Hello

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalholt

Reaction score
Hi! I’m a new member & owner of a 2005 FJR 1300. Love the bike but I’m having some power issues & enjoy seeing lots of information.
Crystal

I was driving down the road in the middle of traffic & the bike powered off completely. I tried to restart, nothing. The day before same but I got it running again. I took the battery in to verify it was good & was great. I parked it & came back 5 hours later to trailer it home & it started right up. I trailered it anyways so I wasn’t caught in traffic again. I’m not sure if the headlight was on- it was a bright sunny day here in Florida.

Just to be clear, battery verified: did you have it professionally tested under load? My battery read 12.8 volts. I thought it was fine, but still had starting issues. I removed it; once the shop jolted it with a charge, the voltage dropped to 0.5 volts. A dead/dying battery will show intermittent signs of life. KISS - if the battery under load showed a full charge, then it's not your battery.

Just to be clear, battery verified: did you have it professionally tested under load? My battery read 12.8 volts. I thought it was fine, but still had starting issues. I removed it; once the shop jolted it with a charge, the voltage dropped to 0.5 volts. A dead/dying battery will show intermittent signs of life. KISS - if the battery under load showed a full charge, then it's not your battery.
Hi! Yes I took the battery in & had it test under load & it was all good. Cleaned the connections @
Welcome Crystal, enjoy the ride. Must be pretty warm in FL this time of year?
oh yes it’s high 80’s low 90’s! Beautiful to be riding ☺️

Hi! I’m a new member & owner of a 2005 FJR 1300. Love the bike but I’m having some power issues & enjoy seeing lots of information.
Crystal
Welcome from the great white north! I saw your post about the harness, it would be for Gen 2 bike I'm afraid. Good luck with your electrical issues, if you were close I'd help you out. I do this electrical stuff for fun.

Hi! Yes I took the battery in & had it test under load & it was all good. Cleaned the connections @

oh yes it’s high 80’s low 90’s! Beautiful to be riding ☺️
Crystal; Try looking at your insulators on the battery terminals, cable side. Years ago I had a post of my bike doing freaky things and battery going dead, nothing working, then it does. I thought I had bad gas it ran so bad. I finally found that the rubber insulators were under the terminal and making the connection extremely poor to the battery posts where barely nothing was contacting and it would come loose after a while. If they insulators are in the way cut them so nothing can be between the bottom of the terminal and your battery posts. I had pix etc, but they are gone thanks to Photo Bucket. But problem was solved!