Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised to not see many HJC helmets listed. They're popular.

I've worn mostly HJC helmets for well over a decade. They've always fit my head well and I have never had any significant problems with any of them.

I also have a Scorpion but I don't wear it much because my lips and chin get sunburned through the visor.

With my HJC visors I have never have a sunburn problem. The HJC visors block UV.

Shark Evoline Helmet I am on my 3rd one (Series 3) and I will upgrade to the carbon model when they are released.

Only complaint: heavy The carbon model will be 161 grams lighter!

Silver, white w/stripes series 2's

black with hi-vis series 3

New one will be white or hi-vis/ carbon

helmet EVOLINE PRO CARBON Mat Carbon Black Silver Evoline Pro Carbon SHARK Discovery Division SHARK-HELMETS - UNITED STATES UNITED STATES - English
+1 on the Evoline. Have had them for years. Now on version three. Use it as a weekend short distance helmet. Extremely comfortable. Great convertibility. BUT quite loud. Use a Schuberth C3 with BMW comm system and Bluetooth for long distance, trips, etc. very comfortable, very quiet! Extremely good quality and extremely expensive with the comm system. Around $1300 with tax in CA.

The bell vortex revolver is a bit snug. Used for the first time today. Will have to break in. On a side note, I'm liking my Shure monitors (recommended by Twig) so well I took them with me during a event flight. Blocks ambient noise as well as food foam plugs but allows great audio from iPhone at the same time.

Some folk reject them when they can't get the stock foam tips to work. They didn't work for me either.

What did work were the Professional range of tips from Comply Foam.

I'm also an HJC guy. Regardless of price the HJC just fits me better than the rest. I have 2 (I can't quote the model #'s right off) that I use- a modular for the heat of our southeast summers and a FF for the cooler spring and autumn temps.

Schuberth C3 with Pinlock. Does everything, feels great, even after big mile days!

There are many features of my Schuberth C3 that make it worth the money for me. The internal visor is smoothly adjustable and can be partially closed (like a visor in the car). It is quiet, relatively. It is light compared to most. I can wear it all day, multi-day. The two issues that I had have been upgraded in the latest version (Pro) I understand. The forehead padding was lumpy and the chin-strap was too close to the throat. I'll buy again especially with those two issues solved. I have the build-in Cardo/bluetooth collar and the range sucks. I understand the new version has a bluetooth antenna built into the helmet to improve that issue. I also haven't like how the Cardo intercom function works though. I think I'd try Sena next time.

There are many features of my Schuberth C3 that make it worth the money for me. The internal visor is smoothly adjustable and can be partially closed (like a visor in the car). It is quiet, relatively. It is light compared to most. I can wear it all day, multi-day. The two issues that I had have been upgraded in the latest version (Pro) I understand. The forehead padding was lumpy and the chin-strap was too close to the throat. I'll buy again especially with those two issues solved. I have the build-in Cardo/bluetooth collar and the range sucks. I understand the new version has a bluetooth antenna built into the helmet to improve that issue. I also haven't like how the Cardo intercom function works though. I think I'd try Sena next time.
bluetooth by definition is short range. This is not a RF radio. Bike to bike does not really work unless you are within 10 to 20 feet of the other bike and then you need to be previously paired. Bluetooth is to get the info around your bike. Nav to helmet, telephone to helmet, pillion to driver, etc.

bluetooth by definition is short range. This is not a RF radio. Bike to bike does not really work unless you are within 10 to 20 feet of the other bike and then you need to be previously paired. Bluetooth is to get the info around your bike. Nav to helmet, telephone to helmet, pillion to driver, etc.
I have to disagree with you somewhat, Wemi. While I agree that BT is a relatively short-range thing, I've had decent success with bike-to-bike communication with up to about a Km of separation (a little more than 1/2 mile). Not perfect, but certainly workable if you stay in formation.

Rode in the rain two days, first two days using the Bell Revolver. My other face shields (Shoei, Nolans) don't hold raindrops and road film. The shield on the Bell got gooked up inside and out and required cleaning, not just a glove finger, otherwise the whole world looked like the shield was smeared with vaseline. Maybe something from manufacturer. Will see if wash and wax helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ts3doug" data-cid="1196561" data-time="1417645679"><p>

Shoei gt-air. fits better than my x-11 due to the more snug fit(I was a bit between sizes on the x11)</p></blockquote>

+1 GT Air Wanderer in white is my current (and favorite). I do have a red and white X-11 that's a little big that I'll wear with a balaclava when it gets cold.

I have decided that although my Lazer Monaco helmet is a fine flip up, I just prefer a solid full face. So, I found what I consider to be a great deal at Revzilla, a Lazer Kestrel Carbon for $199 (includes pinlock insert), plus the photochromic shield for $87. The only downside is there is apparently no ear relief for speakers.
Just following up to give my riding impressions on the Lazer Kestrel Carbon. The helmet is beautifully shaped and finished, showcasing the carbon fiber (sorry, I don't mess with pics much, but you can always go to the Lazer website). The fit is just right for me. My Lazer Monaco fit a bit tight in the cheeks. The Lazer Kestrel fits uniformly snug and comfy for me. The ventilation is acceptable, though the top vent levers are not so glove friendly. The optional photochromic shield and pinlock insert will spoil you fast. If you want to install speakers, you will have to cut the EPS liner yourself. The wind noise can be punishing. I try to always remember earplugs. Overall I am happy with it, especially for the price I paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Nolan N90 (flip up) for the last three years and I still like it a lot. I like HJC but just didn't like their flip up enough so went with Nolan and I think it was a good decision. My wife switched from an HJC full face on our Montana trip last summer to a Nolan N91 and she loves it too.

Shoei Neotec in the black/hi-viz pattern. I've had it about 2 months and really like it so far. My last few have been modulars and my next few will be also. I really like the flip front.

I have used GMAX -

Good function, decent on wind noise, works well with my scala riderQ2 speaker system, love the flashy rear light and oh yea...Personally Crash Tested on on the freeway.

Went out and bought another one in white w/black trim. It's one of the few that come in 3XL and fits comfortably. Several long distance rides and it stays comfy, decent in the rain too.

I really like the flashy light on the rear; helps to be seen at night.

RF1100 currently. Great helmet and pretty quiet.

That said...

I have a white Neotec coming to me, and a new Sena baseplate (the one with detachable mic & boom), on a UPS truck tomorrow. Never had a white helmet before...gonna need some stickers...perhaps an FYB one. :D

Mikaljames said:
Just bought a shoei gt air. Read one complaint that it fogs easily. Mellon, mine does too! Ventilation is great, best I've ever had, but that visor likes to fog. I'm talking temps in the 50s, even lose to 60

Did you install pin lock that came with it?

Mine fogs too, but only when it's below 50 and only when stopped.

The area covered by pin lock never fogs, even below freezing temps.

Same here... +1 on the Gt Air. One of the best helmet i ever had. I installed the pin lock and it never fogs, however had to take it bc we know what happen with pin locks and night driving.