Hello all. Newbe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumminelli

Reaction score
My name is Paul from Media, Pa. Been riding most of my life and a couple of years I sold my 17 Indian vintage for one reason and one reason only it became too heavy for me. Just turned 72. So I went to a much lighter Harley softail deluxe. Loved the way the bike fit me ( I’m only 5’6” with a 29” inseam) and the way it looked but that was it. Believe me It was no Indian. I always had Honda’s as a kid and loved the old cb750 4 cylinder. In fact I still have a 85 nighthawk 650.
I tried sitting on many bikes in the 600 lb area and almost all the imports were to tall for me. I came across a really clean 2008 fjr with 11k on it and decided to make it fit me. I know everybody says never lower a bike, but that just what I did. I used soupy’s adjustable lowering links on the rear (1 1/2 in) and raised the front forks about 3/4 in in the front. Also added heli bar risers and it fits me perfectly. I’m 5’6” tall with 29” inseam. I can flat foot it and feel very safe on it. I don’t think the handling suffered at all.
Other things I did was added T. rex bag protectors and tip over protector’s, heated grips and I bought the turn signal cancelling kit and led headlight bulbs but haven’t installed them yet. What a great bike. Power, smoothness, handling good looks and good gas mileage on regular gas total package!
I would like to add Highway pegs and I say somewhere on this forum that someone here makes a nice set that kind of blend in with the bike nicely. I anyone has that information could you please pass it on to me. Thanks Paul.

Attachments

• 8F08476C-3EC6-444B-A674-407D59C4BF96.jpeg
    8F08476C-3EC6-444B-A674-407D59C4BF96.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • F8576CF3-0F79-4CD0-8E59-861A754FC300.jpeg
    F8576CF3-0F79-4CD0-8E59-861A754FC300.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Not sure if I sent the pm correctly?
If you hover over the member's name (or click on it), you will see a selection "Start Conversation". This will enable you to initiate an private communication that is not visible to anyone the forum. Works like email from there.
Or you can click on the envelope at the top right of your screen and choose "start a new conversation" from there. As you start typing the recipient's name, you can pick from options that come up as you type.

Thank you for all the nice welcomes. I hooked up through pm and was able to order my HW pegs.
Just to mention I’m also working on 2 other bikes. A 2000 Vmax 1200 and a 1984 Kawasaki gpz900r a Top gun replica. Having fun in my retirement.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2936.jpeg
    IMG_2936.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I do love the GPzs. I had an 84 GPz 750 Turbo and an 82 GPz 305.

Both were fun bikes but neither were in good shape. I'd love to pick up a mint 750 Turbo though. Gotta win that lottery first.

Still getting some kinks out of it. Been chasing an oil leak on it for a while. After changing multiple gaskets with no luck finally figured out that the water pump has a weep hole in it that excess antifreeze can leak out of unless the internal oil seal goes then oil will come out of it. Ordered a new water pump $300. Hopefully then I will be finished with it. Been working on it for 2 years off and on.

Still getting some kinks out of it. Been chasing an oil leak on it for a while. After changing multiple gaskets with no luck finally figured out that the water pump has a weep hole in it that excess antifreeze can leak out of unless the internal oil seal goes then oil will come out of it. Ordered a new water pump $300. Hopefully then I will be finished with it. Been working on it for 2 years off and on.
You can buy the individual parts to rebuild/repair the water pump as long as you know what's needed. The entire water pump for later gen FJR is backward compatible, IIRC, and $185.65 from Partzilla.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2018/fjr1300a-fjr13ajcl/water-pump

I was looking for something that would fit possibly from another Kawasaki model but no one could guarantee it would work. It’s to much work to do it twice. So I payed the man.