battery power line to the two pigtail cords that I have hanging out from under the left (exit) side of the seat, one for me, the other for the missus. By connecting to flexible pigtails, any time that I get off the bike and forget to unplug (which is always) the coax connection just disconnects itself with no muss or fuss.

I've been abusing the same two pigtails this way since back when that post was originally made and have never broken any wires (yet, knock on wood)

I forget to unplug too. Never thought about that angle. (No pun intended).
Hey Bill,. You live right up the road from me. If you want to see how my dual powerlet plug is mounted,. You are welcome to come over. Mine is mounted where the key unlocks the seat. It works great. My wife needs heated gloves before it gets even near 50. Nice to keep us both heated when it reLly gets cold too.

I might do it one day. The stock warmnsafe battery lead was fine when I was running just glove liners. I have it running down the right side of the bike, beneath the fairing, and had my glove liner Y splitter routed out the right side of my jackets. The new jacket liner has that lead coming out of the left side. The stock warmnsafe battery lead is perfect for right side use, but not long enough to route across and back to the left side rear of the tank. I'll have to get a longer one, one way or the other.

Timely, been shopping for the last 48 hours - looking for heated gear reviews. I am thinking that I am about the pull the trigger on Tour Master Synergy 2.0 chaps and vest.. and heated grips. gonna check out our friend's inventory now for alternatives.

Greg,

Were you aware that you can get a "trade-up" discount from Warm'nSafe for trading in your old Gen 1 liner (or $70 off for any of their competition for that matter)? That discount is $80 off of their already reasonable prices. Plus their garments all have a lifetime warranty on the electrics. The newer generation liners are a lot nicer than our old ones, and you can even get a waterproof model if you want that.

Anyone around here tried the Aerostich stuff? Thinking of updating my Gen I Warm-N-Safe with a Stich heated jacket. Pricey bastard it is.
https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-kanetsu-airvantage-electric-liner.html
I stopped into Aerostich in Duluth and purchased a Aerostich Kanetsu Windstopper jacket on a cold ride home from CFR last June. It is a very nice jacket and looks good as an outer layer when you remove your riding jacket. Because it looks and serves like an insulated outer jacket, it is slightly bulkier than other electric jackets i have seen. It appears to be very well made and the wiring appears to be very robust and sturdy. At first I thought I would be disappointed since the jacket only comes with a simple lighted on / off switch and not a rheostat. After using it several times I have found that it puts out very gentle heat and so far I have found I am happy with either having it on or off. The Airvantage is supposed to be warmer pressing the heating elements closer to your skin and removing chance of drafts.

Would I buy the Kanetsu again? I think so. Although it is a little bulkier, I anticipate some of the bulkiness to go away as it breaks in and I appreciate how good the jacket looks as an outer garment when I get off the bike. One major draw back is if you aren't wearing the Kanetsu it is going to take a fair amount of room from your luggage.

Aerostitch's take on their switch taken from their web site;

"Simplifying Comfort (...a Better Power-cord)

We have been making this pretty neat coil cord power control for twenty years. I remember designing it to be an illuminated hi-low inline switch of such small dimension that it would not be a 'lump' in the middle of a compact coily power cord. We went round-and-round trying to find a switch which would allow a better functioning and packaging design. Something tactually, visually, and ergonomically lighter and cleaner.

And there still isn't anything as good in terms of simplicity and overall handy-ness. I wanted this cord switch to be so easy to use one could forgo a thermostat. They always seemed useless over-complexity...even the newer nice digital ones everyone uses now (just yesterday all were stupid power-hungry inefficient resistance rheostats). I'd used one several times but wanted something thoughtlessly simple, super-compact and field-reparable if ever needed. (This last consideration turned out irrelevant.)

It's just too easy to be riding along and without looking down move my left hand downward from the grip momentarily to find the cord lying across my left thigh and then by touch alone (finger or thumb) push or release the illuminated in-out button…then move my hand back to the left grip.

It's only one second, done without thinking, and there's no fumbling around. I can feel at a touch if the button is in high or low position to maintain temperature at a nice level all day long, with neither thought or effort. Just click-on and click-off as needed for comfort, and if there's ever question about power status a quick glance down shows the red pilot light glowing on or off through the button's cap. Even in daylight.

So today if I were for some reason forced to use some non-Aerostich electric garment, I'd still want this simple, intuitive and reliable coil cord and switch."

- Mr. Subjective 12-13