Hi Visabily clothing & the Police

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric W

Reaction score
Im getting ready to spend a bunch of Bucks with Wayne at Cycleport Kevlar Ultra mesh II Jacket & Pants. the pants will be black with a reflective stripe down the leg. But im Having a heck of a time Deciding on How Hi Vis I want the jacket to be. It will either be Black with plenty of yellow reflective striping front & rear, Or solid yellow with black trim & plenty of striping front & rear (also Yellow) Im wondering about two things ! Target fixation from cagers, And has anyone ever felt that the extra visability might have drawn unwanted attention from the police. Or perhaps it might be just the opposite, the police leaving an enthusiast alone that knows how to dress for protection A.T.G.A.T.T. your input is appreciated Thanks Eric.

I don't think Hi-Vis clothing is going to attract cops. However, it might make you easier for an angry cager dialing 911 to describe after you have pulled squiddly moves around them.

However, I have Hi-Vis clothing, red riding suit with yellow helmet to complete the rodeo clown look. I would rather be alive for the ticket...than dead from the cross-turner cager who "never saw me".

+1

Another point is the Po-po thinks dudes all decked out in spiffy ATTGAT on baggers are probably old fahts (kind'a like us), so they tend to leave us alone and go look for some young squids doing wheelies on liter bikes or raging 1%'ers on ratted out Hardleys.

BTW - I hear that HiViz ATTGAT is what the really, really old fahts wear. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a yellow Stich and yellow Shoei and if anything I have people seeing me better. I can actually see their eyes and head bob to me more often.

Added bonus...it seems more often when I come up behind somebody squatting in the left lane...they'll pull over to the right. And I think it's because they think I'm a cop or something.

And I get more nods from cops than I used to. The time or two I've been pulled over....I think they think I'm a safety oriented....speeder. ;)

To me it's all pluses and no minuses....unless you count masquerading as old faht in the minus column.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were considering Hi-Vis Motoport gear, I'd ask for a written guarantee that after a couple of years it won't look like the pics that a couple of forum members have posted. I chose silver and white for my jacket, and haven't noticed any problems being seen. YMMV.

Mike

I'm in! I traded looks for functionality. Definitely get a lot more double-takes when wearing the Hi-Viz dork jacket. I see the driver starting to pull out on me, line up my escape route and then see the realization dawn that someone is using HIS/HER road. Doesn't happen that way with a black jacket.

Just stay out of Napa. These shitards don't give a phuck what you wear or what you're doing, they're gonna write your ass up.

JMHO.

Mark

The mention of ATGATT and the police got me thinking. The motorcycle cops here in AZ do not appear to wear much protective gear. During the summer it is short sleeve shirts,and the pants look like regular uniform pants. I hope the pants have some armor,or at least kevlar. Are the bike cops in other states as unprotected??

Mike

Motorcycle troopers in WA tend to wear short-sleeve shirts and thin breathable pants when the temps get around 70 or higher. I ride in full track leathers on the weekends and I never get hot enough to be uncomfortable.

Go with the Hi-Viz. I think it helps and the cops like to see riders in good gear that prevents injuries and crashes. Less paper work.

In California the Highway Patrol wears short sleeve shirts, wool pants, riding boots, and 3/4 helments. In the winter some wear leather jackets with no armor. Some of the local cops have started wearing flip up helmets.

And sunglasses. They all wear sunglasses.

I know for certain this is true 'cause I used to watch CHiPS! ;)

It is somewhat ironic that the guys that are responsible for enforcing your safety do not have mandatory safety gear, and choose not to wear any. In my business, the influence of OSHA has us wearing mandatory PPE for every task we perform or risk losing your employment (if caught) and not collecting your benefits in the event of an accident with preventable injuries. :blink:

Let's not forget the LEO's probably wear a Kevlar vest under their shirts.

LEOs on and off bike 100 times a day in the hot sun writing tickets in a jacket, just too impractical.

Also agree with the above LEO don;t care what you wear. It is how you ride.

In California the Highway Patrol wears short sleeve shirts, wool pants, riding boots, and 3/4 helments. In the winter some wear leather jackets with no armor. Some of the local cops have started wearing flip up helmets.
I asked an L.A. city motor cop about this when I was a teenager. His response was "we don't fall off". Hmmmmm....

However, given what I've seen them do as far as training goes, he may not have been too far off the mark.

Eric - before you get the hi viz gear, as another poster said - be sure to check out what the hi viz gear will look like in a year or two. There have been instances where the hi viz gear has significantly faded.

With that said, I have a hi viz Scorpion helmet that is eventually going to fade, and the Aerostitch transit suit that won't (I hope).

My hi-vis Olympia jacket has not faded in any significant amount. I keep it clean by occasionally washing it with Nikwax Tech Wash or plain 'ol Woolite. I don't use any harsh detergents. Over the last 2+ years, the jacket probably has at least 30K miles on it and it is still an obnoxiously bright orange.

My next jacket will also be hi-vis. My personal taste is for jackets that are about 50/50 hi-vis and silver/gray/black with lots of reflective piping.

I wear a Hi-Viz Olympia jacket. The only problem I have with it is that I am the only person in my community wearing HiViz. When I do get the attention of local LEO there is no arguing that it might have been some other guy they saw doing that crazy stuff.