heated gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I,m interested in getting heated gloves but don,t want the whole jacket/pants/socks ensemble. Can anyone suggest what I should get just for heated gloves? How would they be powered? battery or whatever/ suggestions please thanks

Noticed that Tourmaster has a new "synergy" series of heated gear out now. The gloves looked well made but probably too early to get any kind of a review.

I,m interested in getting heated gloves but don,t want the whole jacket/pants/socks ensemble. Can anyone suggest what I should get just for heated gloves? How would they be powered? battery or whatever/ suggestions please thanks

You're probably going to get nailed asking this question. There have been several discussions on this topic in the past.

My only suggestion is this. If you are thinking about getting a heated pant liner, you may want to think about getting the Gerbings Union Ridge over pants. I have non-heated over pants and I'm thinking of using them for summer and purchasing a Union Ridge. Unplug them and they will act like my non-heated pants. At $220 dollars they are only $40 more then most heated pants liners.

I have a Tourmaster jacket liner. Yes, there has been issues with controller, but they have been great at supporting their product. They figured out that their controllers needed a different circuit board and have replaced all the old ones for free. I also have had problems with the liner itself, which they replaced. When it works I like it a lot and it overall was a lot cheaper then the other products.

I tried the Tourmaster gloves didn't like them. They made my hands sweat and they were pretty bulky. I decided to go with Gerbings G3 gloves. I really like them.

Dave

Gerbings has always provided excellent customer support. 7 years, thousands and thousands of miles in the cold and wet and no problems. I think you will find that having gloves without a jacket or jacket liner will be cumbersome due to the wires. If it's cold enough that you need heated gloves, it's well worth the $200 to get a jacket liner to keep your body warm and there are wires conveniently located in each sleeve where the gloves plug in.

As far as powering the heated gear, some do a pigtail directly off of the battery or barrier strip that you plug into and some do a Powerlet directly off of the battery or a barrier strip. If you do a Powerlet directly off of the battery, just get the adapter cable to go from your heated gear to plug into the Powerlet. You can use the same Powerlet to plug in a battery tender if you get the adapter cable.

Using the FirstGear heated gloves with a Heat-Troller and a Y-harness you can go gloves only (no jacket liner required).

image_25558_200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the FirstGear heated gloves with a Heat-Troller and a Y-harness you can go gloves only (no jacket liner required).
image_25558_200.jpg
You can do the y-harness with any of them, I was just saying it's a bit combersome running wires through jacket sleeves rather than just using the plugs at the ends of the sleeves of most brands of heated jackets/liners.

image_25558_200.jpg
You can do the y-harness with any of them, I was just saying it's a bit combersome running wires through jacket sleeves rather than just using the plugs at the ends of the sleeves of most brands of heated jackets/liners.

+1 on this. When my heated jacket liner was down, I used the Y-harness and thought it was PITA compared to hooking up gloves from the sleeves.

Dave

Oh it's a PITA for sure, but it'll work for sure. I was just trying to let the OP know that his desire to have gloves w/out a jacket liner is possible, even if cumbersome.

Besides, in my experience the gloves are not nearly as effective unless you keep your core temp up, too. If your body is warm you can expect your hands to be warmer, too. Gloves alone did not impress me last year when I started using heated gear (my liner was back ordered for quite some time and I used the Y harness and gloves only).

Get a liner and gloves. .02

I haven't tried these, but Gerbing makes a battery operated glove that's gotten good reviews in magazines.

Gerbing gloves

I plan on buying a set when they're back in stock for bike and general winter use. I have Raynauds syndrom so my hands get cold really easily and these should be the ticket to comfort.

Oh it's a PITA for sure, but it'll work for sure. I was just trying to let the OP know that his desire to have gloves w/out a jacket liner is possible, even if cumbersome.
Besides, in my experience the gloves are not nearly as effective unless you keep your core temp up, too. If your body is warm you can expect your hands to be warmer, too. Gloves alone did not impress me last year when I started using heated gear (my liner was back ordered for quite some time and I used the Y harness and gloves only).

Get a liner and gloves. .02

I totally agree. Core heat is the key. Without my jacket liner I must have my heated gloves (found this out when liner went bad). Since, I have my liner back, I can ride with my summer gloves in 40+ weather (I also have hand guards).

I think it's worth the extra money for jacket liner for both the core heat and ease of use with gloves.

Dave

Funny, it never even occured to me to run the glove wires up my sleeves. :huh: I have a powerlet outlet in the fairing "A" panel controlled by a heat-troller. During summer, it just sits there. When temps start getting down around the freezing mark, I have a pigtail that plugs into the powerlet outlet and has a coax plug on the other end that gets zip-tied near my throttle housing fairly discreetly. I have a coiled "Y" cord that plugs into the coax plug and goes to both gloves outside the jacket sleeves. The coiled cord is short enough that it doesn't drag on the tank, but stretches long enough that I can still wave at other riders who are also dedicated (crazy?) enough to ride when it's 25*F out. The whole setup looks like this;

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

My hands are the only thing that really gets cold, so the heated gloves have really extended my riding season. My Tourmaster suit and some thick socks seem to be good enough for the rest of me. I had the glove power lead wired directly to the battery on my '04...bad idea. They get too hot without some way to regulate them or at least switch them on and off.

Contact Gerbings,they can fix you right up with any combination you want.

I cant say enough good things about the Gerbings G3 gloves. Even at 10 degrees my hands are toasty although I dont use any kind of controller.

I only use them when it is 35 or lower and they are eprfect. And nimble enough to allow you to even strap your helmet up with them on.

I've never owned heated gear before and decided to go with the easy-to-use Synergy. Have only been riding in 20F weather with them, but they exceeded my expectations. I don't even think about the cold. Good stuff, one pig-tail to the battery, route your lead and you're good to go. (Jacket, pants and gloves)

My $.02.

I am looking to get the heated gear and I'am concerned about the alternator's ability to power all this. Has anyone had any issues? Do you know if there is an aftermarket alternator available for the FJR?

I am looking to get the heated gear and I'am concerned about the alternator's ability to power all this. Has anyone had any issues? Do you know if there is an aftermarket alternator available for the FJR?
I just did a 750 mile trip through Arkansas with heated jacket liner, pant liner, socks, GPS, Radar detector and heated grips in use the entire time. When I got home, I plugged in the battery tender and within 1 hour it showed a green light.

No issues.