Help! Stuck in CO with a flat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a rear tire in the vacinity of Colorado Springs tomorrow?

I thought my bike was riding a little funny when I was out in the boonies on the back side of Telluride. Thankfully I made it to Durango last night and got the last motel room within 60 miles.

This AM I go out to check the tire pressure. Only 17 pounds on the rear. Not good. Up on the center stand, out with my bottled water. Yep, one big hole and one tiny leak about 3 inches away from the big one. Wonder what I hit? Probably a nail or two at that mom and pop gas station in Cimarron, but heck it could have happened out near Placerville. Who knows.

Ah, my first chance to use GOOEY STRING! Get out the kit, go to work. After about 18 miles t went flat again and I I had to make the big D. O... Dangit. Luckily, that gas station I pulled into (Conoco) had kits on the shelf. 2nd time around, I glued it liberally and trimmed it as close to the rubber (what's left of it) as I could with my pen knife. They show a razor blade on the instructions, but don't provide one. I bought a second spare gooey string kit, too!

You know, I would have just stayed in Durango, but the big dealer there isn't open on Mondays. The little Yammy dealer looked like he wouldn't have any inventory. So I decided to brave the desolation and head back out into the wilderness. Since I was beyond the wear bars (didn't expect THAT to happen so fast! and the Storm was above the wear bars when I started out, thank you very much!) and had already failed the first gooey string test, I was pretty much on pins and needles the entire way heading back to "the Big City".

I passed a couple cycle shops (mostly ATV oriented) in the sticks (160) but none looked enticing enough and the areas weren't attractive enough to warrant staying until morning (or Tuesday). So I limped along doing the speed limit trying to take it as easy on that spent/damaged rubber as possible. After about 45 minutes, I started to build confidence. But every bump, every seam, every curve caused my sphincter to get very tense.

So here I sit at Holiday Inn Express in Colrado Springs. I haven't spent the night, so I don't feel any smarter. The gooey strings are leaking air, and the pressure is wilting away. I plan on exchanging the strings when it (and I) cools down a little. I figure I can go a little more distance to get a tire, but there's no way I want to risk that tire 1K home back to Indiana. Not that the strings might not hold (and they aren't holding completely), but the tread is toast and I'm afraid that if I go too far or too fast I could end up with some 23 pin holes way before the Aramid fibers are showing.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions about getting a tire in this vacinity?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there is a local FJR member in the area with an extra tires. If you were in my area I always have an extra set on hand. Also, do you have any roadside service plans? At the very least I would think they could bring you out a tire? You could try the Harley location just up the street. This Harley location is also oen on Mondays. These guys might be your best luck and they are not a Harley dealership.

TDS Tire Distribution Systems

2220 Rand Ave

Colorado Springs, CO 80906

(719) 632-4686

Anyone know where I can get a rear tire in the vacinity of Colorado Springs tomorrow?
I thought my bike was riding a little funny when I was out in the boonies on the back side of Telluride. Thankfully I made it to Durango last night and got the last motel room within 60 miles.

This AM I go out to check the tire pressure. Only 17 pounds on the rear. Not good. Up on the center stand, out with my bottled water. Yep, one big hole and one tiny leak about 3 inches away from the big one. Wonder what I hit? Probably a nail or two at that mom and pop gas station in Cimarron, but heck it could have happened out near Placerville. Who knows.

Ah, my first chance to use GOOEY STRING! Get out the kit, go to work. After about 18 miles t went flat again and I I had to make the big D. O... Dangit. Luckily, that gas station I pulled into (Conoco) had kits on the shelf. 2nd time around, I glued it liberally and trimmed it as close to the rubber (what's left of it) as I could with my pen knife. They show a razor blade on the instructions, but don't provide one. I bought a second spare gooey string kit, too!

You know, I would have just stayed in Durango, but the big dealer there isn't open on Mondays. The little Yammy dealer looked like he wouldn't have any inventory. So I decided to brave the desolation and head back out into the wilderness. Since I was beyond the wear bars (didn't expect THAT to happen so fast! and the Storm was above the wear bars when I started out, thank you very much!) and had already failed the first gooey string test, I was pretty much on pins and needles the entire way heading back to "the Big City".

I passed a couple cycle shops (mostly ATV oriented) in the sticks (160) but none looked enticing enough and the areas weren't attractive enough to warrant staying until morning (or Tuesday). So I limped along doing the speed limit trying to take it as easy on that spent/damaged rubber as possible. After about 45 minutes, I started to build confidence. But every bump, every seam, every curve caused my sphincter to get very tense.

So here I sit at Holiday Inn Express in Colrado Springs. I haven't spent the night, so I don't feel any smarter. The gooey strings are leaking air, and the pressure is wilting away. I plan on exchanging the strings when it (and I) cools down a little. I figure I can go a little more distance to get a tire, but there's no way I want to risk that tire 1K home back to Indiana. Not that the strings might not hold (and they aren't holding completely), but the tread is toast and I'm afraid that if I go too far or too fast I could end up with some 23 pin holes way before the Aramid fibers are showing.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions about getting a tire in this vacinity?

Thanks!
There is Rocky mountain Cycle Plaza in Colorado Springs.

They should be able to help you out.

Good luck.

Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza

412 N Chelton Rd

Colorado Springs, CO

https://rockymtncycleplaza.com/

Phone: (719) 591-9700

Maybe there is a local FJR member in the area with an extra tires. If you were in my area I always have an extra set on hand. Also, do you have any roadside service plans? At the very least I would think they could bring you out a tire? You could try the Harley location just up the street. This Harley location is also oen on Mondays. These guys might be your best luck and they are not a Harley dealership.
TDS Tire Distribution Systems

2220 Rand Ave

Colorado Springs, CO 80906

(719) 632-4686
That's a truck tire retread plant (I think), not a retail motorcycle tire store. Although I might be able to go back to Pueblo or up to Denver to get someone else's tires, I think TDS is for big rigs.

Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza412 N Chelton Rd

Colorado Springs, CO

https://rockymtncycleplaza.com/

Phone: (719) 591-9700
Yes I Googled them, too. They are not open on Mondays... which seems to be a real problem with metric shops around here. Apex Motorsports might be a good choice, but I don't know if they are open tomorrow (Monday).

And when I tried to get help from a Harley shop, they didn't seem to have the correct size changer, let alone the correct size tire. Maybe I could have a little luck with a BMW shop. There happens to be one of those nearby, too.

Matt - just tried your cell and left a message. As I told you, I have a new set of Storms and if you could get to KC your in business. In a worst case situation, I have the portable setup for my No-Mar if you think that you could get most of the way here but it sure would be easier in a shop.

Maybe I could throw Smitty in the back for a little mechanical inspiration. :yahoo:

Chester

FjrRocket, I'm sorry I'm not close by, could help you out, have 2 new Storms sitting in the living room. Damn. I too had the experience of the Storms getting very 'soft' at near end of life.

If you can, and it's a mess, use flat proof and limp on to where some shop or body can help.

BTW - I recall Barry, aka Airhead123? stating that the fjr1300 runs the same me880 as his old BMW... so the BMW dealer may be a best bet at this point..

Matt - just tried your cell and left a message. As I told you, I have a new set of Storms and if you could get to KC your in business. In a worst case situation, I have the portable setup for my No-Mar if you think that you could get most of the way here but it sure would be easier in a shop.
Maybe I could throw Smitty in the back for a little mechanical inspiration. :yahoo:

Chester
Thanks Chester, I might take you up on that. Just remember to turn your cell phone OFF during your dental appointment tomorrow. I know you'll be busy early in the afternoon, and we don't want to disturb your dentist while he's working. At least all that rain moved south of KC! BTW, aren't you glad you didn't come with? Sure missed some SWEET riding (and weather) while it lasted!

I would think that if I could make it to KC, I could probably make it home. But going ahead and getting another Storm would certainly be super under the circumstances. Heck, I may well end up with a sport bike tire, if I can find one. We'll see what the morning brings.

Just came in from putting in string set #3. We'll see how the pressure holds in the AM. The second go around I stopped and checked the pressure after about 45 minutes on the highway. It actually went up a pound and a half with the heating. So really the gooey strings did pretty well considering they got me from Durango to Co Springs.

Anyone else?

My buddy Matt, we need to talk... ridin around on old rubber.... You need one of these...

SmittyOnNoMar.jpg

Wait a minute, you have a tire changer.... I bet you even have New Tires at home, don't you...

Just giving you a little trouble, hope you find a tire.

Bummer dude. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I can't believe the sticky strings aren't working. I have used them many, many, times without a hitch. Weird.

As mentioned above, a can of fix-o-flat might be your best option until you can the tire changed. Not my first choice, but when out on the road where options are limited, a good choice. Even if you don't use it, I would buy a can to carry with you.

Good luck!

So what is with these Storms? Just too darned soft?

FjrRocket, I'm sorry I'm not close by, could help you out, have 2 new Storms sitting in the living room. Damn. I too had the experience of the Storms getting very 'soft' at near end of life. If you can, and it's a mess, use flat proof and limp on to where some shop or body can help.

BTW - I recall Barry, aka Airhead123? stating that the fjr1300 runs the same me880 as his old BMW... so the BMW dealer may be a best bet at this point..
Never heard of "flat proof", but I do have a can of "fix a flat" or something to that effect. I just don't want to make a big mess inside the rim if I can help it. But it is on board, as a last resort.

Yeah, the sad part is that this little ride was really to finish these Storms. I have a new set and a spare rear waiting at home. Lotta good THAT does me now, huh? :blink:

:rolleyes:

And YES Smitty I do have a No-Mar at home just waiting to install a fresh "WFO set". Thanks for kicking a dawg while he's down, brudda. :****:

Well SkooterG, the string DID work, for about 360 miles. I think it must be operator error. Still, since I haven't been all that successful at the flat fixing thing (although I'm DAMN glad I had all the stuff I needed to do it, and will certainly ALWAYS keep in on board), I still think I'll try to get a tire locally in the AM. Sigh.

Bummer dude. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I can't believe the sticky strings aren't working. I have used them many, many, times without a hitch. Weird.
As mentioned above, a can of fix-o-flat might be your best option until you can the tire changed. Not my first choice, but when out on the road where options are limited, a good choice. Even if you don't use it, I would buy a can to carry with you.

Good luck!

So what is with these Storms? Just too darned soft?
Skoot - As much as I love the Storms.. and the light input required to straf the apex even tighter while mid corner, they *seem* to have very soft underbellies. As experienced by my 18 holes in the last Storm..

I have 2 new rears and 1 new front sitting in the living room (I love the smell of fresh tires in the morning :rolleyes: ) and will test each to the max. If these too have excessive problems towards the end of life, I'll go back to the Roadies..

Back to thread.. Green Gunkie nasty sealant is your friend on the road. I'm happy to say that I'm now at the point I don't care what the #$@# it looks like, if it runs and gets me home, it's my bud.. Chrome don't get you home..

One last thought... I had one really weak rear and still needed to get 800 mile out of it.. *BEFORE* plugging I put 2 bottles of Slime in it, then plugged it,then inflated it.. Yes, it was a terrible mess after I was home.. But the point is, I as HOME dealing with the mess.

Green Gunkie .. Yes, it was a terrible mess after I was home.. But the point is, I as HOME dealing with the mess.
Excellent point, well taken!

You talkin about this?:

yellow_b.jpg
YES! That is the best, nastiest, ugly, PITA - hole sealer available. Trust me, after you get home, and are dealing with the nastinest, you will wonder why the #$#$@ did I use this stuff... Then, remember, you are HOME, with hot water and a shower, :rolleyes: , dealing with the mess.

...and, my experinece, don't let it sit in the rim any longer than needed. It's nasty, corrosive, and basically your bet with the devil. So use it, get to a proper fix, then deal with the ugliness. :puke:

BTW - not to diminish your situation, but you are having FUN, an ADVENTURE, while the rest of us slobs have nothing more than to look forward to work in AM...

No offense taken? :rolleyes:

No offense taken? :rolleyes:
Not at all. It's been stressfull today but yesterday was a blast. And Believe me, I'd rather be MY kind of stuck than HAL's kind of stuck.

I really saw some cool scenery today. I was expecting a lot worse. It was supposed to be 96, and it ended up only 86 at the worst. And I got to go over a 72 degree 9K foot pass, too. I thought the ride would be all low lands and desert. Not in the least!

Truth be told, if I CAN get a tire, I'll probably turn back toward the mountains and do the NE corner of the state. But I'm not holding my breath.

I don't have to be anywhere until next week, but I was hoping to get home before the 4th and do some other stuff....

Pressure's holding with the tire up on the center stand. Lessee what the cool morning brings....

Glad to see your using the centerstand !!! :rolleyes:
Yes, it seems I learned that from another form member's plight. ;)

I did have the bike on the side stand briefly when it went totally flat ( I wasn't sure that it was all the way flat). I've ground my side stand stop to get a bit of an increased lean angle when deployed, so it sat there OK. But I wasn't about to chance it.

I guess there's no forum members in the Denver/Co Springs area who can recommed a shop???

If you do go the Slime route, they have tube and tubeless. Be sure to get the tubeless. I used the tube type in my KLR and put almost 5,000 miles on that tire. With my tube I had zero mess but obviously the tube contained the Slime.

Standing by to do what I can. The dental is at 3:30 so let me know before or after 4:00 or so.

Chester

If you can get to Denver, you might try Performance Cycle. They do aftermarket stuff and have a big tire inventory. Good folks and reasonably priced, but Don't mount them.

1990 S Broadway

Denver, CO 80210

(303) 744-2011

Fay Myers Honda is probably your best bet, is located right of I25 on the south side of Denver. They are open Mondays.

Fay Myers Motorcycle World

9700 E. Arapahoe Rd. Greenwood Village CO 80112

Phone: (303) 744-6632 Fax: (303) 539-5089

PM me if you need any help if you get up this way. I've got a garage but no tire changer. But glad to provide you transportation or any other help.

Steve

sent you a PM with a contact number.

Edit: never mind.... it was Steve's contact info. I must have that ESPN stuff.

B)