Helmet Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was riding this past weekend and discovered that if I flip my face shield up (full face Scorpion helmet) all of my buffeting and wind noise disappear... it's like sitting in the perfect sweet spot. Must be the way the open shield interacts with the airflow I guess. So now I've been riding around with the shield open and wearing glasses. Kind of defeats the purpose but I can't get over how much nicer it is to leave it open. Anyone else experience this?
Yes. Much quieter. However, you may get your glasses scratched if you wear glasses. Otherwise, wear protection-you will get dinged once in a while.

I've got the Yamaha touring windshield and I usually ride with the windshield fully extended. I have been riding with my face shield up for seven years. Don't even need ear plugs; quiet and calm, but gets pretty hot in that calm pocket of air when the ambient temp goes over 85 (which isn't a lot here in the Montana Rockies).

I don't have to raise my V-Stream screen all the way up. I adjust it so I can just look over the top of the shield. I rode from SLC to Moscow like that with my helmet visor up because I only had a tinted visor and it was at night. Nice and quiet. Still wore the ear plugs though.

I have a laminar lip on an OEM windsheild. It's no better (or worse) than my CBaileys +2 with flip.

I used it in the MD2020 this year and took it off when I got home and put the CBaileys back on, I think the CB is just that much nicer at highway speeds in the up position.

I too ride most of the time with my shield up, with eye protection of course, and it's much quieter.

YMMV.

Haven't had a pillion on in a couple years other than my kids and they are too small to judge really.

Oh and if that's her in your Avatar, I think we need more photos to make an adequate call on possible solutions for you :)

I haven't tried the Laminar Lip on my new FJ yet, but it's on the list. Had one on my ST1300 and found it was the best windshield option: much better than the stock shield alone, better than Clearview and a little better than a standard-size Calsci. I did have one of the LL-supplied 3-M dots come unstuck after many miles and in 100 degree sunshine, but LL sent me a sent me a replacement set of dots free.

The Lip is money well-spent, IMHO. And by-the-way, I have a piece of SAENG's rubber windshield edging, have tried it on three different bikes now and find it totally useless.

pete