Helmet question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am wondering, for those of you who wear a full face (flip up really) does your chin touch the front of the helmet? If so, do you really have to try to get it to touch or is it right there? I am renting a Multitec from Cycle Gear before I make up my mind if I am gonna keep it. I really love the helmet, but man, my chin is right there. No room for a mic, and if I go down on my face, I feel like I will break my jaw.

TIA,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all,
I am wondering, for those of you who wear a full face (flip up really) does your chin touch the front of the helmet? If so, do you really have to try to get it to touch or is it right there? I am renting a Multitec from Cycle Gear before I make up my mind if I am gonna keep it. I really love the helmet, but man, my chin is right there. No room for a mic, and if I go down on my face, I feel like I will break my jaw.

TIA,

Greg
Yep, thats how most of the flip ups fit. My Nolan is tight, not much chin room.

That's exactly why I don't have a flip-front helmet. My family is genetically predisposed with a prominent chin, so while I have a full-face, I don't have a flip-front.

BTW, if you DON'T have a full face helmet, even worse things could happen to your jaw! :dribble:

I only wear FF helmets. I am torn between solid and flip ups. I wear glasses, so that is why I lean toward the flip ups. I am really likin the Multitec.

You should not be able to touch the chin bar if the top is 1 to 2 fingers above your eyebrough and the chin strap has the correct tention.

They are out there.I'd say keep looking to you find one that meets all your requirements.

Jay Leno here. Chin [is] almost touching the front bar. Mic for me...no way. My Multitec is a great helmet other than this problem and after almost a year of use has loosened up a bit. FWIW, it seems a lot of the newer helmets from Shoei and Arai are fitting tighter around the chin area than they did a few years ago. I'll stick with a flip for the convenience, for now...

--G

i've worn glasses since i was 5, FF helmets, 25 years. there is nothing to putting my glasses on after i put my "hat" on...it is 2nd nature to take my glasses off b4 removing my helmet.

the fip open FF helmets are not for me due chin clearence issues..

its all in what we get used to.

i have to keep track of three pairs of eye wear. my prescription sun glasses, my work safety glasses, and my non work, in the shade glasses.

cadman

I have the MultiTech , wear glasses (while putting it on even) & mounted the mic on the flip up with no problems with chin touching. Sure is nice talking on the phone or eating & drinking while gently putting miles on . . . I can force my chin forward enough to touch it . .Depends on the head (that's what She said anyway) . . .

I've had my Multitec for two years now and love it. I recently got the hots for the new Nolan N103 becuse of the extra features but, after trying one on, I stuck with my Multitec.

If you want a flip up and have a prominent chin try a KBC, nice helmet and the chinbar is WAY out there.

DC

I wear an HJC SyMax II and my chin is close but only touches when I stick it out. There is probably not enough room for a mike in there.

As MadMike pointed out, some folks have a more prominent chin so it really is a personal fit kind of thing. Too bad it's so hard to find a dealer with a good selection to try on.

I've tried on several flip faces & had that problem on a couple of different brands. If you have that problem with a Multitech, don't try a Caberg on.

I wear a Multitech & have no clearance issues in the chin section... but if I didn't find one w/ face clearance, I would not have bought a flip face.

I put the mic in front of my mouth, not my chin . . . .It only takes about 3/8 of room, just enough room to be perfect (for my head shape)

+1 for KBC.

I have a FFR modular which I chose in large part because of the room at the chin. I can jut my chin far enough forward to touch the bar if I try, but when riding have good clearance.

There is sufficient clearance in front of my mouth that wearing a mic wouldn't be a problem.

I also like the solid metal latches on the KBC, after looking at the competition. Good luck with your search!

Don

I wear an HJC SyMax II and my chin is close but only touches when I stick it out. There is probably not enough room for a mike in there.
As MadMike pointed out, some folks have a more prominent chin so it really is a personal fit kind of thing. Too bad it's so hard to find a dealer with a good selection to try on.
Same fit with my SyMax II and I have a small chin.

SCRider

The Fulmer Modus has chin room for me. They have improved the build quality on the new ones and the high viz reflective paint options are striking... I've gone back to a regular full face now, I need a light weight helmet for my screwed up neck..

Latest posts