Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An isolated data point on the Oxford heated grips controller. Fitted to my son's Hornet, worked well, but after a couple of years the controller failed. Since it was out of its warranty period, we took it apart to find a component wire had pulled from its soldered joint to the printed circuit board. We re-soldered it, but couldn't do a good repair owing to the cramped space and wire lengths etc.
A few months later it failed again, a day before a trip to a potentially very cold Spain (when else?). He took off the controller and fitted a simple on/off switch to create a manual mark-space controller
wink.png
. It remained like that until he sold it.

I believe this was a one-off, normally Oxford stuff is of good quality, but I just thought I'd mention it.
NO! That is NOT possible! If MY Oxford never had any issues then no one can have any issues!
smile.png

I make most of my wife's money troubleshooting/repairing/replacing instruments in a refinery. I am always amazed and impressed that the relatively inexpensive components on our bikes and automobiles last as long and work as well as they do. I worry more about my own wiring and installation than about the reliability of the components themselves, yet we know they can fail. And, naturally, they always fail either the day before or halfway through a long trip.

Graler mentioned having issues with getting the throttle side over the G2 Throttle Tamer. I forgot, we had that same issue. I wrapped a piece of emery cloth around a metal rod and "honed" the inside of the grip with my drill. The good part is that with the textured surface of the G2, no glue was required on that side. Another thought, the left side handlebar is painted. If the glue dissolves the paint, then that grip will spin. Best to remove the paint on the left side before installation.

Edit:

A grip honing tool:

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has Oxfords Touring mounted on her bike. I wired them to be powered through a power distribution box. She loves them. This is the second set she's bought. First set was installed on her previous bike.

Me, I've got the OEM. They came standard with my bike. No issue.