HeliBar wont fit !!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMung

Reaction score
Installing the bar, and all was going fine....until...

The Heli will NOT fully seat down over the forks and steering stem.....comes down about a quarter inch short of fully seated...

Trying WD-40, and unweighting the front wheel, and every other means possible, but it will not seat !!! For over an hour !! %$#$%@!

Does anyone have any ideas ? It seems to me the steering nut angle, is not the same as the for tube angles....hangs up every time....

What to do ??

The stock clamp fits on just fine..

Nothing is interfering, it just stops....

Sure would appreaciate any advice on how to get the thing down fully and seated......

Thanks

I had a little of the same problem last month when I installed mine. But all I had to do was to put on the front brake and move the bike back and forth a bit. Sounds like you should becareful though...it may be trying to tell you something.

The Heli will NOT fully seat down over the forks and steering stem.....comes down about a quarter inch short of fully seated...

Trying WD-40, and unweighting the front wheel, and every other means possible, but it will not seat !!! For over an hour !! %$#$%@!

Does anyone have any ideas ? It seems to me the steering nut angle, is not the same as the for tube angles....hangs up every time....

What to do ??

Sure would appreaciate any advice on how to get the thing down fully and seated......

Thanks
Just a WAG, but check that you ordered the correct part number. On their website, there are two versions and EVERYTHING looks the same except that one is the Euro/Canada version. I do NOT know what the difference is, but there must be a difference and I almost ordered the wrong one last night. :dribble:

By the way, I installed one on Saturday morning and it went on like butter. Not even a bind or a snag. :rolleyes:

I can't find it now, but I was reading a thread here where someone said they had to use a brake cylinder hone to slightly enlarge the hole for the steering stem.

I can't find it now, but I was reading a thread here where someone said they had to use a brake cylinder hone to slightly enlarge the hole for the steering stem.
It should slip over without much effort. With that said, before you hone anything call Heli and make sure you have the correct clamp, and if so explain the problem. They will take care of you, especially if you mention this forum.

Found it:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...p;mode=threaded

"Ordered the new Heli bar triple clamp , did the installation myself . the clamps center hole was about 10 thousandth to small had to use a brake hon to enlarge the hole. The folks at Heli Modified worked with me on this problem, offered to send another one but said it would be the same size. My only guess is that some of the early 06 FJR's are a little different .Used the hon on the clamp got it to fit, and love it. No more wrist pain !"

according to the instructions you can't install an US clamp on a Euro or Canadian because of the alarm system, it says if you do anything to the ignition switch it will disable the bike and cost a fortune to fix.

But it says nothing about installing Euro or Canadian on a US bike.........

R

I had the same problem when I tried to install mine. I tried some of the methods listed on this forum with no results. I even stood on the pegs and rocked the bike thinking I wasn't lining up the shocks correctly. I called Heli and they overnighted me a new one and included a return shipping label to send the other one back. I can't remember who I talked to but he said that it might be under-bored by a "thou", and they have only one other one like that in a few thousand clamps.

My advice is to call them and see what they say. My replacement slid right down with only a little pressure on the rear subframe.

The clamp and the customer service are first rate in my opinion.

Well, the bar is on now.....

Had to Dremel some material off the inside of the steering hub hole, probably 10 thousands or so....to get it to fit.

Seems the forks angle from vertical, was slightly different than the steering hub's....material only removed from one side of the inside of the hole for hub.

Best news is the position is very comfortable for my ergo's......

My 4,000 mile ride coming up will be much much more pleasant now.........

Thanks

according to the instructions you can't install an US clamp on a Euro or Canadian because of the alarm system, it says if you do anything to the ignition switch it will disable the bike and cost a fortune to fix.
But it says nothing about installing Euro or Canadian on a US bike.........

R
I had enquired about the difference's when I ordered mine during the GB, The difference is in the size of the hole for the ignition.

I had the same problem with mine. No matter how hard I pushed it wouldn't slide over the steering stem. I measured the hole in the Heli and the steering stem and the hole was undersized. I called Heli and they said they had a few that were undersized that slipped through QC. They sent me a new one before I even returned the defective one. They were also very applogetic. Good customer service in my opinion. The new one slipped on with a resounding "thunk". You might want to give them a call and discuss your problem with them. They might provide you with a new one rather than having something that you had to use a dremel on to get it to fit.

I had the same problem on my '07. Everything went perfectly until time to slide the triple clamp over the stem bolt. I hate to admit this but with the proper size drift and a large enough hammer, it is now installed. Should I ever need to have stem work done I will probably trade for a newer FJR.

I had previous experience with the Heli folks and have no doubt that they would have done their part to fix the problem. I was just too tired and impatient.

OBD

What to do ??

Thanks
Sorry to here you are having the same issue . I am the guy that used the brake hone, after talking with the people at heli they said the next one would have the same ID