heated grip replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a day in the garage today and fitted the Oxford grips and buttoned it all up. They warm up quickly and are hotter than the OEMs. As expected the bars absorb some of the heat. I still need to give them a road test.
I never found the OEM grips to be lacking in heat.  I very rarely turn them up all the way and have used them down to freezing temperatures. I really like them when it is cool and wet.  For extended periods at low temps, they keep the palms warm but fingertips and back of hands get cold.  No substitute for electrically heated gloves (and jacket liner) for riding close to freezing for any distance.  

Glad you have them sorted out to your satisfaction.

OK peeps the results are in. I jerry rigged the Oxford heated grips to test the theory.

The rig looks like a bowl of spaghetti but it worked. I have ordered some cable to match the OEM wiring and will create a loom when it arrives to tidy it all up.

The original OEM grip figures

Left Grip 46.1 C 

Right grip 45.5 C

Oxford grips

Left Grip 72.3 C after 10 minutes and still rising

Right grip 62.2 C after 10 minutes and rising

So as you can see the Oxford grips wired in parallel are significantly warmer than the OEMs
Where did you manage to source the connectors to make up your loom?

The OEM connectors are one black and one grey. To buy the connectors in black and grey will cost about 15 quid. If the colour doesn't bother you then the prewired ones are much cheaper. I have a couple of sets that I got from Ebay.

If you put a more accurate location in your profile I may be able to help.

https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/3W-040-FEM-GRY-CON

https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/3W-040-MAL-BLK-CON