Helibar triple clap - can't wait

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Well, I was too late to score the discount on the recent group buy, but that didn't stop me - just ordered the Heli bar triple clamp riser. (Skip the "clap" jokes from the post title typo... ;) )

Can't wait to get it, though I'll have to as I took the el cheapo free UPS ground shipping option... no biggie as I'm not in any rush.

Can't wait to see this thing in person and get some guys together to help me install it *hint, hint*... :D

main_full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll like it. I just put one on, along with the riser blocks, which work fine with it despite conflicting info on Heli's site.

I'm really looking forward to a long ride now. Unfortunately, it's 15 degrees outside as I write this . . . .

Ditto what Watts just said, and when that work of art arrives you will not

want to wait for "helpers", not hard to install at all.

Ditto what Watts just said, and when that work of art arrives you will notwant to wait for "helpers", not hard to install at all.
Exactly!

It made a big difference for me - now I honestly feel I can ride literally all day. After my install, I rode for 11+hrs with a few stops and in complete comfort.

You can do it easily by yourself SportsGuy - get the few tools together, read through the docs once or twice, and get to it! Go slow. The drilling out of the anti theft bolts is a pain - I used a hand drill and even utilized my dremel a bit. Regardless of those time it took to get those bolts 'out', I was done in under 3 hours and I was pretty slow...

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm sure I can find someone around with a drill press who'll want to tinker with a bike, too.

Just curios here, but is there a special tool one could purchase to remove the anti- theft bolts? ... And do the get replaced during the install of the new component somehow? I like the sound of anti-theft anything!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm sure I can find someone around with a drill press who'll want to tinker with a bike, too.
Just curios here, but is there a special tool one could purchase to remove the anti- theft bolts? ... And do the get replaced during the install of the new component somehow? I like the sound of anti-theft anything!

in short, it's a steel washer which has been soldered over the back/bottom of the ignition, as long as you don't destroy it your work there will never be seen

Other than the bolts (and yes I made a mess of my housing, and finally gave in and replaced my smoking 14.4 dewalt) it was a breeze to install. I did not remove the tank, nor disconnect the wires - I blocked it up a bit, but realized I had enough slack to flip the tree over and drill the bolts out ... though the curved surface of the tank and the blanket on top probably wasn't the most stable surface to drill the bolts out on!

Overall I'm very pleased with the clamp, and install took me about an hour and a half mostly because I kept rechecking myself.

if you have (or know someone locally that has one) use an automatic center punch then use a hand drill, start with an small bit first then move up the drill size until the the heads of the bolts come off.

the hard part if your doing it your by yourself is if your front wheel in on the ground when you take off the OEM clamp, you will have "colorful words" that come out of your mouth getting it all aligned back in to place. After that tap it with an rubber dead-blow hammer to fully seat it then follow the torque sequence then go for an ride B) (if the the weather is still good)

I used a Dremel tool to take the bolts as I could not get the drill bit to drill exactally on center. Dremil makes a bit (not a drill bit) that removes all maner of steel easily.

It is the Dremil Tungsten Carbide Cutter PN\9901

I would not attempt the job without one on hand.

Don't forget to use BLUE Locktite on all bolts. :assassin:

These triple clamps are the Shit! I can't believe I waited so long to get a set. Put them on this summer after the June group buy. Did the lOE 1000 in early Oct and no hand or wrist issues at all. You'll love them. And they were about an hour and a half install time complete. :clapping:

Excellent feedback and ideas gang! Thanks. :)

Anyone try using those broken bolt/screw extractors to get the security bolts out?

I don't have any info on the install as my dealer did it for me when they did the ignition switch recall but I can say that it was money well spent in terms of comfort level.

Here's a question.

Should I replace the steering head bearing when i install the new triple clamp?

I haven't ordered any and just thought about this now. The Black Barge has roughly 2600 miles on her now, so still all pretty new.

Here's a question.
Should I replace the steering head bearing when I install the new triple clamp?

...the Black Barge has roughly 2600 miles on her now, so still all pretty new.
Why are you fixing what isn't broke... :blink: Install the new triple clamp and enjoy. :p

--G

Here's a question.
Should I replace the steering head bearing when I install the new triple clamp?

...the Black Barge has roughly 2600 miles on her now, so still all pretty new.
Why are you fixing what isn't broke... :blink: Install the new triple clamp and enjoy. :p

--G
Just asking the question so I CAN do the work when ready, and not held up because I forgot to order something I need. ;)

duane

[SIZE=18pt]It's HERE! [/SIZE]

Work of art - now, where and when to install...

Anyone up for a comprehensive install session? Triple clamp, fuse block, aux light mounts... :D

This sounds like a get together (GTG) to me... :)

[SIZE=18pt]It's HERE! [/SIZE]
Work of art - now, where and when to install...

Anyone up for a comprehensive install session? Triple clamp, fuse block, aux light mounts... :D

This sounds like a get together (GTG) to me... :)
I had Eastside install mine when they did the ignition recall. The only hard part seems to be drilling out the existing security bolts.

I can help with the Fuseblock install, god knows I know this one by heart (plus I think I have the same one). I would only need a heat gun (like a blow dryer, only hotter) if you wanted the shrink wrap stuff to look nice. Bring your wiring harness to work and we can head over to the local electronics store for some goodies to make it look nice and custom.