HELP!!! I think I am going to Kill myself

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have to question the herky-jerky part of your original post. You have made it clear that you have an AE, but other than flicking you finger to shift, it is as easy to ride as a scooter. I was smooth on take offs as soon as I got on it so I can't figure out what your problems are unless the bike is not working properly. It isn't that hard to take off on the AE, just twist the throttle and go. Time for a trip to the dealer.

That original post is scary on so many levels, it leaves me speechless. :unsure:
Jay

'04 FJR 1300

not to get side tracked here, but speaking of scary...............where is your helmet?!

It's a "Stealth" helmet, same one I been a wearin' since 'bout '75. Hundreds of thousands miles and many bikes later, it still fits!! Amazing technology ;)

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Folks, this guy is in Manassas and I know that we have other members in the area.

How about somebody taking the guy out for an afternoon or evening?

hummm,, scary post but ain't that FJR AE suppose to go when you give some juice? if yes why is it jerking like he says? It's good to be scared a bit of that 145 H.P. but my friend i can almost see you on your bike and it scares the heck out of me.

hummm,, scary post but ain't that FJR AE suppose to go when you give some juice? if yes why is it jerking like he says? It's good to be scared a bit of that 145 H.P. but my friend i can almost see you on your bike and it scares the heck out of me.
I was making a right from a 1.5 lane road to a 2 lane road. The transition between the 2 roads are not level. I have to go up a bit and the 2 lane road is in a curve and banked such that then I need to go downhill just a little (kinda hard to explain).

Please note that all of my other "starts" have been as other have described.

Yet this time, I guess I rolled on too much or too fast, and then I rolled off too much, and then to compensate I rolled on too much. Perhaps we can call it an inexperienced start. Kinda like letting the clutch out too fast without stalling and then pulling the clutch back in and restarting the process which I was too inexperienced to do on the AE. As many have noted, I need more time in the parking lot (empty with the ambulance on standby).

The second herky jerky was in a left hand turn lane waiting for approaching cars to pass the intersection before I could safely take a left. Normally, I would stay in second, pull in the clutch, ride the rear brake if needed to adjust speed for timing and then just go when the cars passed.

However, I got no clutch and I was having a hard time maintaining a constant low speed. I rolled off (oops too much) and then back on (opps too much) and then off (opps to much). Obviously I had too much to think about. And in addition, I was spooked from earlier and now I was downright paranoid. I could only concentrate on my right hand.

I was able to ride the bike once moving and enjoyed some twisties (a few miles). I did a U-Turn from a two lane road onto a road that came from a subdivision on the left side of the road and I made as broad of turn as possible without any problems. I then took the right back down the same way I came. I took a right at the stop sign where I had my second herky jerky. Made it to forth gear with reasonably smooth shifting.

I made the left back onto the 1.5 lane road at the scene of my first herky jerky (no cars coming so that was easy), a left onto a nice gravel road for 50 yards and then a left onto my paved (someone asked about that) driveway.

Riding the bike - piece of cake. Starting the bike going straight - piece of cake. Starting the bike making a left or a right - needs practice. Low speed manuevering - needs practice and probably spellcheck. Pushing the bike around - need longer boots, more change in my pocket, weights in the luggage bins or the Kouba link installed.

I really don't care about the 145 hp. I just won't twist the throttle that much. But it sure is sensitive at low throttle ranges.

Hopefully that answers the questions about herky jerky.

Art

Hell, Art. Ride the bastard. You'll either crash or master it, or both.

By eight, my cousin, Ricky Joe, and I were riding these old Harleys, sitting in the barn. Richard and Jerry - my Mother's grown cousins - dragged the things in, to rip and roar up and down the potato fields with. (To this day, I think of Harley's as 'potato bikes'). Together, Ricky and I learned how to start the things; whichever one might start, that is. It took us both to kick one alive - they 'kick' back, you know. It took us both to ride one, too.

The V-Strom 650 or the FZ6 probably would have been a better idea. You can find used ones for reasonable prices, if you choose to practice up on something intermediate. You've got the FJR, however. Continuing with it might not be the wise thing to do, but if 8-year-olds can teach themselves to ride a Harley, you can probably master an FJR.

Art,

Not gonna bash on you but you need a different bike. From what you've described, the FJR is too big/potent and dangerous for your(described) level of experience. I have seen too many horrible riders with thousands upon thousands miles(and years) on motorcycles and they cannot ride at all. These type of riders cannot recognize the difference between a single, double and/or triple apex more less negotiate it safely slowly or at speed. Also, these types have no idea of how to properly use the throttle, clutch and braking techniques(referred to as the gray area) for safe operations. I know, I know, the AE has no clutch lever BUT it still has a clutch and a rider needs to understand the gray area to be able to ride it without it stalling and falling to the ground and/or causing dangerous situations. I am not saying your a horrible rider BUT Art with all do respect, you need to get a lot more(correct)riding experience and a lot more correct training(from what you have described) and you won't find this on a internet forum. Don't worry about farkles on the FJR, repair it, sell it/trade it, for a bike that you can handle safely and operate it correctly.

Stay safe,

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading everything here it sounds like he still has both bikes but im not quite sure..I think if you follow most of those suggestions that you will get the hang of this bike in no time at all.

With that gravel driveway I think one of the best suggestions is haveing a friend ride the bike to the good practice spot. Not only will you avoid the gravel but you will have someone to help pick it up if it falls.

Watch that vidio of how to pick up the bike.

Lay it down on a soft thik blanket with your friends help and then pick it up.

Try that a few times.

A riding boot with a thick sole and decent size heal will help your confidence starting and stopping, its like lowering the bike another inch.

Double check the seat hight.

Leave off the saddle bags for weight, and even ride with a half tank of gas for the weight and possible tip over.

A couple of hours of doing this in a large parking lot will do wonders all around.

One more thing that wasnt mentioned is that when you get to that parking lot look it over real good for any broken pavement or sandy spots.

Good luck and I bet you keep that bike.

Vandy
I still have the Honda. Pic?

I like the FJR. I am not in love with it (yet). I like the Honda but I would like a newer bike that has a bit (just a wee bit) more power and reliability (not that it hasn't been reliable).

The reasons to keep it are because it is a nice bike and it can do all I want it to do and more. I won't need a cage to make a trip and I will have more fun and emit less carbon. In addition, a quick sell will result in a loss of pride and a hit to the wallet.

The reason to sell are because I took too big of a next step, the bike is tall and heavy and hard to maneuver at slow speeds (currently), it has more hp then I could every really want nor justify. Selling it now is better then selling it after a few more drops. Hell, I don't want to kill ME.

But, please note that my issues are at low speed. And I am far from a speed freak. Once the bike is rolling I am Ok.

Pride? Hell I wouldn't be writing you guys and gals if that was an issue. I think you can get a bucket of Pride on Amazon just by clicking on it. And I hear it is even cheaper on eBay. I can get some more if need be.

I paid cash for the bike. I got the title in hand. It is mine. I will drop it on the right side and even out the scratches if that is what it takes to get me more confident on the bike. It doesn't have anything to do with money. It is all about safety and fun. The goal was to buy a bike that could do all the things that the Honda could not. And I took a leap of faith. Everyone said I would get used to it. No one said that I wouldn't. I am Ok with dropping the bike in gravel or the parking lot. I just don't want to crash and slide nor put anyone else in danger.

I am taller then many (5'10" with 30" inseam and 30" waist) and I guess I am the lightest person in the world at 130 lbs. I can jump up and down on the seat of the bike and damned if I can feel the shock compress at all. And the seat is in the low position (quadruple checked) and Spencer modified my seat (lower and narrower). I am a short legged no ass guy. I accept it. I am the guy that can fit through tight spaces.

And any thought of increasing my weight thru more proteins or carbs or butter or bacon has been tried without success. And I am 50. In the 10th grade, 34 years ago, I wrestled 105 lbs. I had a hard time making the weight back then (keeping it up). Our 98 lb guy was really good so I got 105. You can do the math and the only way that I can increase my weight instantly is change in my pockets or a backpack full of gravel.

When I was 40 I took a leap of faith I bought 5 acres and then designed and built my house out of a bunch of wood and the help of some friends. How hard can it be? Wait for the book or the movie. I did it and I would never do it again (nor do I have to). There were no injuries to report in the whole process except for splinters from the OSB.

I really appreciate the honest feedback and input from you guys and gals.

And I have opened up lines of communications with a biker friend of mine called Skittle Boy (who actually has tatoo's and the ability to gain weight - not that he needs to) who just might let me off the hook.

If I haven't said it before, I am pretty sure (how is that for definate) that I can master the skills needed for the FJR AE. But in the end, will the weight of the bike and height of the bike keep me in perpetual doubt?

I will gladly accept any assistance from anyone out there in the area that can help.

Art

i tried this thing called a roadster and it is hot, good power handle pretty good and rides gravel and turns on a dime. Really Art continue practicing it's not a curse thats been put on you, practice and practice, if my wife can play golf u can ride this beast.

spyder bike

I went on my first official ride today (2007 FJR AE).
I rode about 1/4 mile when the bike was delivered in the rain. I drove the bike up and down our private road on Super Bowl Sunday and only dropped it once in the gravel.

Art, please, you sound like you expected to drop it more then once.... :dribble: My god, stay off the road man. I can respect that you at least see that there is a problem here. I suggest you do all of the throttle mods, G2 tube, Return Spring unwind, Adjust the Throttle cable tension to pick up the slack and Grip puppies. The puppies increase the diamater of the grip and help a little in controling the rate of twist. Throw some sliders on there as well, nobody needs them more then you. Then save yourself by placeing it in the want ads. It will stand out as having a few upgrades and might sell faster.....IM me when sold, I'm anxious to be able to go back out on the streets again.

My troll-o-meter is registering dangerously high.
Cut him some slack, he's legit (I've just shipped him some parts). I also know he's watched every video he can find on how to pick up a dropped bike. I'd never patched a tire before yesterday, although I felt confident I could do it when the time came. I've never HAD to pick up a bike by myself and hope I'll be able to do it when I need to, but maybe it just won't work. Maybe there will be (gravel, sand, oil, snot, blood, water, coolant) on the ground and my feet won't have purchase and I'll need somebody to help me.

He's humble enough to ask for some help and suggestions in some areas he's not comfortable with, such as slow-speed maneuvers with an electric shifter and no clutch. Frankly, I might have trouble with this myself if I hopped on an AE. It's not a whole lot different then some of the other questions I've seen asked by new folks. He's just trying to harness some of the collective wisdom of this forum, which, I believe, is why it's here.

Besides, I'll bet at least he can remember to fasten his chinstrap.

My troll-o-meter is registering dangerously high.
Cut him some slack, he's legit (I've just shipped him some parts). I also know he's watched every video he can find on how to pick up a dropped bike. I'd never patched a tire before yesterday, although I felt confident I could do it when the time came. I've never HAD to pick up a bike by myself and hope I'll be able to do it when I need to, but maybe it just won't work. Maybe there will be (gravel, sand, oil, snot, blood, water, coolant) on the ground and my feet won't have purchase and I'll need somebody to help me.

He's humble enough to ask for some help and suggestions in some areas he's not comfortable with, such as slow-speed maneuvers with an electric shifter and no clutch. Frankly, I might have trouble with this myself if I hopped on an AE. It's not a whole lot different then some of the other questions I've seen asked by new folks. He's just trying to harness some of the collective wisdom of this forum, which, I believe, is why it's here.

Besides, I'll bet at least he can remember to fasten his chinstrap.
OK, sorry. I'm such a cynical PITA.

It just smelled like fish.

I believe the jerkyness that he's referring to is the abruptness of the throttle response, not a hesitation. I experienced the same thing when I picked up mine in the fall. These things get on the gas a whole lot quicker than cruisers (especially small ones) and can be quite disconserting if you're not expecting it.

I found that using a cramp buster helped me immensely in controlling the amount of throttle.

It sounds like your biggest problem is confidence. Without it, you're literally waiting for something bad to happen. I dropped mine once and had to use my truck and couple ropes to get it back upright, good thing it happened in my driveway! My point is, even though I KNOW I might drop it or even wreck, I don't BELIEVE I will.

Get yourself out to that lot my friend! Leave at the crack of dawn when there's no traffic and get that confidence.

Oh, as has been suggested, check that seat height. At 5'10" you shouldn't have much problem with getting at least the whole ball of you're foot down.

Good luck!!! I'm really hoping it works out for you.

Art,

In case it hasen't been otherwise posed and so you'll understand, Yammi intentionally used a throttle cam that makes the bike feel even torquier than it already is by opening the throttle bodies quickly off idle. This became a problelm for many, given the variance in production tuning, when the also decided to meet '08 emission regs early in '06. Now you have an overlean condition that REALLY makes it responsive to the point of touchy. Throw in a marginally tuned unit and you have the potential for difficult low speed throttle control.

GET RID OF THAT CAM.

GET RID OF THE LEAN CONDITION.

Make sure the idle (FI, throttle bodies and clutch) setup is right. This means dealing with someone who knows AND cares. Not all dealers do or even CAN!

If you have a 30" inseam and handled a few seasons of 105 you can handle it. Easily and enjoyably. Two of the bike testers for the mags that reported on the FJR were your weight but SHORTER. The gravel is the ongoing issue. You are going to need much lower air pressues to help there. Might want to consider leaving it at a friends house till you're up to speed.

The point is you can turn your experience around with a little work and a few farkles. Kind of like a sitout and reversal! BTW who did you wrestle for? I did the 154 class for Annandale. Now I live in Florida. Small world

Keep us informed