Help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a stubborn filter once. The best tool I found in the end was a rubber strap wrench. It worked really well for the job. Kolbalt brand fwiw.

820909505402md.jpg

Apparently available at your local Lowes.

Annnnnnnd use this method for keeping the oil off the bottom panel arm that runs under the filter with the little foam piece that sucks up oil for dripping. And don't forget to use the 4mm allen wrench to remove the one large fastener that retains this body work under the oil filter so you can wrap the aluminum foil around it. Easy peaszy.... no drips no spills, no errors. PM. <>< ;) FJRTech

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a stubborn filter once. The best tool I found in the end was a rubber strap wrench. It worked really well for the job. Kolbalt brand fwiw.
820909505402md.jpg

Apparently available at your local Lowes.
I have a similar filter wrench that I bought somewhere in the past 40 odd years, except that the "strap" part is made of metal instead of rubber. It isn't as infinitely adjustable as those rubber strap wrenches, but I seem to recall that there are two sizes, one for smaller diameter filters like on the Feej, and a bigger one for the large diameter filters like you'd find on domestic cages. These wrnches always get a good grip because the force you apply to loosen the filter also tightens the wrench's grip, kind'a like a chinese finger trap.

chinese-finger-trap.jpg

Never ever drive a screw driver through an oil filter that is stuck. Use Channel Locks, thats what god made them for.
I just bought an oil filter wrench a few weeks ago and haven't used it yet, but for the 35 years before that I've always used a screwdriver stabbed through the old filter. Never had a problem with it other than the mess it makes.

Thirty five years of success and now you go and buy a wrench?

Never ever drive a screw driver through an oil filter that is stuck. Use Channel Locks, thats what god made them for.
I just bought an oil filter wrench a few weeks ago and haven't used it yet, but for the 35 years before that I've always used a screwdriver stabbed through the old filter. Never had a problem with it other than the mess it makes.

Sometimes you just need a new toy. Or, maybe the screwdriver broke. :unsure:

The screwdriver isn't broke, but let's be honest, an oil filter wrench isn't a 'need', it's a convenience item. As such, it has never been anywhere near the top of my shopping list until now. I change the oil every 5000 miles, so it's not something that comes up very often. I like the way you think, though. :)

The screwdriver isn't broke, but let's be honest, an oil filter wrench isn't a 'need', it's a convenience item. As such, it has never been anywhere near the top of my shopping list until now. I change the oil every 5000 miles, so it's not something that comes up very often. I like the way you think, though. :)
This should get credit for the most delayed reply ever.

Glad to hear someone else has used the good ole screw driver :) I have changed my oil lots of times without any problems with the exception of my last change. That SOB would not come off no matter what I did. I purchased a couple filter removers like the ones posted above and still no luck. Then I decided to use the screw driver and it still would not come off! I literally tore the filter in half and had to use pliers to grab what filter I had left to remove it. ( What a damn mess that was ) Now, I have been changing filters for many many years on bikes and have never had this problem! I am due again for another change and wondering if it will go a little easier. I do know one thing that probably added to the problem is that I did not let the bike heat up long enough.

This should get credit for the most delayed reply ever.
No, THIS reply should! :assassin: