Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
I've seen some posts about the Oxford heated grips. I'm wonder is that a good choice or is there a better one. I remember reading the Oxford grips for adventure bikes was the ones to get.

The Oxford Premium Adventure grips are wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. They are more grippy, more aggressively textured than the OEM, slightly larger in diameter, and they work. They are also less than $100. Very easy installation.

Do NOT get the Touring grips. They are too short for the FJR. Ironically, that box has an FJR pictured on it. The instructions have an FJR pictured. But they don't fit the FJR.

There are other brands that I am sure work well. I only have experience with these.

I have purchased the Oxford Adventure Heated grips, and they sit in my garage waiting for install. I am going to installed them once my Throttlemister arrives and I can break away from my three kids for a bit.

Question on the wiring of the Oxford grips. Did you connect them directly to the battery or to the accessory plug for the Yamaha heated grips?

I installed the Yamaha heated grips on my last bike. The plug and play was nice, but it wasn't nice enough to justify the X4 cost over aftermarket grips.

Another +1 for the Oxford grips.

I would suggest powering the grips through an ignition switched relay to avoid the dead battery syndrome. Some power controllers will shut down when battery voltage drops below a preset point, but it's not good for the battery and can still lead to disappointment on a very cold morning when you push the starter button. If you use the Yamaha power controller and Yamaha connectors you will have an ignition switched power source.

Try Eastern Beaver for connectors which you can put on the Oxford grip wires so that they are plug 'n play.

I also prefer to use a grip glue like this Honda glue which isn't permanent like an epoxy, it works good, smells great
stunned.gif
and is reversible.

pro_12_han_cem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own on my Trophy.

Piccy of heating wire wound round grip before final covering

(click on image for larger view)

Link to full explanation.

Worked well, cost very, very little (a switch, some heat shrink and some resistance wire).

I installed under-grip heaters years ago. They work really well but on the left you need to insulate the bar under the heater so it doesn't bleed the heat away. The throttle doesn't need it. Then use what ever grips you like!

But the problem is....I long ago forgot what brand! :)

I have the oxford premium adv grips they are the same length as the stock grips - a little over 5 inches long. I will say that they were a pain to install over the G2 throttle tube so if you have an 06 or an 07 with an after market throttle tube keep that in mind. They are wired through my eastern beaver aux block - I wanted to make sure they were off when the bike was off - they are on a switched circuit. They work really well - I have never gone over 50% they get really hot. At less than $100 you cannot go wrong they put the stock heated grips to shame.

I installed the Oxford Premium Sports grips a couple of years ago. The only real issue I have with them is that the the little buttons to change the heat setting are very difficult, if not impossible, to use while wearing gloves. Other than that the grips provide plenty of heat, at least down to around 38F which is my personal "don't ride" temperature. Installation was easy using an Eastern Beaver fuse box. I used epoxy to mount the grips as the grip glue I had didn't hold once the grips heated up. Later discovered the tube of grip glue that Oxford had included and that I should have used instead of epoxy.

The controller on my Oxford grips has four or five discrete buttons for power levels. Maybe this is a newer controller.

The new "Smart" controller is different. I think it only has two buttons but I would have to ask Pop. He tested all of the features it advertised and reported that it did exactly what the literature claimed.

My '09 had Symtec heaters under the stock grips. They worked OK, but the PO installed them with a two position switch. Low wasn't quite enough and hi was waaaay too much. Definitely candidates for some sort of heattroller. For my Tenere, I considered the Oxford Adventure but instead went with a set from KTM Twins. Those were an easy install and get plenty hot.

Good luck!

--G

I just went and looked at a photo. I was wrong my controller has a + and a - button with 5 heat levels. The buttons are raised and very easy to use. I knew there was something about 5 levels.

An isolated data point on the Oxford heated grips controller. Fitted to my son's Hornet, worked well, but after a couple of years the controller failed. Since it was out of its warranty period, we took it apart to find a component wire had pulled from its soldered joint to the printed circuit board. We re-soldered it, but couldn't do a good repair owing to the cramped space and wire lengths etc.

A few months later it failed again, a day before a trip to a potentially very cold Spain (when else?). He took off the controller and fitted a simple on/off switch to create a manual mark-space controller ;) . It remained like that until he sold it.

I believe this was a one-off, normally Oxford stuff is of good quality, but I just thought I'd mention it.

My '09 had Symtec heaters under the stock grips. They worked OK, but the PO installed them with a two position switch. Low wasn't quite enough and hi was waaaay too much. Definitely candidates for some sort of heattroller. For my Tenere, I considered the Oxford Adventure but instead went with a set from KTM Twins. Those were an easy install and get plenty hot.
Good luck!

--G
I installed the KTM grips on my A990 prior to the Tenere.... Those are some hot grips there. I picked up the Oxford for my FJR. Yamaha is too proud of their heated grips. Have yet to install them.