Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJBFJR

Reaction score
Advice on helmets … I’m interested in two different modular helmets. The Nolan N102 and the AGV Miglia. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two helmets? The Miglia is $100 cheaper than the Nolan and was curious if others that have purchased the Miglia have been happy with it. I have not been able to locate a dealer that stocks the Miglia but have tried the Nolan and like it.

My wife and I both have the Nolan flips. Older one Model N100? I think. The new 102 has a built in rear spoiler, the sun shade and I think a new one hand release, other than that it's the same. At any rate, We love them.

Decent ventilation, just decent.

Never noticed it being any noisier than other helmets I've owned. Not objectionable to me at least.

I had another flip up helmet before that (don't remember the brand) I still smoked when I bought the Nolans which was the "must have" reason for the flip up front. I shopped around several brands of flip face helmets at the time and really liked one specific feature about the Nolan that I didn't find anywhere else. All the others, including the one I had before flipped up using a single pin hinge point where the Nolan flips up using a gear and roller mechanism. Long story short, the benefit I noticed with that is that others would flip up and remain very high and stick up catching all sorts of wind and blow your head back at any speed above 50 or so with the chin bar up and the windsheild on the FJR down. The Nolan's flip action flips up, but then drops down close to the top of the helmet catching less wind. Sometimes it's nice cruising around with the top up and with the Nolan I can do that comfortably at highway speeds without the helmet catching all sorts of wind and pulling my head back.

Hope this makes sense, and hope this helps. I really like the Nolan lids and in fact, considered upgrading to the 102. Just need to convince myself that I need a new helmet....and that I need to spend $200 plus

Just got the N102, Really nice with a lot of features. I looked at them all and this fit me best with the most features for the price. I paid $229 delivered free from the Helmet Shop. Way quieter than my HJC flip and better quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call or email Gary McCoy at University Motors and ask him if he carries them. Guarantee if he's got them, you'll be hard pressed to beat the price.

I retired my Symax flip front. Now wear a Scorpion full face. Finally figured that the flip wasn't all that convenient for me. Also, the Scorpion is SO much lighter and aerodynamic. Fairly well vented, too, and a TON quieter. Bet the Symax wasn't in the same league as the helmets you mentioned, though.

https://www.helmetshop.com/ No one came within $30 of this helmet. I search extensively. They also ship UPS ground free or you can upgrade shipment at a reduced cost. This is the third helmet from them. They have had all my helmets in stock and ship same day if you order early enough. No problems whatsoever. 1-800-630-6434

Don't know what other helmets use for face shield material, but Nolan uses Lexan, and it is very scratch resistant. Four years on mine and just like new, I don't hesitate to wash bugs off with gas station paper towels.

Sjbfjr,

They're both made of composite fiber and both brands are pretty respectable.

You want to try them on before you decide. I had the hots for the Nolan one but when I tried it on it hurt like hell...

I'm condemned ;) to wearing the more expensive Shoei. Whatever helmet Shoei makes, it fits me like a glove.

My point is, don't fall in love with a helmet before you slip it on.. :D

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
can you remove the sun shield/visor thingee on the new 102? I have wondered this because I have considered this new helmet but I have alternative visor plans if I were to buy it, the sun shield that comes on the helmet will have to go.

Yes the tinted visor comes off and Nolan sends two caps to replace where it disconnects. I really like this helmet. I have an old Arai which is my most comfortable but I hate the shield doesn't lock in place. I have a Shoei TZ1 which is quiet and the face shield does lock in place. I also have a HJC flip which I dislike for balance and noise.

To modular or not to modular . . . that is my question.

Ok I have a full face. I have an open face. I have put on a modular but never really used one. Having the option to be at full face mode and then being able to flip it up without taking it off seems like too cool of a feature. But what about the integrity of the helmet with that feature?!? Is it true they are that much heavier? I am ok with a little heavier. A few ounces here and there never bothered me before. I am pleased with the idea of a flip up/down sun visor.

I think I want a modular and I would love your opinions. Likes, dislikes etc.

I just bought today a new Nolan N102, ordered if from extremesupply.com. I'm hoping it will be as good and comfortable as I have read. No one, absolutely nobody over here in MS stocks this helmet and while in B'ham last weekend I tried to find someone that had them in stock and could not find anyone there either. So, I just bought on a wing and a prayer hoping it is as good as the write up's have been and that it is a accurate fit. Silver of course, though they do offer it in the slower blue. ;)

clicky

I have used a few modular helmets -

Shoei Duotec - Syncrotec, HJC Symax - Schuberth (whatever it is called) and Nolan

My favorite was the old Duotec - but the quit making them and upgraded to Syncrotec. A little pricier, but much quieter, fit well - nice helmet

Schuberth -- can't really wear them as to get them to fit over my ears I have to get like XXL and the rest of the helmet doesn't fit - something about the height of the ear wells. also a bit more difficult to install earphones and mic (IMO)

Nolan - like the helmet but always found the chin to be too close for comfort. I like a little space (and room for a microphone) and the Nolan was just too tight.

HJC - fits well - cheaper - noisier - and I HATE the visor - it just wont stay up where I want it. New ones wear out quickly and the mirrored shield does not take kindly to cleaning. HJC is very easy to install earphones and mic.

All of these were XL helmets (except Schuberth). I also tried one offered by Bombardier - for snowmobiling (don't remember the name) - it was the first I saw with the built in sun shade that flipped up inside the shield. Nice breath guard - but didn't seem to fit me all that well and was way hot. Thought the ventilation sucked -

though I can't say ventilation has been good in any of them - though the Syncrotec wasn't bad.

My current HJC needs to be replaced. I have been looking at another brand KBC???? not sure if that is right, but it looks kind of cheaply built. Not sure of anything about it.

I'll either purchase another Syncrotec or continue with HJC

I know buying a helmet, that you've never tried on before, on the internet prolly aint the smartest thing to do. I'll prolly miss by a mile and end up exchanging for either another size or another brand. My second choice will prolly be the symax if the Nolan does not work out. The good thing about that option is we have a local HJC dealer and I can try on the symax and be certain of the size if I have to change out. Extremesupply will allow exchanges at no cost or penalty, so that's why I chose to buy from them. If it all goes to sh*t, I can post it here and try to get something for it.

Welp, a stroke of good luck for a change. I called extreme supply late yesterday, where's my helmet? it's been a week! give me a tracking #, was put on hold, guy came back and said the credit card did not go through--an error on the experation date, they sent it through w/a exp date of 06 of 2012, ha!! that was a error on their part. So, I canceled the order and went to helmetshop.com, and saved 40.00. My new N102 will ship today. :yahoo:

I keep thinking my next helmet should be a modular but I keep buying regular full-faces. I try 'em on and play with 'em and end up at the conclusion that the benefit is too small for my percieved downsides (weight, safety, noise, fit, price). The Nolan 102 is a very attractive package and I still like the idea but I just bought a KBC Force RR for half the price of my falling-apart Arai Quantum. Oh well, maybe next time.

Got my Nolan N102 last Friday. Crossed fingers and toes, slipped it on and it was a perfect fit. Took it for a ride Sunday morning about 6:30 a.m. and it was absolutely great. I rate it A-1 for the $ (230.00). Very quiet for a modular, good vision and good ventilation, the adjustable sun visor works great. A bee got stuck up there in that area between the sunvisor and the clear shield this morning on the way to work I did not know it until I got to work, bout the time I got parked--he fell out dead onto the gastank, a kamikazee bee--hmmm, interesting. I like the little clicky chin strap--unlatches like a seat belt. If you are in the market for a modular--this is a good one--it fits oval/round heads the best. It's a keeper for me!