Heli Risers and cutting the cage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
OK, spent the last few hours searching the forums for all the information about Bar risers.

I think at this point I'm going to go with the bar risers from Heli as opposed to the full clamp replacement (Nervous about drilling ign bolts, plus is cheaper) However how hard is it to cut the steel cage that the brake and clutch lines route through? Am I going to have a jagged edge leftover that I have to live with.....

My baby is brandy new, and I would like to keep her looking as good as possible till the miles make it impossible :)

I can't speak to the riser blocks but I would guess you will have a jagged edge when done. I put the full replacement risers on and the cable cage goes away with the old triple clamp. Cutting the cable cage was easy with some cable cutters. Drilling out the security bolts wasn't problem although I screwed up and didn't get the center punch in the center of the bolt and had to resort to a dremel grinder to finish off the bolt head removal. Its pretty easy if you have a drill press.

7X

Bite the bullet and go with the group buy on the new triple clamp set up. You'll save $$$$ in the long run and have alot nicer set up. It's too soon to start the "bailing wire modifications" on you new scoot! 3 hundie and you'll have what you need and 2 ball mount threaded holes in the new triple clamp for electronics too! We need three more for the 15% discount. Do it! :yahoo:

I can't speak to the riser blocks but I would guess you will have a jagged edge when done. I put the full replacement risers on and the cable cage goes away with the old triple clamp. Cutting the cable cage was easy with some cable cutters. Drilling out the security bolts wasn't problem although I screwed up and didn't get the center punch in the center of the bolt and had to resort to a dremel grinder to finish off the bolt head removal. Its pretty easy if you have a drill press.7X
Gunny that.

You can cut through the wire loom with a hack saw blade in about 2 minutes. That frees up the cables to remove the triple clamp and then you can just unscrew the rest of the wire loom.

I put the Heli triple clamp riser on mine. It was worth it. The cable stay that gets cut gets taken out with the old triple clamp so it's not an issue. It's a little bit of work to put on since there is some drilling required, but again, it's well worth the effort. The cable stay is easily cut with dikes.

Had to cut the cage for the Genmar risers. Used a pneumatic pencil grinder with a cut-off wheel. Quick and easy, but had to be careful not to cut a hydraulic line. Looking back, I probably could have gotten away with bending them, but I made the mistake of following the directions.