Heated Grips Issue plus another question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I ordered them from HotGrips.com. I'll let you know how they work..
So David, did you get the HotGrips installed? If so, can you post your impression of them and also any installations comments and a picture or two to show the final results, including the controller mount.

I'm considering these as per Dutch they come in 5 3/4 in length. I'm a bit concerned about the hardness, as 900gc pointed out.

Thanks.
Hi,

Yes I just got the grips today and of course they were the wrong length!!! @@%@^^%% I need 5 1/4 in length for the FJR, so I sent back for exchange when I get them. I did not order the controller reostat as I don't see where it would be necessary. it shouldn't be too hard to install them, but I will report when i do. It will probably be a couple of weeks.

...I just got the grips today and of course they were the wrong length!!! @@%@^^%% I need 5 1/4 in length for the FJR...I did not order the controller reostat as I don't see where it would be necessary...
Be sure the replacement grips you are getting are the open end type. You may want to reconsider the heat controller. I almost never have run any of my various brands of heated grips 100% power for any length of time because they get too hot. The Oxford grips I have now have been too hot to leave set at 100%; even one morning a few weeks ago when it was 16ºF.

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but have you considered looking for someone to sell you the factory heat-troller and wiring some Symtec heat elements into that? My AE came with the factory heated grips, but I wanted BMW grips so I did the procedure and, after a little trial-and-error, it's working fabulously.

There are lots of how-to's scattered around the forum and elsewhere on the interwebs on this procedure. I can also help through PM if you decide to go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I just got the grips today and of course they were the wrong length!!! @@%@^^%% I need 5 1/4 in length for the FJR...I did not order the controller reostat as I don't see where it would be necessary...
Be sure the replacement grips you are getting are the open end type. You may want to reconsider the heat controller. I almost never have run any of my various brands of heated grips 100% power for any length of time because they get too hot. The Oxford grips I have now have been too hot to leave set at 100%; even one morning a few weeks ago when it was 16ºF.
Second that about the reo. If you don't want to run a reostat, at least wire in a dual pole switch (hi/lo). The only time I run mine on high is in the 30's or lower! Without the reostat, you'll miss out on enjoying the right amount of heat for a wide range of conditions.

Where are you all mounting the Controller Pad for the Oxford Grips?. I just installed the grips today and can't decide where to mount the controller. The location I had in mind is not flat. I thought the mounting bracket was a good idea but my Ram Mount is installed on top of the Clutch Reservoir. I may have to move the Ram Mount I've had the dask panels and other plastics off the bike for a couple of weeks (installed a pair of Hella FF50 Driving Lights) and want to get everything back together. Mild winter conditions so I have missed a couple of riding days.

Where are you all mounting the Controller Pad for the Oxford Grips?. I just installed the grips today and can't decide where to mount the controller. The location I had in mind is not flat. I thought the mounting bracket was a good idea but my Ram Mount is installed on top of the Clutch Reservoir. I may have to move the Ram Mount I've had the dask panels and other plastics off the bike for a couple of weeks (installed a pair of Hella FF50 Driving Lights) and want to get everything back together. Mild winter conditions so I have missed a couple of riding days.
I'm not sure what that controller looks like, but it would probably mount where the factory heated grip controller goes. Below the left grip is the black panel A, which has a removable section to insert the OEM controller. You can unbolt that removable section and install a heat controller there. I have my Honda ST1300 heated grip controller mounted in that spot. Picture here:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14246&st=0&p=173264&&do=findComment&comment=173264

Where are you all mounting the Controller Pad for the Oxford Grips?...
I took the Yamaha Gen I OEM heat controller off the metal mount that came with the kit and put the Oxford heat controller on that. But -- it turned out to be a bad idea. The Oxford controller has tiny LEDs, to see them illuminated during the day you have to look directly at them. I would recommend that you mount the controller completely vertical or completely horizontal so that you look straight down at the LEDs. With my Oxford controller mounted at 45º it is nearly impossible to see the LEDs. It matters to me because the power settings have too much space between them making the grips too hot or too cold so I'm usually fiddling with the setting. Even on the mornings where it was ~16º F on my way to work the High setting got too hot after a while, but the next cooler setting would eventually let the grips get too cool. Seeing the LEDs also helps you tell if the Set button did its job (gloved fingers can make it uncertain).

It does seem like the OEM knock-out panel on the left side faring would be a good spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Harald and Ionbeam. I looked at the outer part ofvertical part of the panel to the left of the Tach but thought that might be a bit of a reach when riding and didn't find any other flat places without going outboard onto the glossy surfaces. I have a switch for my Hella FF50 driving lights mounted in the little square panel where the OEM controller goes. I may rethink that installation on order a new part to mount the grip controller in. Just finished mounting the lights and routing all the wiring. Was actually putting all the panels back in place when I realized I would just have to take them all off to install the heated grips. Not much riding this time of year in the PNW but I would like to get everything back tested and back together before Christmas.

when you file a "report" where the hell does it go???? Thanks
That wouldn't be a question for this thread about Heated Grips and should go elsewhere, but hoping people don't treat this as an invite to then derail the thread-they go for admin review. We saw two of them.

if, however, if you accidentally hit Report then you meant to click Post....please don't do that. And especially don't do it twice.

if it is a legitimate report then you should be an explanation of why you think there's an issue with the content of what somebody posted. Pasting in what looks like something you wanted to post really confuses us and wakes us up from our post-company-potluck-food-comas.

Your two reports have been marked as complete believeing they were misreports. Re-report if it was legitimate. :)

Thanks.

The Management.