Helmets with integral sun visors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Scorpion EXO-900, earlier had Nolan 102, Symax II. The EXO is better made, IMHO. When they figure out how not to have them vibrate/buzz and put diopters in for those who need reading glasses, I might use it. Didn't know they were polarized, and that might cause issues with GPS screens. Mostly I don't like plastic lenses and much prefer my Serengeti driving lenses. I have a Sun Blocker die cut strip on the top of my visor, but I mostly have it cracked open two or three notches.
My Exo-1000 doesn't buzz or vibrate. I wish it would vibrate. :eek:

I have a Scorpion EXO-900, earlier had Nolan 102, Symax II. The EXO is better made, IMHO. When they figure out how not to have them vibrate/buzz and put diopters in for those who need reading glasses, I might use it. Didn't know they were polarized, and that might cause issues with GPS screens. Mostly I don't like plastic lenses and much prefer my Serengeti driving lenses. I have a Sun Blocker die cut strip on the top of my visor, but I mostly have it cracked open two or three notches.
My Exo-1000 doesn't buzz or vibrate. I wish it would vibrate. :eek:
I hear ya!! Should clarify. The external visor on the Nolan 102 buzzed all the time, as did the Symax II internal, especially with visor open and sunshade up. Since I never used either, I just removed them to get rid of the vibes. The EXO-900 is much better built, no vibes. Rifle windshield will cure all...

I had the EXO-900 but it turned out to be the wrong shape for me, gave me a headache from the pressure on my forehead after a while. I thought the sun visor was just marginal. After a while it began to show scratches just from normal cleaning; must have been a very soft plastic. Annoying in the sun and I'm not sure if it's replaceable or not. I'm happy just having a pair of sunglasses on hand if I need them.

As for the "poor man's alternative," I sometimes use the poor and CHEAP man's alternative. Blue painters' tape along the top edge of the shield. I like being able to just lower my head a bit and shade my eyes when the sun's low. Even with good sunglasses, I prefer to block the sun completely, rather than just shade it a little. The painters' tape never leaves residue and stays sticky when pulled of so you can reposition it a couple of times if you want to raise your visor a bit in the heat, when it would be too high. You can also just pull it off and toss it since it's virtually free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of a sun visor, would it be better just to have a smoked or darkened shield and/or painter's tape?

'Can anyone advise me how many of the helmet manfacturers are now doing intergral sun visors...
I have the Shark S900 which has a pretty slick, easy to use internal sun visor. Great for those days when the sun is 'hit and miss.' It could go a little lower and a bit darker, but still usefull. Shark review

It's a great overall helmet.

'Can anyone advise me how many of the helmet manfacturers are now doing intergral sun visors...
I have the Shark S900 which has a pretty slick, easy to use internal sun visor. Great for those days when the sun is 'hit and miss.' It could go a little lower and a bit darker, but still usefull. Shark review

I picked up Nolan's new N90 this past weekend and have used it on my commutes to work. This is their new flip up and it got rave reviews from Web Bike World. This is the first helmet I have used that has an internal sun shade and in two days, I have fallen in love with it. My eyes are fairly sensitive to light, so I almost always wore sunglasses or used a dark tinted visor up until now. This sun shade comes down a bit further than most (think manufacturers are finally getting the msg.) These are available online and just starting to show up in local dealerships. Take a look. For a price of around $260...it can't be beat.

Oh...did I mention that it comes with a pinlock insert? I have tried breathing as heavy as I could on a cold morning and the thing just won't fog!!

I have the HJC IS Max which I really like. The sun visor (smoke) that comes standard is not that great but you can purchase a Dark smoke visor which does work very well. I am also looking to purchase either the Evoline 2 helmet with the chin bracket that actually locks in the back of the helmet or the Scorpion Transformer helmet. Leaning toward the Evoline which gives you a 3/4 helmet without having to completely remove the chin guard.

Guys

Thanks for your many interesting comments.Currently i use a HJC helmet and find this is a great fitting helmet for my head. I have not tried on many other brands but everyone i talk to says certain brands of helmets suit a certain style of head.In other words.... the shoei style of lid may not suit me at all. First question then to those of us that wear HJC lids is what other helmet should i be looking at trying???. Secondly, i tried the HJC IS16 with the intergral visor and like many other postings i have read,the sun visor was to light for me having sensitive eyes.Which other manufacturers have interchangable sunvisors.

Gary

Scorpion EXO-1000 here; glasses fit under it and the lever can be activated even with gloved hands. So far, looking good.

I just ordered 2 SYMaxII HJC helmets from Mew Enough, and tried to order the dark smoke internal visor, but ther're out of stock. :angry2:

On my Symax II I used a permanent marker to darken the top inch or so of the integral visor. It helps a lot.

As for the "poor man's alternative," I sometimes use the poor and CHEAP man's alternative. Blue painters' tape along the top edge of the shield. I like being able to just lower my head a bit and shade my eyes when the sun's low. Even with good sunglasses, I prefer to block the sun completely, rather than just shade it a little. The painters' tape never leaves residue and stays sticky when pulled of so you can reposition it a couple of times if you want to raise your visor a bit in the heat, when it would be too high. You can also just pull it off and toss it since it's virtually free.
I suppose blue tape matches your bike, but it would look really tacky on my helmet and clash with my black cherry FJR. :dribble: So for the more fashion conscious FJR riders, I offer the suggestion of "electrical tape." Black goes with everything and it's also easily removable. And it's hardly noticeable when installed. :yahoo:

Instead of a sun visor, would it be better just to have a smoked or darkened shield and/or painter's tape?
The problem with tinted shields (or mirrored) is you can get a reflection inside, so you are looking at yourself... of course it would depend on the helmet and angle of the shield relative to your face. If you crack the shield to change the angle, can be OK. My less than optimal experience was with the Symax II.... anyone need some tinted shields, gold or iridium?

The problem with tinted shields (or mirrored) is you can get a reflection inside, so you are looking at yourself... My less than optimal experience was with the Symax II.... anyone need some tinted shields, gold or iridium?
This smells like a setup, 'cept I can't help myself.

Well if I had you looking back at me I'd ditch the shields too!

I have a SHARK EVOLINE series 2. This is my first modular helmet, so I have nothing to compare

it to. I love it for LD rides! The built in sun shade alows me to keep rolling through sunrise and

sunset without sun glasses. In direct light I double up glasses with the shade for max. protection.

The 3/4 position lets me eat on the go. My only complaint would be the sore forehead from

extended multi day use. I am not sure if this is caused by the "Torque" put on the forehead from

the balance of the helmet switching to the rear ... or I just bought the size too small cause it fit

good in the store???

Internal sunshades are great for transitional times of day/night, when you don't want to stop.

The problem with tinted shields (or mirrored) is you can get a reflection inside, so you are looking at yourself... My less than optimal experience was with the Symax II.... anyone need some tinted shields, gold or iridium?
This smells like a setup, 'cept I can't help myself.

Well if I had you looking back at me I'd ditch the shields too!
My mother was a platypus, my father was an octopus, and that's why I'm an uglypuss.... luckily my image isn't etched into those shields..... but how do you think I feel every morning when I have to sneak up on the mirror so it doesn't run away!!! :scare:

That's my son's helmet. I mean that very one. He loves the thing.

To me, it works OK, but like all of the internal visor helmets, the shading is not really that dark and the visor doesn't come all the way down. I understand that each of these issues have to do with the Euro requirements.