heated grip replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazz

Reaction score
Good day has any body replaced there grips on a 2009 fjr. Mine has heated grips and need to know if i can use aftermarket grips or ??

What would be the best way out.

Thanks Barry

Why do yours need replacement? Failure to heat? On my 07 I’ve got a set of Oxford heated grips running off the OEM controller and harness, but I had to convert the wiring from series to parallel.

Good Day

my grips are very warn down and smooth so my gloves slip on them. the heated side works well. Need to change rubber grips only but it looks like a sealed unit.

Thanks Barry

Good Day

my grips are very worn down and smooth so my gloves slip on them. the heated side works well. Need to change rubber grips only but it looks like a sealed unit.

Thanks Barry
Do what I did to improve grip.

Strip of rubber (cut from old inner tube) wound spirally round the grip, anchored at the end with plastic cable ties.

(Click on image for larger view)

Unless you are fussy about appearance, it makes for a very easy and effective (and extremely cheap) work-around.

Served me well for many years, and didn't seem to affect the warmth getting to my hand.

I needed mine, not because the grip was worn, but because my hand was getting weaker with far too many birthdays. No longer required when I got a Gen 3, significantly lighter throttle.

I recently posted about some mild deterioration (and wear) of the rubber on my hand grips.  You might find the discussion useful.  I was considering something like using grip tape for things like golf clubs or tennis rackets.  I wanted to avoid the thick foam Grip Puppies because they would impede heat transfer and soak up water when wet - not to mention that they are thicker than I would like. 

Someone suggested Grip Buddies.  They make a thinner version as well.  Apparently won't soak up water and are Velcroed in place.  https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

I haven't bought any yet because grips are still OK but will probably choose something to cover them this year.

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/177465-handgrip-rubber-degrading/

Do what I did to improve grip.

Strip of rubber (cut from old inner tube) wound spirally round the grip, anchored at the end with plastic cable ties.

Unless you are fussy about appearance, it makes for a very easy and effective (and extremely cheap) work-around.

Served me well for many years, and didn't seem to affect the warmth getting to my hand.

I needed mine, not because the grip was worn, but because my hand was getting weaker with far too many birthdays. No longer required when I got a Get 3, significantly lighter throttle.
Thank you what a great idea going to try it.

Another option in the KISS category, Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies.   I've been using the Grip Buddies for several years and like them.  Some don't like the seam, but you can place it where ever you want and it doesn't shift around.  They have a 'Lite" version now that's thinner as well.

I also ran across this stuff for re-doing garden tools like shovels and rakes that looked interesting.  Haven't tried it or bought any yet.  Re-Grip  You can get it in different sizes and it comes on an oversize plastic tube that is pre-spiral cut.  You just slide it on, then pull one end and remove the plastic, done.

Another option in the KISS category, Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies.   I've been using the Grip Buddies for several years and like them.  Some don't like the seam, but you can place it where ever you want and it doesn't shift around.  They have a 'Lite" version now that's thinner as well.

I also ran across this stuff for re-doing garden tools like shovels and rakes that looked interesting.  Haven't tried it or bought any yet.  Re-Grip  You can get it in different sizes and it comes on an oversize plastic tube that is pre-spiral cut.  You just slide it on, then pull one end and remove the plastic, done.
thank you I like this I will see if I can order to SA as we in lock down.

I replaced the stock grips on my 2007 before I even took my first ride, after buying it new in 2008. As 1911 said above, any heated grips will work, but you'll have to change the wiring from series to parallel.

Yes Oxford grips in parallel what wires go where?
Just to show you the principle of series and parallel:

This doesn't show the actual layout of the wires, e.g. both wires from one grip will come out from one end, but I hope it will show you enough to see where you are going.

Thanks for the reply, I understand the principal of series and parallel but I need to be lead by the hand here to know which wires go to which. The FJR wiring has two connectors coming from the ECU and I have two connectors coming from the Oxfords. I don't know which wires to do what with.

Thanks for the reply, I understand the principal of series and parallel but I need to be lead by the hand here to know which wires go to which. The FJR wiring has two connectors coming from the ECU and I have two connectors coming from the Oxfords. I don't know which wires to do what with.
If you follow the wires coming out of the original grips, they will each end with a two-pin connector. The left one is black, the right connector is grey. Assuming you want to use the FJR's original controller, you need the brown wire going one of those connectors, and the (I think) White/Black going to the other connector, these are the two wires you need to connect to your Oxford grip wires. My one doubt is a difference I can see between the 2006-2007 wiring diagram and the 2008-2012. The earlier one used Red/Black not White/Black, and had the controller feed and ignition feed swapped between left and right grips.

The second wire to each of the grip connectors is Brown/Blue, this is the series connection between the two and can be ignored.

If you are using a separate controller, you can feed it from the Brown wire as your ignition 12 volt source, the ground would preferably be a separate wire fed back from the battery negative terminal.

I’ve got some parts coming for my bike, hopefully this week, that have been on backorder since June 😩. When they do get here I’ll be taking the bike apart and can post up some pics 

If you follow the wires coming out of the original grips, they will each end with a two-pin connector. The left one is black, the right connector is grey. Assuming you want to use the FJR's original controller, you need the brown wire going one of those connectors, and the (I think) White/Black going to the other connector, these are the two wires you need to connect to your Oxford grip wires. My one doubt is a difference I can see between the 2006-2007 wiring diagram and the 2008-2012. The earlier one used Red/Black not White/Black, and had the controller feed and ignition feed swapped between left and right grips.

The second wire to each of the grip connectors is Brown/Blue, this is the series connection between the two and can be ignored.

If you are using a separate controller, you can feed it from the Brown wire as your ignition 12 volt source, the ground would preferably be a separate wire fed back from the battery negative terminal.
Thank you for the reply, assuming your colour reference for the OEM connectors is correct what do I connect from the Oxford grips. One wire from each grip connected together or two wires from one grip?

I'll check out the wire colours to the OEM connector and post up a photo

Here is the photo

The Grey connector has a black wire and a yellow wire

The Black connector has a yellow wire and a Yellow wire with red trace.

This is a 2013 bike by the way.

Latest posts