Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtd

Reaction score
Trying to decide which type of heated grips to install. Anyone using Hot Grips listed on the Hot Grips website as being specific to the FJR? Also, whats the best circuit / wire to tap power from? Throttlemeister installed also. First heated grip install for me so any comments welcome.

I'm sure someone else will be along directly to tell you to use the search function to find your answer, so I'll just move past that.

I use the Symtec kit and love it. It has 2 settings: volcano-heat and surface-of-the-sun. I think it's the same kit sold under the Dual-Star name, but I'm not sure. They're definitely a good value.

I tried the Big Bikes setup mentioned in another old thread here, but they really don't put out enough heat for my cold climate. Not worth the money IMO though the controller does fit perfectly.

For power, I used the Warchild barrier strip method so I could install other farkles easily. My barrier strips are placed under the glove box panel up front (B? A?) and are pretty easy to get to.

Hope that helps.

Dave

I had the dealer install a set. They tapped right into the battery, which meant they could easily have been switched on even with the bike off, so I changed the power lead to the power lead to the horn on the left side. Now they can only be turned on when the key is on.
GripZipcopy.jpg

They left a fair amount of loose wires hanging as well, so I just drilled two small holes in the vertical portion of the left fairing and zip-tied them and the little ceramic thingy that comes with the grips behind there (arrrow in photo). The lead to the grips can be seen coming out to the right of the arrow. Toggle switch is mounted in the little square pop-out panel I bought a rubber boot to keep rain out of the switch. The grips work great. Keep my hands warm through my heavy winter-weight gloves.

Craig

I'm sure someone else will be along directly to tell you to use the search function to find your answer, so I'll just move past that.
I use the Symtec kit and love it. It has 2 settings: volcano-heat and surface-of-the-sun. I think it's the same kit sold under the Dual-Star name, but I'm not sure. They're definitely a good value.

I tried the Big Bikes setup mentioned in another old thread here, but they really don't put out enough heat for my cold climate. Not worth the money IMO though the controller does fit perfectly.

For power, I used the Warchild barrier strip method so I could install other farkles easily. My barrier strips are placed under the glove box panel up front (B? A?) and are pretty easy to get to.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Thanks for the reply Dave. Gunnison is right next door to Moab. The ride from Gunnison Res over the mountain to that little town near Cedaredge? is awesome.

I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to the Hot Grips model recommended for the FJR. I saw the Symtec type of heat tape that applies directly to the bars, but thought the left grip would loose some heat to the bar, so I was thinking that the Hot Grip style might be a good way to go - but more $$. Sounds like you like the Symtec unit though. Sounds like the horn or headlight circuit would be good for a power source.

'07, Honda heated grips, Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, and G2. 0 problems, and the heat is good, and the TM works as it should.

DSC_0793.jpg

Thread hijack:

Gunnison is right next door to Moab. The ride from Gunnison Res over the mountain to that little town near Cedaredge? is awesome.
Next door indeed. I do manage to get over there a couple times a year (just got back last week), but I have historically avoided the Moab area in exchange for the less popular Escalante region. However, if you'd be willing to share any "secret" canyoneering routes, hidden lakes/streams full of native cutthroat, unknown backpacking trails, or if you just want to give me some of your favorite, local ride suggestions, I could make an exception. I would certainly do the same for you... ;)

Dave

Thread hijack:

Gunnison is right next door to Moab. The ride from Gunnison Res over the mountain to that little town near Cedaredge? is awesome.
Next door indeed. I do manage to get over there a couple times a year (just got back last week), but I have historically avoided the Moab area in exchange for the less popular Escalante region. However, if you'd be willing to share any "secret" canyoneering routes, hidden lakes/streams full of native cutthroat, unknown backpacking trails, or if you just want to give me some of your favorite, local ride suggestions, I could make an exception. I would certainly do the same for you... ;)

Dave
Dave,

Some of the best riding in Moab is actually in Colorado. From here to Grand Jct via Gateway; From here to telluride; here to Ouray to Durango (loop). A couple of good local rides are here to Deadhorse point / Grand View overlook in Canyonlands Nat'l park Island in the Sky district and from here to C'lands Needles district to the C'lands Needles Outpost (for lunch) and back. Let me know if you get a chance to come over & I can hook you up w/ more detail.

Jim

Serious thread hijack:

From here to Grand Jct via Gateway
I love that section of 141 south of Gateway. GREAT road and usually no traffic. B) I'm curious about the rest of your route, but I imagine I can figure it out if I look at the map. I bet BobG might be willing to give some advice in that area as well if he reads this.

Thanks for the tips on the other rides :)

Let me know if you get a chance to come over & I can hook you up w/ more detail.
I will do that. Same goes for you.

So I take it you're not throwing any secret slot canyons my way? C'mon, the Moab locals must have hundreds! ;)

I just purchased a 2005 FJR that has a Throttle meister on it. I'm interested in heated grips as well, but Throttle meister's FAQ says they do not recommend this. Has anyone tried this, are there any problems?
https://www.throttlemeister.com/FAQs.html
I bought an 06 FJR that has a Throttlemeister on it and installed Symtec heated grips on it.

Now the TM doesn't work but for 10 seconds or so. The TM just won't wedge.

I'm just going to install an Audiovox cruise controll and get rid of the problem for good.

I had the dealer install a set. They tapped right into the battery, which meant they could easily have been switched on even with the bike off, so I changed the power lead to the power lead to the horn on the left side. Now they can only be turned on when the key is on.
They left a fair amount of loose wires hanging as well, so I just drilled two small holes in the vertical portion of the left fairing and zip-tied them and the little ceramic thingy that comes with the grips behind there (arrrow in photo).

Craig
Craig,

That "ceramic thingy" is a high wattage resistor that is used to knock down the current when the grips are in the "low" heat position. That sucker may get kinda warm (maybe even hot) if you are using your grips for a long time in the low position. It may eventually melt the insulation of the wires you have tie-wrapped to it. You may want to find another place to wrap your excess wiring to.

Now, the best option is to do what I did and install a HeatTroller for your grips. The advantages of the heatroller are:

1) You have variable / adjustable heat rather than only two selections. Gives you something to play with on long boring rides ;-)

2) The heatroller is a "pulse width modulator". What this means is it turns the grips on and off (full blast) at varying duty cycles. This is good because you aren't wasting any of your precious (limited) alternator output on heating up that ceramic thingy. All of the power is going directly to the grip heaters.

3) You get a little led display that flashes with the heater duty cycle. Anything we can do to add blinky lights on the FJR is a good thing, right?

Here's a picture of where I mounted my HeatTroller control knob: https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2733464550...oAo?vhost=rides You can see the LED just to the right of the knob. You can also see the original Hi Lo switch is still there, though it isn't hooked to anything right now, mostly because I don't have anything to fill the hole.

For anyone considering the Honda heated grips as shown above and mentioned in this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=8074&st=40

There's an additional benefit; the kit comes with much heavier than stock bar ends in a black color. They are keyed to fit Honda bars, but if you cut off all but about 1/4 inch of the part that inserts into the bar then you'll have a nice set of heavy black bar ends. Oh yea, you'll need longer screws but they have those cheap at the hardware store.

I bought the Dual Stars heaters for $30 and they and the FZ-1 mirrors are the best things I've done to Maxine.

They are simple, grids with the wires and adhesive. You stick 'em on the plastic throttle tube and the clutch side bar. I'd recommend wrapping the clutch side bar with electrical tape or something else to lesson the heat sink effect of the nekked metal bar. I bought a hi/off/lo switch at a Marine supply store (comes with a chinczy switch) hooked it up and never looked back. Hi/lo is "good enough." I don't personally think the heat troller (costs more than the Dual Stars) is worth the money or the effort. I've ridden in 17 degree wx and while my hands aren't blistered, they are "warm enough."

So far they've laste 2 years.

They left a fair amount of loose wires hanging as well, so I just drilled two small holes in the vertical portion of the left fairing and zip-tied them and the little ceramic thingy that comes with the grips behind there (arrrow in photo).

Craig
Craig,

That "ceramic thingy" is a high wattage resistor that is used to knock down the current when the grips are in the "low" heat position. That sucker may get kinda warm (maybe even hot) if you are using your grips for a long time in the low position. It may eventually melt the insulation of the wires you have tie-wrapped to it. You may want to find another place to wrap your excess wiring to.
Well, that's good to know. I just got back from a 3-day trip and did use the grips most of the mornings. I'll check those wires tomorrow and see if I can come up with a better plan. Thanks for the heads up.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the honda st1300 heated grips on my 2006 ABS....I bought them for $150 online. They look and perform great. Plus its "A HONDA"

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a 2005 FJR that has a Throttle meister on it. I'm interested in heated grips as well, but Throttle meister's FAQ says they do not recommend this. Has anyone tried this, are there any problems?
I bought an 06 FJR that has a Throttlemeister on it and installed Symtec heated grips on it.Now the TM doesn't work but for 10 seconds or so. The TM just won't wedge.
While I'm sure it's not officially recommended by anyone, you can get the TM to work with heated grips. Depending on how the grips get fitted and what brand they are, the end that the Throttlemiester clamps against may be a little further in or out than the standard Yamaha grip. All you need to do is compensate for it.

I've got the Yamaha heated grips and my TM works fine once I "fixed" it. I didn't want to trash the brass spacer thing that came with the TM, so I took a small ratchet socket (9mm I think, but I won't swear to that) and put it in it's place. The TM didn't clamp onto the grips, so I just ground a little off the end of the socket. Rinse, repeat. When it clamps down correctly, you're done. ;) It's a PITA, but you only have to do it once and mine has been working fine for three years now.