Heated Grips Issue plus another question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All

A few years back I installed Dual Star grip heaters under BMW grips on my FJR. They have always worked intermittently, however I notice if it is raingibg, the heat troller locks on to full high. I am guessing something is shorting out in the rain and probably the same issue causing the intermittent working problem in the first place.

Anyone ever experience this problem?

Also, assuming I can get this to work, I want to do the same on my V Strom. Who is the recommended vendor for the grip elements and Heat Troller as Dualstar seems to be gone.

Thanks

For what it's worth, I've had great results with my grips from Show Chrome. Them come with their own controller and four heat settings.

They talked about them on another forum here: CLICKY , my installation was here: CLICKY and they can be seen here: CLICKY

GARY

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Another idea is to get the Galindo Designs Heated Sport Bike Grips. They are built by AME who also makes grips for bicycles. Mine have six(6) settings per grip and can be controlled individually. Simple hook up, excellent customer service and warranty. I searched and got mine through Fay Meyers Motorcycle world, delivered for $100.41.

Be careful with the AME grips. I have a set and I'm not thrilled with them. They are glitchy and the buttons are SMALL. Sometimes one will turn on by itself and the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. It pisses me off when suddenly, in July, my hand starts getting hot and I can't turn off the grip.

The buttons cause issues when wearing bulky gloves. They are hard to press, and to reach the max level, I have to punch the button 6 times. When these take a dump, I'm gonna go with something else. I'm done with AME.

I have to agree with Zilla. I was an early adopter of the AME's and had numerous problems. But I will hand it to them that the customer support was great. Well past the one year warranty they to tried to help. I went through a couple of design updates and program changes but after another season of problems I switch to the latest release from Oxford. I think that we would have eventually worked out the bugs but I decided their use model wasn't for me. They're really not designed to be adjusted on the fly but that's how I use heated grips.

Gary

That is how I discovered there excellent customer service. The left grip shorted while sitting at work and killed the battery. I didn't notice the heat from the grip until part way home. Summer in Arizona. I will be installing the replacement grips in another couple of weeks.

Gary, you mentioned Oxford. Is there a link or can I just search it?

...Gary, you mentioned Oxford. Is there a link or can I just search it?
Twisted Throttle carries the grips as well as Leather Up, a search may show other vendors. $79 is a typical price, you may not do better. I think they are a bargain at this price.

I have had a number of heated grip solutions on my FJR over the years, and price to function of the Oxfords seem to currently be my #1 choice. Like most heated grips, including Yamaha OEM grips, the Oxfords are short and hard. The only nits I would pick is that the LED heat indicators are close to useless in bright daylight and the heat steps on the controller are too far apart. The Oxfords get hotter and get hot faster than any other grip I have tried. On the one hand I like the way the wires are stress relieved leaving the grips, on the other hand it's not real pretty.

Perhaps Show Chrome grips have changed over the years, but the ones I tried a few years ago sucked. The grips were wattage limited by high resistance in the grips and the heat controller was pulsed power and not a real PWM controller. If you live in TX or AZ the grips *might* be ok but the power controller is hard on the electrical system based on the way it delivers power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed these HotGrips and the variable controller and could not be happier with the performance. This last weekend I rode up to the north side of Lake Huron for a color tour and in high 40’s, low 50’s there were times the grips were just about too hot – just what I wanted. The nice feature of the controller is it is solid state (Pulse Width Modulation) with built it circuit breaker protection, two wire hookup. Need a little more/a little less? Perfect.

Made in the USA – come in 5 ¾” length.

139_image.jpg
390_image.jpg

For what it is worth, I just ordered a set of the Oxfords for my V Strom. Once installed, I can decide if I want to replace my current set up on the FJR with them too.

That is how I discovered there excellent customer service. The left grip shorted while sitting at work and killed the battery. I didn't notice the heat from the grip until part way home. Summer in Arizona. I will be installing the replacement grips in another couple of weeks.
Gary, you mentioned Oxford. Is there a link or can I just search it?
I bought Oxford grips for my Suzuki Bandit a couple of years ago from Lockitt. See this: https://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/GPOX695.html

Note the pull-down for selecting the controller. I purchased the "Heat Troller dash mount" when I ordered mine ( extra $35). This is, IMO a superior controller and looks like a factory install, (albeit not FJR factory). The grips/controller work great on my Bandit. As noted in the description: "Length is about 125mm, just shy of 5" ...so they are shorter then the std. FJR grips.

I found Lockitt to be cost competitive and easy to work with. I actually bought the Sport grips for the Bandit, which are pretty hard, but I've read that the standard grips are a little softer.

I recently installed these HotGrips and the variable controller and could not be happier with the performance. This last weekend I rode up to the north side of Lake Huron for a color tour and in high 40’s, low 50’s there were times the grips were just about too hot – just what I wanted. The nice feature of the controller is it is solid state (Pulse Width Modulation) with built it circuit breaker protection, two wire hookup. Need a little more/a little less? Perfect.Made in the USA – come in 5 ¾” length.

139_image.jpg
390_image.jpg
I run these too. Work great, get very warm. Jim Hollander is the owner; good guy, very knowledgeable and provides great customer service.

Things I like less about them:

Rubber compound is a little too hard for my liking and the throttle grip is slippery now from wear.

A plus though is that you can replace just one grip if needed.

Ok I ordered them from HotGrips.com. I'll let you know how they work..
So David, did you get the HotGrips installed? If so, can you post your impression of them and also any installations comments and a picture or two to show the final results, including the controller mount.

I'm considering these as per Dutch they come in 5 3/4 in length. I'm a bit concerned about the hardness, as 900gc pointed out.

Thanks.