Hi all.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithereens

Reaction score
I purchased my first fjr back in late April-2008 with a few add ons. It’s a great bike that’s a hoot to ride and relatively easy to maintain-so far I’ve done all the basic stuff —renewing as the oils and coolant, flushing and bleeding the clutch and brakes, greasing the splines, changing the tires and adding a few extras -V steam window, Givi 357 rack and V47 top box. It’s becoming more fn by the day.

I purchased my first fjr back in late April-2008 with a few add ons. It’s a great bike that’s a hoot to ride and relatively easy to maintain-so far I’ve done all the basic stuff —renewing as the oils and coolant, flushing and bleeding the clutch and brakes, greasing the splines, changing the tires and adding a few extras -V steam window, Givi 357 rack and V47 top box. It’s becoming more fn by the day.
Congratulations! and welcome from New Brunswick, Canada.

Did you check that recalls were performed - there were two for 2008.
Ground junction (aka "spider") and ignition switch.

You should also look to make sure that the cam chain tensioner (CCT) is the newer design - identified by a blue or green dot on the mounting flange. May be difficult to see without removing plastic but an inspection mirror might work. Original design had a few failures reported with catastrophic damage to engines. I believe Yamaha switched to the improved CCT sometime during the 2008 model year.

Clean and grease the rear brake pivot as well as shifter linkage - both should be done annually. Also the brake and clutch levers - especially the brass bushing in the clutch lever that actuates the clutch. Will last forever if maintained or wear out in a year if neglected.

Edit to add image of "Blue Dot" CCT

1726107931412.png

Last edited:
Congrats, and welcome from Arendal, Norway. Ride safe🏍️🙏.