Hi Visabily clothing & the Police

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely wave to other riders, but I always wave to the local cops. If I ever get stopped, I'm hoping they'll remember me as the friendly biker wearing the hi-viz yellow jacket who always waves at them. Maybe I'll get a warning instead a performance award.

I've worked for a Police Deptarment for years, and I've never heard of a motor unit pulling someone based solely on their lack of visibility.

Driving like a squid, however, WILL get attention.

...or when the dispatchers put out an 'Info doc' on a recklessly driven motorcycle.. any bored units in the district will go on a hunt.

I've worked for a Police Deptarment for years, and I've never heard of a motor unit pulling someone based solely on their lack of visibility.
Driving like a squid, however, WILL get attention.

I learned a long time ago that if you feel like a racer boy while traveling down the road, you probably look like one to the local LEOs. It's not how fast you go...it's how you go fast. As luck would have it, I've found both my FJRs to be absolutely invisible to cops. I love it.

I was on my way home from work this past week, stopped at a 4-way stop. Getting ready to cross the intersection when it caught my attention that the minivan approaching from my right was NOT slowing down! I layed on my horn as this woman blew right through her stop sign without ever slowing at all. Her head never even deviated from her transfixed straight ahead gaze. She was totally unaware of my presence, or what she had just done. As others have pointed out, you simply can't make yourself visible enough to the zombies they allow to operate motor vehicles on public roadways. I always ride like I'm invisible to cagers. If they can't catch me, they can't hurt me. If hi-viz gear makes you feel like you're improving your odds, more power to ya...just don't bet your life on it.

The mention of ATGATT and the police got me thinking. The motorcycle cops here in AZ do not appear to wear much protective gear. During the summer it is short sleeve shirts,and the pants look like regular uniform pants. I hope the pants have some armor,or at least kevlar. Are the bike cops in other states as unprotected??
Mike
Of the many cities that I have lived in or been through, I see MC cops wearing little to no protection in the summer. Usually, they wear leathers in the winter. It doesn't appear that they wear the omnipresent bullet proof vests that the rest of cops wear either which are credited with saving many cops' lives when in car wrecks.

Of the many cities that I have lived in or been through, I see MC cops wearing little to no protection in the summer. Usually, they wear leathers in the winter. It doesn't appear that they wear the omnipresent bullet proof vests that the rest of cops wear either which are credited with saving many cops' lives when in car wrecks.
I can't speak for the officers in Colorado, but I work in LE here in Washington and have many friends who are motor officers. I can guaran-damn-tee you that all I know and work with wear a protective vest under their shirt!

How can I be so sure? Because if they should be shot, and it is found that they were not wearing their ballistic vest (NOT "bullet proof) at the time, they have just given away their rights for coverage under the various Labor and Industries/Health Care/Insurance coverages. Use of vests here is mandatory because of that.

Not to be picky, but there is a world of difference between "bullet proof" and a ballistic vest. Think of the pictures you've seen of our front line military troops... those exterior vests with the additional panels are considered "bullet proof", although they won't stop many high velocity rounds in common use. The ballistic vests LE wears daily under their uniform shirts are rated to stop many common handgun rounds, but very few higher velocity rounds such as from a long gun. They are also not much, if any, good against an edged weapon or spike type intrusion.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming... :unsure:

Don

Not to bring up anything, but I believe I remember someone saying (my father's a policeman, but I can't remember if he told me or if it was from another source), that a good portion of motorcycle policeman are viewed almost as public relations positions. And I remember them saying that they don't wear gear so they can smile and wave at the locals and whatnot.

Certainly the bike offers distinct advantages over a car when chasing, pulling over, or responding to certain crimes. However I personally have never seen a motorcycle cop doing anything that a car unit couldn't be doing.

BUT, the motorcycle cops are seen, can be talked to, and you can put a face to a policeman rather than just seeing a car. So it may make police stations look nicer, safer, more "for the people". Especially when you see them in parades, leading processions, etc. Kinda like a mounted (horse) cop. Yes, the horse is trained to pin a person against the wall at command, yes the horse can run in parks and trails after someone where a vehicle can't, but they mounted police seem to be more of a public relations thing. In parades, giving directions, photos, that sorta stuff. BUT, they can and will respond to a call if needed.

Alexi

PS - The Public Relations line have any merit? I can see it....but I don't know if that's a part of it.