Helmet Speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Have a new Scorpion EXO-200 helmet (review to come after more use) that has compartments on either side for helmet speakers. Would like some ideas on what best worked for you. Would like to avoid an amplifier, these would be plugged into a fairly low output Sangean AM/FM/TV ipod sized radio. Appreciate in advance any responses.

Radman -

I use 2 solutions in my Shoei RF1000 - I have custom earplugs made by the Earplug Company (Bob Weis) and I also have the Autocom speakers that came with the Autocom Intercom system - it is fantastic - with the earplugs I hear perfect stereo with very little outside noise - when I don't feel like wearing the earplugs then the Autocom speakers work good. When on long distance traveling I plug my ears with foam earplugs and then I use the Autocom speakers turned up real loud to hear music and radar detector. Custom earplugs were about $150. and I spent a lot for the autocom setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy with the starcom full face set. In fact, I don't really have to "attach" (via the adhesive velcro) the speakers, I just place them snugly in the ear cutouts, and they stay put, and sound great.

Downside is that it's a PS2 style plug, so you need a startcom audio unit, but if you add other stuff, or want intercom or bike2bike, you'll want it anyway (at least I did).

So far I'm really happy with my new Autocom (5 days old), and I've been through two other brands to date. I'll post up under a new thread about it. Call Kieth @ Tulsa Truck Center if interested: 918-446-2245

Radman,

I use a headset from J&M that I had from an old Goldwing 15+ years ago. They still work well. I cut the mic from the unit and now just use the speakers. Just made a custom cable (min jack for the MP3 players and a standard 5 pin connector) from some parts at the local Radio Shack. Never had to crank the volume all the way up (close but never full blast).

BULL

I might still have a set laying around,

they're not super high tech, but they worked for me before going to in-ear speakers.

Check your pm box.

Shane

Radman, for shame! Buying into the off the shelf crowd! Pshaw! Actually, your radio has a 3.5 mm jack, right? Go buy a head phone set with thin speakers. Remove the head hoop and velcro the speakers in place. Voilà, Radears! This works well as I've done this with a cheap pair of American Airlines $2.00 'phones.

Have a new Scorpion EXO-200 helmet (review to come after more use) that has compartments on either side for helmet speakers. Would like some ideas on what best worked for you. Would like to avoid an amplifier, these would be plugged into a fairly low output Sangean AM/FM/TV ipod sized radio. Appreciate in advance any responses.
I bought the same helmet from the Scorpion distributor here in Laguna hills, and it comes in a very nice blue colbalt color. Anyways, the guys at Scorpion said they engineered the helmet around the chatterbox speaker system. So since I use chatterbox, the open faced speaker & mic was "almost a breeze to install". The speakers drop into the slots very easy after you unscrew the 2 philips heads, but I had to do alittle exacto cutting of the foam, to make the mic bracket fit. When used with my chatterbox, hearing my ipod or xmradio is of course more difficult because of the open face and hopefully the inner pads will break-in more, because they are stiff. They haven't recieved any of the smoked visors yet, so you'll have to keep inquiring about them later. Overall, I like using this helmet with the visor that comes with it, and when the weather gets even hotter, it will be my choice over the full faced Exo-700.

Radman,

I'm happy with the sound from my Softline headset. They also sell helmet speakers only just for MP3 or radio setups such as yours.

phone 800-381-8874

dobias <_<

PS: I don't think you'll get much reception with your radio & it's headset antenna. BTDT with personal radios & car radios with FM antennas. I gave up & went to Sirius.

I too like the J&M stuff. Headset is great. Even with earplugs in. Their whole system is high-quality and that's why I'm putting another one on my 06. Loved it on my 03!

Go buy a head phone set with thin speakers. Remove the head hoop and velcro the speakers in place. Voilà, Radears! This works well ...
+1.

I use a StarCom system & headset. But the primary advantage is the ability to wear foam plugs and still hear the system. I recently did the above with Sony headphones for an extra helmet and got good results. I've semi-permanently installed both the StarCom speakers and "custom" Sony speakers simply removing the chin-foam and liner. I know you've said

foam plugs are not an option.
Have you tried swimmer's wax? Moldable & sizable & inexpensive. Not as effective as the foam, but does offer noticeable protection.

Radman,I'm happy with the sound from my Softline headset. They also sell helmet speakers only just for MP3 or radio setups such as yours.

phone 800-381-8874

dobias <_<

PS: I don't think you'll get much reception with your radio & it's headset antenna. BTDT with personal radios & car radios with FM antennas. I gave up & went to Sirius.
Actually, this little Sangean does pretty good for what it is. I pick up TC area stations to about 40-50 miles outside of the area, some more, some less-which fulfills what I need, at least for now. TDub-I have a set of those, I just don't know how well they'll do if they aren't right up against my ears-hence my curiosity about alternatives. I do know I really, really like this helmet-most comfortable one I can remember, and for a 3/4, pretty quiet. The way they keep it quiet though, is to fill the space between head and helmet at the front completely-it's a tight fit, nice once on but kinda tight on the noggin install. ;)

Radman, for shame! Buying into the off the shelf crowd! Pshaw! Actually, your radio has a 3.5 mm jack, right? Go buy a head phone set with thin speakers. Remove the head hoop and velcro the speakers in place. Voilà, Radears! This works well as I've done this with a cheap pair of American Airlines $2.00 'phones.
I just tried a pair of Koss KSC 75 headphones and adapted them in this manner. With my foam earplugs in I had to turn up the volume to max to hear the music at 65mph. And the music was distorted at this volume. Any ideas, anyone?

I just tried a pair of Koss KSC 75 headphones and adapted them in this manner. With my foam earplugs in I had to turn up the volume to max to hear the music at 65mph. And the music was distorted at this volume. Any ideas, anyone?
The good ones need power. These little radios of which we write, ain't got the umph to push better 'phones. My two dollar cheapies worked well with my Zen player, even at ultra, hyperspace speeds!

You guys are gonna put your eye out!...oh I mean ear :bigeyes:

Thought all concrete cowboys wore earplugs?

At 70mph with a full face helmet, approx. 115 db(depending on windshield position, or lack thereof). This causes hearing damage after 15 minutes! :dribble: I love my tunes, but wasn't getting the "sound" I wanted with my foam earplugs and helmet speakers. Solution...ER-6 ear bud speakers(more like ear canal. ) Rubber "plugs" reduce ambient noise 20-25 db which gets it down in the safe range, allowing lower volume on the tunes. Specifically designed with mp3 in mind....and they sound great! About $135.00 @ riderwearhouse.

I get lots of looks when "banging my head" on the slab to a little Crue or Sabbath :p