Helmet Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordrock

Reaction score
Helmet Buffeting

When ever the wife and I ride two-up my helmet gets tossed around pretty badly. The wicked buffeting begins when we’re traveling above 55mph.

We both wear full face helmets, but they’re not the same manufacture. I was a Bob Lampheres Beaverton Honda a few months ago and saw a FJR with an attached piece on the top portion of the stock windshield; I haven’t been able to find anything like that on the web.

Does anyone have an idea about how to fix the helmet buffeting and where to find that nifty height extender for my 07?

Helmet Buffeting
When ever the wife and I ride two-up my helmet gets tossed around pretty badly. The wicked buffeting begins when we’re traveling above 55mph.

We both wear full face helmets, but they’re not the same manufacture. I was a Bob Lampheres Beaverton Honda a few months ago and saw a FJR with an attached piece on the top portion of the stock windshield; I haven’t been able to find anything like that on the web.

Does anyone have an idea about how to fix the helmet buffeting and where to find that nifty height extender for my 07?
I think the part you're looking for is the Laminar Lip. There's a forum member selling one for a Gen I,don't know if they are different for Gen IIs. Clicky A Google search for Laminar Lip should hook you up with a place to buy a new one.

Mike

Helmet Buffeting

go to twistedthrottle.com they have them for sale. I'm looking at them myself as you can adj it without having the goldwing looking shield

IMO Helmet buffeting is an aerodynamic phenomena. "Dirty air" I've heard it called. It bothered me for a long time with my CeeBaileys (Gen 1) +4+2 windshield. This spring while preparing for across country fall trip, I knew I would have to find a better solution than the +4+2 from CeeBaileys. I did a lot of research (mostly here) and decided to give the CalSci XL a try.

I've been very pleased with it. Buffeting is essentially gone and the wind noise is also noticeably reduced. I'm sure they're related. Check out the CalSci website for technical jargon about the aerodynamic properties at work with motocycle windshields. I did and bought the explanation (and a $200 windshield) And glad I did. Leaving for the XC in two weeks and glad I don't have windshield concerns any more.

My $0.02. YMMV

IMO Helmet buffeting is an aerodynamic phenomena. "Dirty air" I've heard it called. It bothered me for a long time with my CeeBaileys (Gen 1) +4+2 windshield. This spring while preparing for across country fall trip, I knew I would have to find a better solution than the +4+2 from CeeBaileys. I did a lot of research (mostly here) and decided to give the CalSci XL a try.
I've been very pleased with it. Buffeting is essentially gone and the wind noise is also noticeably reduced. I'm sure they're related. Check out the CalSci website for technical jargon about the aerodynamic properties at work with motocycle windshields. I did and bought the explanation (and a $200 windshield) And glad I did. Leaving for the XC in two weeks and glad I don't have windshield concerns any more.

My $0.02. YMMV
FJReady, How tall are you?

Are you glad you didn't get the +4.5"?

You can go to SAENG.com they have some neat stuff. After that I would go to a larger windscreen. One of the reasons that you get buffeting is that when your wife gets on the bike the backend goes down and the dynamics change. I am not saying your wife is heavy it happens with mine and she only weighs in at 120lbs :yahoo:

Helmet Buffeting

go to twistedthrottle.com they have them for sale. I'm looking at them myself as you can adj it without having the goldwing looking shield
Laminar Lip: Attaches with 3M "dots"; not adjustable

Vario Windshield Fairing: Attaches with screws through the windshield; is adjustable

I've never been a fan of the Laminar Lip. I have a friend that swears by it on his ST1100 and I've always told him I'd be afraid of it letting go and hitting him. It happend earlier this summer on a clover leaf, it let loose and hit him in the helmet hard enough for him to loose control and low side. He was alright, picked it up and bought some new plastic. I was surprised he put it back on. It must really do the trick for him to take his chances at that again. He's no rookie either, he is running in the IBR this year with it.

I'll add my (inflation adjusted) $0.08 here... I'm convinced that the helmet has as much to do with buffeting as the windshield. I have a Cee Bailey's reverse contour flip windshield (+4" X +4"). I have 3 helmets (a Shoei RF-1000, a Nolan N-102, and an Arai Profile). Each of those helmets behaves completely differently under generally similar riding conditions. Among the 3, the Nolan suffers the worst buffeting, the Arai practically none at all.

The point being, that people trying to achieve clean air nirvana might just want to try a different helmet....

JMG, I am 6 ft tall.

I was sure I would be trimming down that big CalSci since it is about 2.5" higher that the +4 CB, but it turned out to work OK. For most riding I move it up about 1" from lowest setting.

It has a very different shape than the CB, I think that contributes to the aero improvements.

I was riding this past weekend and discovered that if I flip my face shield up (full face Scorpion helmet) all of my buffeting and wind noise disappear... it's like sitting in the perfect sweet spot. Must be the way the open shield interacts with the airflow I guess. So now I've been riding around with the shield open and wearing glasses. Kind of defeats the purpose but I can't get over how much nicer it is to leave it open. Anyone else experience this?

Absolutely! I flipped my face shield up on my HJC Symax all the way open and the wind noise disappears. Must act like a laminar lip on the top of your head. ;) I've been riding on the big slab with my face shield up for weeks. I have the 4 inch taller Yamaha windshield. Have to wear some other eye protection though.

Absolutely! I flipped my face shield up on my HJC Symax all the way open and the wind noise disappears. Must act like a laminar lip on the top of your head. ;) I've been riding on the big slab with my face shield up for weeks. I have the 4 inch taller Yamaha windshield. Have to wear some other eye protection though.

close those lids..... have you seen a picture of a helmet across the pavement what happens to the shield?

I bought a new helmet with my FJR and had initially thought that the quiet was because of the adjustable windshield and the helmets new face shield grommet.

BUT

as time wore on there's been some increase in rumble noise. I cleaned and polished the helmet and windshield noise is less again. This might mean that the "dirty" air vortices get cleaned up when surfaces are smoothest.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a fan of the Laminar Lip. I have a friend that swears by it on his ST1100 and I've always told him I'd be afraid of it letting go and hitting him. It happend earlier this summer on a clover leaf, it let loose and hit him in the helmet hard enough for him to loose control and low side. He was alright, picked it up and bought some new plastic. I was surprised he put it back on. It must really do the trick for him to take his chances at that again. He's no rookie either, he is running in the IBR this year with it.
The Laminar Lip can be mounted with screws also (if you specify when you order). I did my own thing, drilled holes right through two pads on each side for insurance and it works fine.