Help !! AE or A??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hevnbound

Reaction score
Local dealer has located an '06 AE ($13,690) and a '06 A ($12,068). Both prices don't include: Taxes, Tag and Doc fee ($149). I think (?) both prices are fair deals. What do you think? I have no problem paying a few $$$ more to deal with the local dealer. HOWEVER, the big problem is trying fo decide on WHICH ONE?

Am I correct when I say the differences between the AE and the A is: Elec. shift and Heated grips on the AE? Any other differences. Seems like a lot of money for only those two items?

I would really like helpful comments from owners of both types.

* I test rode a friends AE this weekend and it was great - but, will I miss the advantages of one with a clutch when the uniqueness wears off?

* Am I right to be concerned with the potential expense for repairs on the AE when the warranty runs out?

I'm selling my '04 ST1300 and '04 VFR to buy the FJR. I want to get back to one bike. Please help me decide on which FJR? ... I've decided that the FJR comes close to being the best bike in between the ST and the VFR.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining in with ya'll on this board.

Sam

North Carolina

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the A and save some bucks for the inevitable farkling to follow. Prices seem okay to me, but I'm in Cali, where a jar of Vaseline is included with every sale...

Think of the FJR as a slightly bigger and more powerful VFR. You're gonna be happy.

Sam,

Prices look good. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find a new 06...... so with that in mind I think thoses prices are very good. I also wanted to be as close to a dealership as possible. Where in NC are you? I live in New Bern and bought my 06 A from the dealer in Garner close to Raleigh.

Rick Davis

Local dealer has located an '06 AE ($13,690) and a '06 A ($12,068). Both prices don't include: Taxes, Tag and Doc fee ($149). I think (?) both prices are fair deals. What do you think? I have no problem paying a few $$$ more to deal with the local dealer. HOWEVER, the big problem is trying fo decide on WHICH ONE?
Am I correct when I say the differences between the AE and the A is: Elec. shift and Heated grips on the AE? Any other differences. Seems like a lot of money for only those two items?

* I test rode a friends AE this weekend and it was great - but, will I miss the advantages of one with a clutch when the uniqueness wears off?

* Am I right to be concerned with the potential expense for repairs on the AE when the warranty runs out?

I'm selling my '04 ST1300 and '04 VFR to buy the FJR. I want to get back to one bike. Please help me decide on which FJR? ... I've decided that the FJR comes close to being the best bike in between the ST and the VFR.

Sam

North Carolina
ae++++++++#

Sam,
Prices look good. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find a new 06...... so with that in mind I think thoses prices are very good. I also wanted to be as close to a dealership as possible. Where in NC are you? I live in New Bern and bought my 06 A from the dealer in Garner close to Raleigh.

Rick Davis
Statesville (north of Charlotte). Did you consider the AE? What were you riding before the FJR? How do you like it? ....................... Sorry for all the questions. Still trying to decide between the A or the AE???

Sam

Did not really consider the AE. Not that far along in my riding (2 years & 25,000 miles) so I'm not interested in electric shift "yet". Was previously riding a Suzuki SV650 then a HD Super Glide. I totally love the FJR and would not even consider going back to the other bikes.

Rick

The best thing about the AE is the color IMHO. Not worth the extra in my books though, unless you just love Cerulean Silver.

I have not resolved all my mental issues with riding habits versus AE. I gave serious consideration to becoming a "waiter" for an 06-AE, rather than purchasing a used 05-A. Glad I did not wait.

Nothing wrong with the AE. Ask Triple-Tango (TTT) about his. IMHO there are still some things to be learned about the very unique AE. So my jury is still out.

If you have been riding a few years (or much, much longer as I have), you may too do things that are not AE compatible.

The best thing about the AE is the color IMHO. Not worth the extra in my books though, unless you just love Cerulean Silver.

I was the same way, I loved the color of the AE , but just couldn't consider it because of the "No Clutch" factor. I suppose you get used to it really quick, and from what I read in all the reviews, people really like it, but it just wasn't for me. I went with the A, and it's color has grown on me.

I have and 06A and love it. I would not buy AE just like I will not buy cage with auto transmission. I enjoy the control shifting gives me. Save the money plus it is new technology. Wait a few years to see that any bugs get ironed out.

I have the AE and love it. I personally would not have bought an A model (just to be in direct conflict with those A owners that say the opposite :p )

for ME with a sport-tourer -- any benefit a manual clutch might have is outweighed by the convenience of click-shifting. If I wanted an all-out sport bike -- the FJR would not be my choice (nor would an automatic on a cager)

for ME the convenience of click-shift is excellent, and does not take away from any performance for this class of motorcycle. (just like it is possible for ABS to be out-performed on the track with a professional rider and non-ABS -- the convenience of ABS on a sport-tourer outweighs any possible performance increase in not having it.

for ME I doubt any 'uniqueness' will wear off -- as the clutch lever will never mystically apear.

You'll have to decide what is important to you -- and good luck -- either will be a great sport-tourer!

Sam

North Carolina
Sam,

Since you are A SERIOUS buyer, ask the dealer if you can test ride both! I honestly believe if you are open-minded about the AE and give it a try, you will BUY it!

Since I have had the AE, it is hard thinking about even going back to a bike with a clutch (and I have a GL1800 parked now in the garage)!

Best Regards,

Shane

Like anything it won't be for everyone, but unless you have actually ridden one I wouldn't be to quick to compare it to an Automatic transmission car, or worry about any loss of control in shifting. I've been riding for 40 years, and all I found was that I developed a new skill set to deal with the differences. Nothing more, nothing less. Take one for a run through your favorite set of twisties. If it's still not for you, fine. But from what I've read for more people than not, including myself, riding one is to believe.

Tell the guy you'll take the AE, if he gives you full credit on an A if you decide electro-clutch isn't for you. Or just buy the one you think is the best looking.

Toe?.....what are you smoking/....buy the best looking? :huh: .....time to share dude....
I'm not, and that may be at the root of the problem.
So you liked the first part of my suggestion?

Where's that confounded bong?

I only spent a few miles on the AE - I liked it. I would liked to have experimented with the shifting more. I can see that it will definitely appear on more bikes in the future. It only took a few minutes to get used to it - more to get used to not seeing a reservoir on the left, though I've had bikes without hydraulic clutches before.

Like I said - I liked it. Now that i've said that.... I've also promised myself that I would never buy another 1st year prototype bike again. Too many teething problems. I've done it on 3 of the last 4 bikes I've purchased. Even though the '06A is a makeover - I don't consider it made over enough to count.

I think I would probably take the Blue A bike. Obviously, the faster color and it will leave you sufficient funds to start a'farlking. If you aren't a farlker.... then you will have about 25,000 miles in gas covered with the savings.

Just over 3 months and 9500 miles later so far so good, no problems. Hell by time I had 7,000 miles on both my other FJR's they both ticked. I feel like I'm ahead of the game this time. Buying the early production years of a new model can be a bit riskier I guess, but if you wait more than 2 or 3 years, it changes again, and you have the 1st model year all over again. Technology has come a long ways in the last 20 years. Time from inception to production is a fraction of what it used to be, and with it, the initial reliability is way up too. In the car business major changes happen much more often that in the bike industry, and yet over the last two years, our warranty claims are just about half of what they used to be. Buy the model you want, get the extended warranty, and enjoy yourself.

The AE model it is! Thank you all for excellent advice. Based on the color, I like the "BLUE". However, my ST1300 is Blue and my VTX1800 before that was blue - time for a change and the silver does look classy.

I failed to mention that I was able to ride an AE model this past Saturday in West Virginia for about 30 miles. It was awesome! Being "old fashioned", I wasn't going to even consider the "sissy" electric shift - but - it adds a new element to the enjoyment of motorcycling.

Looks like this is going to be an excellent forum, also. Again, thanks all for the responses.

Sam

P.S. How much $$$ can I expect to pay for the extended warranty?